« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Removing a Stripped Torx Filler Plug
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
CaptainBarnacles

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Removing a Stripped Torx Filler Plug

When I took the FL2 in for it's 100k service they did the auto gearbox fluid change which temporarily stopped the horrendous juddering that the car had been having at around 1800 revs. However, after a couple of weeks the juddering returned so I started to look into the problem and it looks like the torque converter is the culprit. Having just shelled out over £2k for the service and a new transfer box I wasn't inclined towards getting a new TC fitted so I thought I'd give Dr Trannys Judder Fix stuff a try, it's only a five minute job and what's the worse that could happen??

Well I'm guessing that the 300lb gorilla at the garage had put the filler cap back on the auto box with an impact driver (as any sensible person would!) and I couldn't get it to budge with my T55 bit on an extension bar and ratchet so I took it round to my mate's. When he'd finished laughing at me for not being able to remove the filler cap he had a go, he's a strong lad and couldn't do it so he got his 3' breaker bar on it. With him pulling the bar and me trying to keep the extension vertical and the bit pressed into the plug he gave it everything and still couldn't shift it so he went to borrow his mate's big impact driver. Within a matter of seconds it had completely mashed the torx splines and we were both looking at it thinking WTF!!

So now I have three questions, the first two of which are completely rhetorical because I'm annoyed:

1. Why did the garage guy put a filler cap back on with such tremendous torque?! Twisted Evil
2. Why didn't LR make the filler cap a hex bolt?! Evil or Very Mad
3. Is there any way I can get the Dr. Tranny's in the auto box without major surgery?

I've watched a few videos on YT about changing the AT fluid and there's a handy fill level plug accessible in the wheel arch that I could squirt the fluid in through... except that my gearbox doesn't look like that one and I can't find such a plug so I'm guessing that mines the box with the drain and level plugs combined into one on the underside of the box. Sad

I had wondered about drilling and tapping a new hole in the top of the box but I don't want to drop a load of swarf into the box.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #434478 30th Jul 2023 12:03 pm
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I can't help with this but I will say that there is something about this bolts that makes it seize solid. I've done a number of ATF changes on my car and each time i use a torque wrench to carefully tighten it up to the workshop manual spec which isn't particularly high and yet when I come to remove it again a year later it's an absolute pain in the backside to shift! I'm wary of tightening it under-spec because the consequences of it loosening could be very expensive indeed.

Post #434480 30th Jul 2023 12:30 pm
CaptainBarnacles

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reaction between the flat surfaces of the steel bolt and the aluminium casing that causes it to bond? Or perhaps it's a heating/cooling thing?? 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434481 30th Jul 2023 12:40 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Question 1, the person doing it was a moron. It needs "nipping up", nothing more than that.

Q 2, LR didn't make the gearbox.

Q 3, an air chisel is your friend. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #434488 30th Jul 2023 1:31 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Maybe some carefully applied PTFE tape would make the filler plug easier to remove in the future. Jules

Post #434493 30th Jul 2023 2:35 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

After I stripped mine the second trans oil change following torque spec, I just snug mine up. Regardless, I've changed it two or three times since and it still seizes but not where I feel it will strip. It's definitely a changing temp thing. I've not tried it on a cold transmission.

Post #434498 30th Jul 2023 4:50 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Tried the Dr Trannys, it was a total waste of money. In the end I had the TC replaced, if you find you have to go down that route be sure to have the rear crankshaft oil seal replaced at the same time.

Post #434504 30th Jul 2023 6:24 pm
jules

MotionInc wrote:
After I stripped mine the second trans oil change following torque spec, I just snug mine up. Regardless, I've changed it two or three times since and it still seizes but not where I feel it will strip. It's definitely a changing temp thing. I've not tried it on a cold transmission.

