Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 to be phased out?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Carnoch

Freelander 2 to be phased out?

Pure speculation, but I wonder when the LRX comes into production in 2011, if they will phase out the FL2?

Personally, I can't see LR introducing a new vehicle to their line up per se, after all the FL2 will be 5 years old by then and is either due a revamp or replaced.

The LRX will probably come in at 25k or thereabout, in essence in direct competition with the new model.

Lets face it, no matter how much we like it, then the design will be old and the 'status quo' will not be maintained.

Sounds like a good name for a pop group!

I know some will po po the idea, but LR is a commercial organisation, with costs. They are also a firm with vision.

Post #57522 30th Jan 2010 12:41 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

The LRX will be a very high spec motor and way more expensive than the current FL2 so I think not.

Just my 2p's Rolling Eyes

Post #57523 30th Jan 2010 12:49 pm
Carnoch

Fair point, but I've been reading up on it and the LRX will be mid priced compared to the FL2, so I suppose XS sort of price for the base model and the high spec ones in excess of the HSE. All conjecture.

It's either replace or like the FL1, a makeover, including body shell. It's a concern when I am thinking of buying a new one to replace the one I have. I know you can't second guess what LR will do, but something will happen.

Post #57524 30th Jan 2010 12:55 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Do a poll to get a true feeling, I'd bet my Censored they dont Thumbs Up

Post #57525 30th Jan 2010 1:27 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

We have already been told by or inside source that there will be a FL3 and a LRX, so starting unfounded rumours that there will not be a future for the Freelander is just as remote as rumouring that LR prodution will be moved to India Rolling Eyes

As it also has been remarked that the Defender replacement will be produced in India, so I would rather put my money on LR flagging out rather than no future Freely Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #57538 30th Jan 2010 4:16 pm
Carnoch

Hardly starting an unfounded rumour! Rolling Eyes It just shows you how people interpret the same words differently.

It's a legitimate question and sticking your head in the sand isn't an answer, nor is dismissing the question as rubbish. I do accept your right to a point of view, so perhaps you'd extend the courtesy. If you can't then ignore the post with the obvious contempt it deserves.

Historically, manufacturers change or modify models after a number of years or we wouldn't be onto the FL2.

As for the Defender, it's not part of the question, nor is where it will be made. That said that particular model is probably the exception to the rule.

Post #57539 30th Jan 2010 4:33 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Well put carnoch Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #57541 30th Jan 2010 4:37 pm
j77

Scotland 

You are correct that the fl2 will be replaced, but not with the LRX. it will be replaced with the fl3. The freelander has always been a good seller for land rover, so i don't think they will drop this model at the moment.

Post #57543 30th Jan 2010 4:45 pm
Carnoch

Thanks Dave, for a mo, I wondered if I had strayed onto the Disco forum. The bickering on there is an issue for a lot of members. I did think the FL2 forum was a bit more friendly and tolerant.

Post #57545 30th Jan 2010 4:47 pm
Carnoch

J77 - Any idea what sort of time scale for the FL3?

Post #57546 30th Jan 2010 4:53 pm
athelstan

My own "insider" tells me firmly that there will be FL3 (Ventura or whatever name it finally gets for market.)

On the subject of Defender: the next generation will possibly be available in either lower cost steel, or alloy shells. It is an option that steel versions will be made/assembled in India. India being closer to developing nations' export markets of Africa and Asia that are high on the marketing agenda for very much increased global sales of Defender. Cheaper steel bodied Japanese and Korean 4x4's have had their price advantage unchallenged in these arenas for too long.

LRX (again, or whatever name it finally gets for market at Geneva launch) broadly speaking it will be priced tactically to fit into the LR product family with base model LRX more expensive than mid-range FL2, and hi-spec LRX less than Discovery but more expensive than best FL2 makeover.

Post #57547 30th Jan 2010 4:57 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Good thread. I think from what we know the two models will cross over into each others territory - But then the FL2 and disco crosses over.
Only thing is the LRX is freelander one size so for the people that thought it was great to have the extra space in the FL2 it could be a backwards step.
I do think they need to be careful where they go with there prices with the LRX as they will soon price there selves out of the market.

Post #57551 30th Jan 2010 5:11 pm
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

In terms of sales volume, the FL2 is the bread 'n' butter product, selling more than all other models combined. The 'LRX' won't have a £20K entry level version so cannot replace the FL2 in terms of volume, although it will sell very well. I'll wager that there'll be a fairly significant facelift to the FL2 which will probably be branded FL3, probably for late 2012.

Post #57560 30th Jan 2010 5:53 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Sorry I thought you meant no freelander full stop.

It will, no doubt be called an FL3 at some point yes but they wont replace it with the LRX Thumbs Up

Post #57564 30th Jan 2010 6:04 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

AndyT wrote:
In terms of sales volume, the FL2 is the bread 'n' butter product, selling more than all other models combined. The 'LRX' won't have a £20K entry level version so cannot replace the FL2 in terms of volume, although it will sell very well. I'll wager that there'll be a fairly significant facelift to the FL2 which will probably be branded FL3, probably for late 2012.

There are some huge facelifts coming out in 2012 from our Japanese friends so it will be logical for LR to do the same. However will they bother with a facelift ? Makes me wonder when there still releasing models ie the new sport FL2 thing.

My wager is "the facelift" will consist of led lights front and rear like the new disco and ranger but there will be nothing huge.

The next step will be the FL3 but beings the models all now look similar I dont know what they will change.

Post #57568 30th Jan 2010 6:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>