« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front parking sensor repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
VVS210

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
Front parking sensor repair

Had a parking assistance fault on SWMBOs facelift (13MY) HSE for some time now, plugging in the IID tool confirmed front right inner sensor faulty.

First question was what is the correct part number for a 13MY car, tinterweb showed different opinions but thanks to good old JLRclassic website I can confirm that all 8 parking sensors on the car are the same part number LR038084 so a bit of shopping around & I bought a genuine one off eBay for £21.99 - bargain!!

Next was a can of Indus Silver & a can of lacquer as new sensors aren't painted anymore.

Rain prevented the first attempt at replacement but today the weather was good so I went for it!

Bumper off & replaced non-functioning horns first (see other post) then swapped out old sensor for the new one, a quick check in car & fault was still there - b####r! Put old sensor in a different location & put sensor from that location into right inner & still got same fault on the IID tool indicating it wasn't the sensor but the wiring.

Checked plug & connections on sensor & all looked good but quick squirt of contact cleaner just in case. Then to the big multi plug on the passenger side, all looked good so another quick squirt of contact cleaner for good measure. Must be a wiring fault so started looking at continuity before realising the obvious right in front of my eyes - wire had chaffed through!

Very close to the plug but not so close I couldn't strip the insulation back & crimp the two parts back together before sealing with a bit of heat shrink.

Pick above is before the heat shrink was 'shrinked' and shows the crimp which is actually a fishing tackle one from this set bought for similar jobs which it has done well!

A quick test confirmed continuity was re-established & fault code was cleared using IID tool before the fix was tested... b####r - same message on the screen & fix apparently hadn't fixed!

Another check on the IID tool, and fault code no longer showing but same message in the screen - double b####r!

Hacked off now so put the bumper back on & resigned to the need to buy a new loom & go through the whole bumper removal business again to fit it at a later date.

Switched attention to fixing the pressure washer (another tale in its own right) before jumping in the car to move it & bingo - parking assistance now all working properly, yippee.

That's two lots of brownie points I've earned from SWMBO today & hopefully some more useful info for the rest of you when the time comes for you to fix faulty parking sensors!!

Plus I have a spare parking sensor that also fits my D4 and a rattle can of paint so I can paint the Ipanema Sand coloured cover that's fitted to the drivers side wing mirror after the original mirror got totalled by some muppet on her side of the road one day!

Post #433809 2nd Jul 2023 7:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1