Maybe its something to with galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals and/or differing thermal expansion.
Either way I had the same issue with the filler plug on my old Defender's LT77 manual gearbox.
Or is it the ATF ? Oddly, the manual LT77 gearbox had ATF as its lubricant. Jules

Post #434507 30th Jul 2023 8:55 pm
jules

CaptainBarnacles wrote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reaction between the flat surfaces of the steel bolt and the aluminium casing that causes it to bond? Or perhaps it's a heating/cooling thing??

Can you get a stilsons type pipe wrench (not a mole wrench) onto the edge of the filler plug (it grips more the harder you pull) and hit it with a hammer ? Jules

Post #434508 30th Jul 2023 9:00 pm
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Your other option when all else fails is welding a nut onto the end of the filler plug and spinning it out. Not only will the welding give you a secure purchase with which to wrench or spin the filler plug out, but the heat from the welding will help loosen any rust TIG welding is much more precise than MIG welding. If you don't have the TIG/MIG equipment then there are mobile welders who you can use.

Make sure the battery is disconnected and all systems are shut down before the welding process. Electric current flowing through from the welder can damage or short circuit electrical components. The chassis is normally grounded to the negative terminal of the battery, and this is why the negative terminal should be disconnected first (and reconnected last).

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing the process of how to remove broken manifold studs from aluminium cylinder heads the principal is the same for the gearbox filler plug.

Post #434516 31st Jul 2023 9:02 am
CaptainBarnacles

Nodge68 wrote:
Question 1, the person doing it was a moron. It needs "nipping up", nothing more than that.

Q 2, LR didn't make the gearbox.

Q 3, an air chisel is your friend.

Very Happy

Q1: Agreed!
Q2: Fair Point Rolling Eyes
Q3: How so? Are you thinking to grind a slot in the bolt head and air chisel into the slot with a bit of anti-clockwise angle on it? 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434585 1st Aug 2023 2:26 pm
CaptainBarnacles

I Like Chips wrote:
Tried the Dr Trannys, it was a total waste of money. In the end I had the TC replaced, if you find you have to go down that route be sure to have the rear crankshaft oil seal replaced at the same time.

Good call, will do. Thumbs Up 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434586 1st Aug 2023 2:27 pm
CaptainBarnacles

jules wrote:
CaptainBarnacles wrote:
Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if there's a reaction between the flat surfaces of the steel bolt and the aluminium casing that causes it to bond? Or perhaps it's a heating/cooling thing??

Can you get a stilsons type pipe wrench (not a mole wrench) onto the edge of the filler plug (it grips more the harder you pull) and hit it with a hammer ?

I don't think so, it's a bit tight down in there but I'll have another look and see. I think I've got a small stilsons somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out. Thumbs Up 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434587 1st Aug 2023 2:29 pm
CaptainBarnacles

AJ918 wrote:
Your other option when all else fails is welding a nut onto the end of the filler plug and spinning it out. Not only will the welding give you a secure purchase with which to wrench or spin the filler plug out, but the heat from the welding will help loosen any rust TIG welding is much more precise than MIG welding. If you don't have the TIG/MIG equipment then there are mobile welders who you can use.

Make sure the battery is disconnected and all systems are shut down before the welding process. Electric current flowing through from the welder can damage or short circuit electrical components. The chassis is normally grounded to the negative terminal of the battery, and this is why the negative terminal should be disconnected first (and reconnected last).

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing the process of how to remove broken manifold studs from aluminium cylinder heads the principal is the same for the gearbox filler plug.

I've only got an arc/stick welder and to say I'm an amateur welder is to really oversell myself. It's a great idea though and I'm wracking my brain trying to think if I know anyone local who could do it for me. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #434588 1st Aug 2023 2:31 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Arc welding will be fine, you're not looking for pretty welding just strong and the heat will definitely help. Tack a big flat washer to the fill plug then a decent sized nut M10 or bigger for the size of the fill plug on to the top and fill the centre with weld, concentrating as much heat as possible to the plug. If your washer is bigger than the nut you can tack the outside as well. While it's still warm get a socket onto it and hopefully wind it out. 🤞 Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #434591 1st Aug 2023 3:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>