Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Removing a Stripped Torx Filler Plug
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

If the plug is steel and the body aluminum (I think they are), then the coefficients of expansion will work in you favor with heat... the aluminum will expand more than the steel, and that might also break or ease the corrosion bond.

Post #434608 1st Aug 2023 11:35 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Aluminium is about twice that of steel. So you could heat up the entire area. Then use some electronic freeze spray on the steel.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/freezing-spray-can/p/NA1000

(Also good for freezing ticks in Australia, we always take a can when camping) Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #434609 2nd Aug 2023 1:14 am
CaptainBarnacles

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Bobupndown wrote:
Arc welding will be fine, you're not looking for pretty welding just strong and the heat will definitely help. Tack a big flat washer to the fill plug then a decent sized nut M10 or bigger for the size of the fill plug on to the top and fill the centre with weld, concentrating as much heat as possible to the plug. If your washer is bigger than the nut you can tack the outside as well. While it's still warm get a socket onto it and hopefully wind it out. 🤞

Thumbs Up

Sounds like this could be the solution, thank you. Does the plug need to be particularly clean to weld to or will the heat just vaporise off any oil etc? Are there likely to be any rubber o-rings etc in the vicinity that might be damaged by the heat or will the heat stay fairly localised? 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434611 2nd Aug 2023 8:58 am
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

There is an O-ring on the filler plug.

Post #434612 2nd Aug 2023 9:03 am
CaptainBarnacles

OK, so I need to have a replacement plug on hand or at least a replacement o-ring. I'll see if I can pick one up locally. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434613 2nd Aug 2023 9:07 am
CaptainBarnacles

Looks like LR000876 is the replacement plug, can anyone confirm this please?

Just going back to the TC, what happens if/when it fails altogether? Will I just lose drive and have to get the vehicle recovered? Is it a catastrophic failure that can take out other components etc? 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434614 2nd Aug 2023 9:36 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

When you get the plug out, make sure the replacement is only torqued to 7Nm, which is the figure given in the workshop manual. 7Nm is nothing, literally just tight enough so it doesn't vibrate loose. The rubber seal does the sealing, not how tight it is. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434615 2nd Aug 2023 9:48 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

CaptainBarnacles wrote:
Bobupndown wrote:
Arc welding will be fine, you're not looking for pretty welding just strong and the heat will definitely help. Tack a big flat washer to the fill plug then a decent sized nut M10 or bigger for the size of the fill plug on to the top and fill the centre with weld, concentrating as much heat as possible to the plug. If your washer is bigger than the nut you can tack the outside as well. While it's still warm get a socket onto it and hopefully wind it out. 🤞

Thumbs Up

Sounds like this could be the solution, thank you. Does the plug need to be particularly clean to weld to or will the heat just vaporise off any oil etc? Are there likely to be any rubber o-rings etc in the vicinity that might be damaged by the heat or will the heat stay fairly localised?

I'd just remove any oily residue that might still be there with brake cleaner or similar first.
Let us know how you get on. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434616 2nd Aug 2023 10:18 am
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Nodge68 wrote:
When you get the plug out, make sure the replacement is only torqued to 7Nm, which is the figure given in the workshop manual. 7Nm is nothing, literally just tight enough so it doesn't vibrate loose. The rubber seal does the sealing, not how tight it is.

The overflow torx bolt is 7Nm but the filler torx which I think we are talking about here, is 39Nm according to the workshop manual. Seems too high.

Post #434617 2nd Aug 2023 10:45 am
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Here is what I would do......Assuming that I can get my drill near the plug

1. Drill a small hole in the center for extraction later

2. Drill out the Torx until the head breaks off.
I did this for the drain side (picture is for reference only)

Click image to enlarge

3. With the head removed then use the extractor to remove the threads
Click image to enlarge

4. Stop using the T55 and switch to something like this (with an aluminum washer not shown)
Click image to enlarge

Before I upgraded the fill plug I would tighten the T55 to about 10NM and when I removed it a year later it took over 100 NM. The design is not serviceable. Don't blame the mechanics this is a design flaw not an assembly problem.

Take care

Paul

Post #434624 2nd Aug 2023 4:41 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I would be very concerned about the possibility of introducing swarf into the gearbox doing it like that. 🤔 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434625 2nd Aug 2023 4:49 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

JonMs wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
When you get the plug out, make sure the replacement is only torqued to 7Nm, which is the figure given in the workshop manual. 7Nm is nothing, literally just tight enough so it doesn't vibrate loose. The rubber seal does the sealing, not how tight it is.

The overflow torx bolt is 7Nm but the filler torx which I think we are talking about here, is 39Nm according to the workshop manual. Seems too high.

Ah yes, that makes sense, but I'd still use caution when tightening the fill plug. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434631 2nd Aug 2023 5:34 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Bobupndown wrote:
I would be very concerned about the possibility of introducing swarf into the gearbox doing it like that. 🤔

That is a fair point.

A blind hole instead of a thru hole is a better choice.

I don't have the T55 near me right now but I can check to see how deep you can go without breaking out the bottom.

I will make some measurements later.

Take Care

Paul

PS another option would be to find the breather hose for the transmission and apply 5 PSI of shop air so that the chips will fly out instead of in.

Post #434636 2nd Aug 2023 6:25 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I would apply some heat to the fill plug using a gas blow lamp set to a small flame and shield the surrounding area with wet rags. Then try to break the "seal" by tapping the plug with a chisel and hammer.

This assumes the stilsons idea didnt work.

I would be extremely cautious about drilling and inadvertently allowing swarf inside the gearbox. Jules

Post #434639 2nd Aug 2023 8:27 pm
CaptainBarnacles

I haven't had access to the car for a couple of days as my wife has been using it, hopefully tomorrow I can get hands-on and try a couple of these suggestions. I promised my wife (under pain of death!!) not to do anything to the car that might jeopardise our touring holiday to northern Spain that we set off for in 3 days time so I might have to postpone some of the more "challenging" (I'm a willing and reasonably able mechanic but I still consider myself to be a novice) procedures until we get back.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, I really appreciate all the great advice and I'll post an update when I've had a crack at it. Thumbs Up 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434643 2nd Aug 2023 10:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>