« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 41 <123 ... 151617 ... 394041>
Print this entire topic · 
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Just a driver wrote:
Is that not a bit over simplified. An awful lot of people could not afford a new car electric or otherwise. Most people who run a 13 year old motor it’s not a choice, I know some prefer a classic but not all.

^ Exactly!

Post #426349 30th Oct 2022 6:11 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

So coming back to an old post:
"are EVs for the well heeled"

How can fuel prices, energy prices, used car prices, mortgage prices, food prices and Hugh prices for EVs all on the increase be acceptable to the minority, who can afford it and the majority of us struggle.
Thats why there is opposition to and resentment of the notion we are not helping the environment unless we drive an EV.
This is just another way of fleecing those who can't afford the above and pile of the environmental pressure to conform.

Post #426350 30th Oct 2022 8:20 pm
AT1963

EV tax

Reality has slapped EV owners round their face with todays news.

So you pay around 25% more to buy/lease
To charge vehicle has gone up
EV tyres are even more polluting than IC ones
now tax

soon you may catch up with IC vehicles Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #426950 17th Nov 2022 8:41 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes really hurts, instead of paying £0 a year in 2025 I will be paying £20 a year….booo hooo

Rolling with laughter

But seriously, who believed it wasn’t coming? Nobody who didn’t have their head in the sand. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #426955 17th Nov 2022 8:54 pm
NoDo$h

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

AT1963 wrote:

soon you may catch up with IC vehicles Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I doubt it. Wait and see where you are with your dinojuice wagon in 5, 6, 7 years from now Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wink Current driveway contents:
2021 V60 Cross Country B5
2009 FL2 dog bus and shooting wagon

On Order: 2023 Fisker Ocean Ultra - deposit paid.

Post #426957 17th Nov 2022 9:18 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

We live in interesting and rather depressing times.
We are clearly moving away from IC vehicles in the UK, but that alone wont save the planet - far far more needs to change.
I think the only we can be certain of is that the majority of us will have less cash to spend.
So lets hope there will be affordable EVs by 2030 eg a Fiesta style EV costing new around £25K (at current values) and second-hand ones going for quite a bit less. Jules

Post #426964 17th Nov 2022 10:39 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

People who buy their EV thinking they are “saving the planet” or even saving money are buying for the wrong reasons, sure EVs bring local pollution down locally, drastically…..and forget the tyre pollution that’s been debunked many times since it first was raised (by a research student at University sponsored by a large oil company, there’s a surprise) the enlightened EV owners bought their car because they love the way they drive, more responsive, much quieter, far smoother and faster.

EV prices are coming down gradually, when ICE cars first were sold they cost a small fortune until Henry had the bright idea to make money and sell millions, same as EVs now, the first were and most still are at least 15-30% more than an equivalent ICE, but the gap is diminishing and it’ll continue.

As soon as the oil companies realise (as some are already at that stage, but are still squeezing easy money out of ICE drivers) they can make as much out of EV drivers the tide will turn.

Any EV driver who thought buying an EV that cost 30% more than an ICE was going to save them money (not including the ridiculously bias Benefit in Kind allowances allowed by the Government to keep business/self employed high earners happy)
was deluded.

Even when my EV costs as much as any ICE to run it’ll still be a better car, which is why we bought it Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #426974 18th Nov 2022 10:19 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

As if we didn't have enough problems with our transport infrastructure, here's another potential one regarding the wieght of modern cars, especially as we go electric.

It seems that lots of car parks were built about 50 years or so ago when most cars averaged about a ton, and now we are going towards 2 ton.

Quote 'Weight of electric vehicles could cause 'catastrophic' damage and 'lead to car parks collapsing': Engineers warn Britain's parking facilities were not designed for hulking battery cars'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/weight...9c385841cd
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #427935 19th Dec 2022 10:59 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I thought that ICE cars were getting lighter anyway. My wife's Suzuki Swift comes in at only about 900Kg and isn't the latest Range Rover about a tonne lighter than the earlier models? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #427936 19th Dec 2022 11:05 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Maybe just maybe this will work in our favour.
If the existing structures have a maximum loading then the only option is to restrict the number of vehicles by enlarging parking space sizes Very Happy

We will be able to park AND get out of the car without rubbing the car door against the next car.
Maybe people will stop parking in "mother & Baby" slots just so that they can open the doors.

See I always said EVs were a good idea Rolling with laughter Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #427941 19th Dec 2022 2:06 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I thought that ICE cars were getting lighter anyway. My wife's Suzuki Swift comes in at only about 900Kg and isn't the latest Range Rover about a tonne lighter than the earlier models?

A swift is half the size of a Freelander 2 by volume, so it makes sense it's half the weight.

Many normal size cars are knocking on for 1.5 Tons, an EV is about 10% heavier for the same size. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #427955 19th Dec 2022 7:52 pm
AT1963

Here you go...the 10 reasons for global warming/environmental impact:
It is not just ICE vehicles Shocked

1- Global warming
Climate change such as global warming is the result of human practices such as the emission of greenhouse gases.

Global warming leads to higher temperatures in the oceans and on the Earth's surface, causing melting of polar ice sheets, rising sea levels, and unnatural precipitation patterns such as flooding, excessive snow and desertification.

