Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 39 <123 ... 232425 ... 373839>
Print this entire topic · 
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

And, now they are sodium ion batteries.......good for EVs and ICEs.

Post #430551 1st Mar 2023 2:09 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

jules wrote:
Whether it would address anything is open to question though.

No, its another tax to increase the governments revenue stream Rolling Eyes

Post #430567 1st Mar 2023 3:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Tax on tyres would be interesting.
Recently gone back to riding a motorbike and it isn't unusual to replace tyres every 5,000 miles on the larger bikes - much less if you like track days. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #430595 2nd Mar 2023 9:57 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I imagine the roads will be a lot safer when tyres companies start introducing long lasting tyres. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #430602 2nd Mar 2023 1:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In my experience longer lasting tyres = less grip = more accidents.

That's why motorbike tyres of old lasted 30,000 miles but as soon as it rained they were lethal.
Same goes for my winter tyres on the car, brilliant when the temperature drops but they don't last as long as a politicians promise once it warms up.

Edit just realised that previous poster was being sarcastic Thud Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #430604 2nd Mar 2023 4:15 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

So do you think there will be an additional tax on tyres or will this potential new tax supersede existing tax???
Reason i ask is that if this new tax supersedes existing taxes then why bother with an EV as they will cause more tyre wear and therefore more pollution Shocked

Post #430668 5th Mar 2023 7:03 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

More tyre wear on an EV is a myth.
They're known to have a longer life not shorter one.
Also tyre pollution is a minor consideration compared to ultra fine particulates from diesel vehicle engines.

Tyre particulates are huge, so don't travel long distances in the air. They build up at the road side, then get washed into the drainage network.

Diesel particulates on the other hand are carried by the wind away from where they started, ending up in the lungs of people living and working near to roads.

This tyre pollution another piece of fossilganda BS. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #430679 6th Mar 2023 10:49 am
AT1963

Sorry nodge i don't agree.
The information i used is available and not made up simply search for it.
My post was about tyre pollution not a comparison between diesel and tyres.
The point i was making was about another tax and whether if it is rolled out it would not matter what car you drive but the information i used suggested EVs are heavier and cause more tyre wear.
So if this is the case and tyre tax takes over from other emissions taxes then EVs may cause more pollution.
If tyre pollution is such a minor issue why would this be a potential new tax?

Post #430699 6th Mar 2023 8:32 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Nodge68 wrote:
More tyre wear on an EV is a myth.
They're known to have a longer life not shorter one.
Also tyre pollution is a minor consideration compared to ultra fine particulates from diesel vehicle engines.

Tyre particulates are huge, so don't travel long distances in the air. They build up at the road side, then get washed into the drainage network.

Diesel particulates on the other hand are carried by the wind away from where they started, ending up in the lungs of people living and working near to roads.

This tyre pollution another piece of fossilganda BS.

Got to disagree based on what a Tesla owner told me

I had some new take off tyres to sell. Guy came to buy them in his Tesla. He says he has to have a new set every year. His wife was really angry at him with having to spend so much running the Tesla.

Post #430703 6th Mar 2023 10:39 pm
Nodge68

Any car with the performance of a Tesla will eat the tyres of driven without regard for tyre life.
There's a Tesla owner on this thread who has said the opposite however, he's an owner, not some cousin of a neighbour of a friend.

I know several people with EVs, all have told me that tyres wear less or are equal to ICE vehicles previously owned.

My wife's turbo diesel VW Eos will destroy a set of front tyres in under 10k miles, because that's what lots of torque does if used regularly.

My Freelander is the opposite, wearing about 1mm off the tread every 5k miles.

It's all about being sympathetic to the tyres, and nothing to do with weight, or the Freelander would wear the tyres out in a few k miles, which it doesn't. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #430705 6th Mar 2023 11:30 pm
pinhead

I guess I must be that owner
50k miles on the current set of tyres on my model S and still going I am hoping they will do 60k before I need to replace them
The cars with air suspension seem to eat the insides off due to lowering at speed and the alignment being all wrong some owners get them aligned in low setting to help and you can get aftermarket suspension bits that help correct this too but as mine is just on coils I have no worries
Previous astra diesel driven on the same roads and routes could do a set of fronts in in 5k if they were cheapos 15k if you got good ones that car we took to just short of 200k si it had a lot of tyres on the rears would last 30k ish being undriven

As have been said the performance versions seem to eat tyres a bit more but it's understandable when you have all that power
I have rotated my tyres just once as the rear driven set get virtually all the wear the fronts were still as new at point of rotation

Post #430709 7th Mar 2023 6:47 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Nodge68 wrote:
Any car with the performance of a Tesla will eat the tyres of driven without regard for tyre life.
There's a Tesla owner on this thread who has said the opposite however, he's an owner, not some cousin of a neighbour of a friend.

I know several people with EVs, all have told me that tyres wear less or are equal to ICE vehicles previously owned.

My wife's turbo diesel VW Eos will destroy a set of front tyres in under 10k miles, because that's what lots of torque does if used regularly.

My Freelander is the opposite, wearing about 1mm off the tread every 5k miles.

It's all about being sympathetic to the tyres, and nothing to do with weight, or the Freelander would wear the tyres out in a few k miles, which it doesn't.

As Nodge says, Tyre Wear is not a EV v ICE car argument.

Tyre wear is more to do with load/slippage induced by acceleration and cornering.

I am sure that (as on the FL2) 4-wheel drive helps avoid slippage, so worth remembering when you buy your EV.

Twin axle drive on a EV also helps with energy recovery, as shown with the latest Formula E racing cars that have increased their range by putting motor/generators on front axles.

I think that maximum energy recovery figures should form part of data published fact on EV adverts along with energy use per KM or Mile. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #430710 7th Mar 2023 10:29 am
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

AT1963 wrote:
Sorry nodge i don't agree.
The information i used is available and not made up simply search for it.

You make the assertion, you post the evidence, rather than relying on the scoffing "yOu JuSt NeEd To SeArCh FoR iT"

Easy to find some anecdotes and youtube videos from knuckle-dragging ICE addicts. But actual empirical evidence with data sets, with a conclusion subject to peer review? I doubt it..... Whistle Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #430715 7th Mar 2023 12:26 pm
Nodge68

I think more of this should be encouraged instead of building new vehicles.
 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #430753 9th Mar 2023 7:30 pm
AT1963

At last, some sense.....
This is a report relating to the opposition towards ICE ban in 2035.

Wissing said the scepticism about phasing out internal combustion vehicles was shared by Italy, Poland and the Czech Republic, among others. He added that the group of countries wants a separate category of combustion-engine cars that could run on synthetic, carbon-neutral fuels, after 2035.

"A ban on the combustion engine, when it can run in a climate-neutral way, seems a wrong approach for us," he said.

The CO2 law, the EU's main tool to speed up Europe's shift to electric vehicles, was put on hold earlier this month after last-minute opposition from Germany. That surprised policymakers in Brussels and other member states, since EU countries and the European Parliament had already agreed to a deal on the law last year.

Post #430862 14th Mar 2023 5:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 39 <123 ... 232425 ... 373839>