Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 to be phased out?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

The LRX is an additional vehicle & is not to replace the Freelander but to fill a gap in their sales domain.

I was also told the pricing is to be aimed at the younger market & at sub £20K.
As said earlier the Freelander is to good a seller to fade out & likely as much if there was/were no Freelander to date the possibility is there may be no Landrover either now! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #57591 30th Jan 2010 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I was at one of the LR 'Only By Appointment' events today at the army proving course at Longcross, great day by the way.
They spoke about the release of the LRX and referred to it as the new 'Compact Range Rover'.
The LRX is to compliment the range and not replace the Freelander.
Also had a sit in the D4 and what a comfortable feeling car that was Thumbs Up 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #57593 30th Jan 2010 7:35 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Have you seen how small the LRX is going to be compared with even the Freelander? Check out Land Rover's website and hidden away in the website there's a video with an LRX parked infront of a Freelander 2 silhouette.

There's going to be a another all new small off roader by the end of the decade...expect a concept around 2015... Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #57596 30th Jan 2010 8:20 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Carnoch wrote:
Hardly starting an unfounded rumour! Rolling Eyes It just shows you how people interpret the same words differently.

It's a legitimate question and sticking your head in the sand isn't an answer, nor is dismissing the question as rubbish. I do accept your right to a point of view, so perhaps you'd extend the courtesy. If you can't then ignore the post with the obvious contempt it deserves.

Historically, manufacturers change or modify models after a number of years or we wouldn't be onto the FL2.

As for the Defender, it's not part of the question, nor is where it will be made. That said that particular model is probably the exception to the rule.

Carnoch: Sorry if I misunderstood your meaning slightly. But by speculating that with the introduction of the LRX, the FL2 will be phased out, certainly sounded like unfounded speculation (rumour was the wrong word used by me), as we all have heard plans for a FL3/Ventura in the pipeline. My remarks about the Defender's future, of course had nothing to do with the LRX/FL2/FL3 and should not have been used by me to make an comparison. However, time will tell what LR will introduce but as earlier stated, my money is still on a FL3 in addition to the LRX. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #57598 30th Jan 2010 8:40 pm
Carnoch

There is that too it. Mind you if you put a normal saloon car next to the FL2, it would look tiny, but when I had one, I seemed to manage as 99% of the population does.

That said, I think the FL2 is a reasonably small vehicle with an even smaller boot. Then my other car, the Disco, I don't see as being large, it's just about right. Maybe I've just got used to the size. I haven't driven or been a passenger in a hatchback or saloon car for more than 2 years. I'd have a fright being so close to the ground, but then I'd not have to use step ladders to wash the roof either.

Post #57599 30th Jan 2010 8:45 pm
Carnoch

AndyC, thanks and no problem, you had a snap and I replied. Forget it, life is too short.

Post #57600 30th Jan 2010 8:48 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

If the history of practically every other vehicle built goes, 1st of all you get a cosmetic 'refresh', usually exterior. Followed by a major facelift to include fascia and door casings cosmetic + some new techno + maybe a power unit upgrade as Disco 3 to 4. Then in the autumn of the vehicles life more exterior cosmetic with feature being thrown at the lower spec. F/L2 has hardly set course yet on this journey, so I certainly do not see LRX as a replacement, maybe a spun off relative like VW Golf to Audi TT.
Where this takes F/L3 only the prophets and market trends know but just remember how long F/L1 was in production, for those interested in the gestation, the influences on the product and its life from conception to replacement. may I suggest reading a Haynes publication on Freelander (1). After all F/L2 is a totally different vehicle to the old F/l1 whose practical virtues I still mourn. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #57609 30th Jan 2010 9:29 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

The LRX will be quite smaller and lower then the FL2 so I don't think it will replace it.

Post #57613 30th Jan 2010 9:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Christ that is small compared to the LR2 on landrovers website.

I read on You tube they are looking at £38k for it ! I dont think so funny enough.

Post #57616 30th Jan 2010 9:59 pm
Lr2maker

United Kingdom 
No we are not!! Relax people. Bit of time line for you.

Fl2 facelift next then fl3/ventura few years after that. Won't get into timeframes things change daily here due to midlands plant closure. Lrx out march 11. 5dr and 3dr. Hybrids in development. Be mid decade before you see major changes. Halewood to do lr2-3, lrx and new jaguars all together. Live your life be free-lander

Post #57639 31st Jan 2010 3:13 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the update Lr2maker Thumbs Up Good to have our minds put at rest Wink 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #57640 31st Jan 2010 3:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #57642 31st Jan 2010 3:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12