2 - Deforestation
Species-rich forests are being destroyed, especially in the tropics, often to make room for livestock rearing, palm oil plantations, soy plantations and other agricultural monocultures.

Today, about 30% of the planet's surface is covered by forests, and about 18 million hectares are destroyed each year. Almost all of this deforestation comes from logging and burning.

Natural forests not only act as biodiversity reserves, they also help keep coal out of the atmosphere and oceans.

3- Pollution
Air, water, and soil pollution require millions of years to clean. Industries and motor vehicles are the main source of pollutants on the planet. Heavy metals, nitrates and plastic are toxins responsible for pollution.

The water contamination is caused by oil spills, acid rain, and urban waste.

The air pollution is caused by the various gases and toxins released by the industries and by the combustion of fuels.

Finally, soil pollution is caused by industrial waste

4- Acidification of the ocean
This is a direct impact of the excessive production of carbon dioxide; 25% of carbon dioxide is produced by humans.

The acidity of the ocean has increased over the last 250 years but by 2,100 this amount can be increased to 150%.

The main impact can be found in mollusks and plankton in the same way as osteoporosis in humans.

5- Extinction of the species
On the ground, wild animals are hunted to extinction to obtain their meat, ivory, or 'medicinal products'. At sea, large industrial ships eliminate entire populations of fish.

Species not only deserve to exist intrinsically, they also provide essential products and services to humans. For example, bees and pollination are necessary for crops.

Habitat loss and destruction are also major contributing factors to extinction waves, unprecedented since this is caused by humans. The list of endangered species continues to grow at an alarming rate.

6- Acid rain
The acid rain occurs due to the presence of certain pollutants in the atmosphere. It can be caused due to the combustion of fuels, volcanoes, or rotting vegetation.

It is an environmental problem that can have a serious effect on human health, wildlife and aquatic species.

7- Water pollution
Drinking clean water is becoming a rare commodity. Water is becoming an economic and political problem as the human population fights for this resource.

Industrial development is filling rivers, seas, and oceans with toxic pollutants that are a major threat to human health. One of the suggested options to avoid this problem is to use a desalination process.

8- Public health problems
Current environmental problems pose a great risk to the health of humans and animals. Dirty water is the greatest global health risk and a major threat to the quality of life and public health.

River runoff has many toxins, chemicals and organisms that cause disease.

Contaminants cause respiratory problems such as asthma and cardiovascular problems. High temperatures increase the spread of infectious diseases such as dengue.

9- Soil degradation
Excessive grazing, monoculture plantations, erosion, soil compaction, overexposure to pollutants, and conversion of land use are just some of the ways soil is being damaged.

According to official estimates, about 12 million hectares of farms are seriously degraded each year.

Since food safety depends on keeping the soil in good condition, you need to find appropriate solutions to this problem.

To address this problem there are programs of soil conservation and restoration techniques, although they are not enough to eliminate the problem for the moment.

10- Waste disposal
Over-consumption of resources and creation of plastics are creating a global waste disposal crisis. Developed countries are famous for producing an excessive amount of litter and releasing these wastes into the oceans.

Waste of nuclear waste poses major health risks. Plastic, fast food, packaging and cheap electronic waste threaten the well-being of humans.

Waste disposal is one of the most urgent environmental problems today.

Post #427961 19th Dec 2022 8:57 pm
1powerrack

England 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

there is another option to EV and allows you to keep your petrol or diesel F2, the Americans have developed Hydrogen/ICE conversions they have exported converted cars into the EU (Denmark) and Toyota have converted petrol engine cars to run on Hydrogen and ran them in competition on the track, Toyota are serious at making this option available in the near future, all we need is the government to push on hydrogen filling stations.
I would rather keep the i6 than be forced to drive a washing machine then having to sit at charging station while all the ICE cars keep on going! Rolling with laughter

Post #427963 19th Dec 2022 9:00 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Hydrogen isn't the way forward, at least not at the moment. 98% of all Hydrogen comes from natural gas, and is an energy hungry process to produce, using 2.5 times the energy to convert natural gas to Hydrogen, than using the Hydrogen can produce. Basically it takes 2.5 kWhr of energy to make 1kWhr of hydrogen. The best hydrogen IC engines are under 30% efficient, so that 2.5kWhr of initial energy makes just 300 Watts of energy at the flywheel, which is pathetic.
You are better off burning diesel or petrol, as those are almost 40% efficient, without the initial losses.
Hydrogen is a red herring being touted by the oil Industry in an attempt to keep IC engines alive. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #427965 19th Dec 2022 11:37 pm
Dartman the one

England 

That may be so, but LOX and hydrogen power rockets so perhaps a turbine might work, using an electrolyser both are produced from water. We happily produced both on nuclear submarines though what the cost was I have no idea as producing oxygen was really a secondary by-product to keep the crew alive to support the primary purpose. Certainly hydrogen could be produced from nuclear power stations, it's a well known fact that keeping a reactor at a constant power level ensures there is less strain on the reactor pipework and the ingress of contaminants so produce hydrogen in the low demand times to keep the reactor in its optimum power output. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #427969 20th Dec 2022 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 41 <123 ... 151617 ... 394041>