« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Thinking of a Freelander 2 - a few questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
StuDisco3

Thinking of a Freelander 2 - a few questions

Hi Guys,

I have a Disco3 which is primarily used as our family car. I also have an X Type Jag which I use for work. The Jag stacks up on paper and is an economical buy, but my heart is with the D3. To that end I'd like to have a D3 for work, but I do a shed load of miles and it doesn't really stack up financially. I am considering my options:

Stick with the Jag, it's economical but boring and doesn't excite me.

Get a Diesel Focus or similar which will be even more economical and more boring but will free up some cash for toys for the D3 etc.

Get a Freelander 2 - middle of the road option in terms of economy but I'm sure it would make me a lot happier.

So that's the background here's the questions:

What MPG do you guys get? I've heard there is a big difference between auto and manual?

Is there a spec sheet anywhere that shows what model comes with what? I have an HSE D3 so will want quite a few toys on it.

What sort of money do they start at?

Anything I need to look out for?

Do you guys have the same EPB and the same issues with it as the D3 has?

Thanks in advance!

Post #57860 2nd Feb 2010 7:16 pm
J T

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

Stu,

No EPB, Thank god.

Manual MPG all round, 34, bit more on the Mway bit less if the wife drives it.

HSE has most of the toys from the D3 but hasn't got the off road sat nav screens, and no low range.

Ours has been 100%, fantastic motor.

Post #57861 2nd Feb 2010 7:28 pm
StuDisco3

The Off road Sat Nav is a pile of poo IMHO, so not worried about that. So you guys have a big handle that you pull up when you don't want the car to roll away - sounds like a great idea - it might catch on! EPB is a good idea but poorly engineered.

I will mainly be doing MWay miles so I'd like to think I could get more MPG than 34, am I being too hopeful?

No low range and no air suspension are a shame, but for off roading I'll use the D3, mines has got sump guard and MTR's etc. so it's pretty sorted for the muddy stuff now.

I'm just after something for commuting that will handle a bit of snow, and muddy fields etc. I'd definately take it off road on occasions just to compare with a D3.

Thanks for the info so far, please keep it coming!

Post #57874 2nd Feb 2010 8:16 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

Sounds like the FL2 would fit your requirements well. Best advice is to take a test drive. Phil

Post #57876 2nd Feb 2010 8:22 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

just got my 2nd fl2 and love them Thumbs Up getting 33-34 round town,but 39-41 on long motorway runs,cruse control set at just under 70 mph,just below 2000rpm,not fast enough for some i know,but its better on ur pocket.i have a new gs e manual.and £175 road tax is good if its a stop/start u get. Razz

Post #57877 2nd Feb 2010 8:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Ur more likely to get 38 mpg on s motorway run.

Good motors, landrover support isnt the most understanding but u'd already know that being an existing LR owner. Just lucky you dont have to use it much or at all.

Remember the more gadgets the more to go wrong - if it hasnt got it, it cannot go wrong !

Post #57878 2nd Feb 2010 8:30 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

gilfishman wrote:
just got my 2nd fl2 and love them Thumbs Up getting 33-34 round town,but 39-41 on long motorway runs,cruse control set at just under 70 mph,just below 2000rpm,not fast enough for some i know,but its better on ur pocket.i have a new gs e manual.and £175 road tax is good if its a stop/start u get. Razz

Is your FL" new or used? Reason I ask is that I have complained to the dealer about my fuel economy on my HSE Manual = Ave 26.7 MPG on 1200 miles so far from new. They told me it takes between 6 to 7000 miles till you get normal economy (strange I wasn't told that when considering purchace).

To add to this I don't have the aircon on at all with the climate control. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #57892 2nd Feb 2010 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilfishman

shes new,just under 2000 miles now.nov 2010.in that very cold snap 3 weeks ago,i suppose u could knock off 2 mpg about town driving,but she spent most of the time in tr snow/ice setting.

Post #57894 2nd Feb 2010 9:56 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

I do mainly motorway driving, and I get on a run 42mpg - steady 70 ( boring ... )......

Combined cycle is around 34.

Fuel economy is the ONLY reason I didnt get a D3 Sad 

Post #57897 2nd Feb 2010 10:11 pm
The Valeter

gilfishman wrote:
shes new,just under 2000 miles now.nov 2010.in that very cold snap 3 weeks ago,i suppose u could knock off 2 mpg about town driving,but she spent most of the time in tr snow/ice setting.

Same as me then - mine was 28th November & I used the snow/ice setting. Is yours auto or manual? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #57898 2nd Feb 2010 10:21 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Executive Valeter wrote:
gilfishman wrote:

Is your FL" new or used? Reason I ask is that I have complained to the dealer about my fuel economy on my HSE Manual = Ave 26.7 MPG on 1200 miles so far from new. They told me it takes between 6 to 7000 miles till you get normal economy (strange I wasn't told that when considering purchace).

To add to this I don't have the aircon on at all with the climate control.

Do you press the stalk to reset the figures once its warm ?

I was told exactly the same when I moaned about the mpg when mine was new. 10500 miles later it still does the same but it kept me quiet at the time. Rolling Eyes

Post #57900 2nd Feb 2010 10:21 pm
gilfishman

mines new,nov 22 2010,manual,if u reset the stalk when warmer up then its not a true reading i thought,i set mine just after starting cold to 0,then see what mpg she shows when i get to my destination,i done it when shes warmed up and it shows 65-70 mpg Confused Thumbs Up we wish,.. but then slowly goes down a will stabilise to the true mpg,this will be slightly more than reading from cold engine start up.... this is my thinking anyway,...i my be wrong Thumbs Up

Post #57901 2nd Feb 2010 10:37 pm
The Valeter

I have only re-set it once & that was not long after I got it. I have just left it which should be a true reading as it has been left surely? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #57905 2nd Feb 2010 10:58 pm
Carnoch

Hey, don't slag off the Disco. The EPB is fine. Very handy, never screwed up, but thats is on a 2009 model, dont know if the earlier versions were a waste of time. The low ratio, i have yet to use. The air suspension is dandy, but pointless. Means you can swap to Xenons without getting the headlights reset. Don't forget the Rock Crawl on the TR. That said, the TR is a waste of time too, unless Miss Daisy is driving it. It's a security blanket for nervous drivers.

MPG is roughly 29. Thats for a 12 mile trip to the shops. I can get up to 35 if I watch the foot. The FL2 is 33 for the same trip, driven the same way, it's not a stop/start. Personally, I think the stop/start is just con to get it in a lower tax bracket. It's also false economy, work out the differential in tax and the mpg and it wouldn't justify you buying a new one for that. Take it over 3 years and 30k miles and the saving you'd make would be roughly 700 quid or 230 a year. If you need to save that, maybe you'd be better off with one of these Seat Eco models that does 90 mpg. I think they give you two paper bags. One for you and one for the front passenger.

Post #57907 2nd Feb 2010 11:04 pm
The Valeter

Sounds to me that there must be something wrong with mine at an average of less than 27MPG on amanual with no aircon use - Am I right? (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.

Post #57916 3rd Feb 2010 12:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>