Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Maybe back into the fold, assistance required.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andymuggwump

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black
Maybe back into the fold, assistance required.

After a few years in the wilderness I'm considering getting back behind the wheel of a freelander again. I'm currently in negotiations to buy a Sport LE MY2011 but the current owner can't seem to come up with the service history.

I just wondered on the off chance whether the previous owner who lived in Spalding Lincolnshire was a member on here or if anyone remembers them? It's a black Sport LE on a 60 plate. Would be great if I could somehow make contact and get an idea of the service history or better still the actual book.

I know it's a very slim chance but worth a go...

Post #339792 18th Jan 2018 6:45 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

You could call into a local LR dealership and ask at service reception - if it's been main dealer serviced it should be on their system (all dealers linked)

Post #339793 18th Jan 2018 6:56 pm
howdenbiker

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Baltic Blue

When I bought mine the dealer had no service history. From the reg number I found it originated from Peterborough so called the local Dealer, Marshals and they could not have been more helpful.
Although they could not initially give me paperwork the service chap told me it had been regularly serviced.

Once I had bought the car he sent me a full print out of service history and warranty work, turned out the car was a demonstrator then one owner who had a service agreement with them. Then, for £16 they sent me a fully filled in and stamped duplicate service book.

So it is worth doing a bit of phoning around!

Good luck Smile 2013 GS Baltic Blue - part exchanged now for Volvo V40

Post #339811 18th Jan 2018 9:03 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Go to this website and input the reg in the box - https://cazana.com/uk/plate it gives MOT history, change of owners and some other info - also shows where it was registered Thumbs Up

Post #339812 18th Jan 2018 9:15 pm
Andymuggwump

Have tied all the local dealers within a 35 mile radius of where it's spent its life and apart from having a DPF pressure sensor changed in 2012 there is no trace of it what so ever. Nothing on Topix using the chassis number and nothing from any of the dealers internal databases with chassis number or any of the previous registrations as it's had private reg's in the past.
Seem to be drawing a blank. I'm amazed that who ever owned such a lovely car never had a single Landrover service, not even during the cars warranty period.

I'm gutted because it's a lovely car. Any other suggestions welcome.

Post #339847 19th Jan 2018 10:59 am
Andymuggwump

Just a thought, There is only the latest MOT cert with the car but is there a way of finding out where it was MOT'd previously in case they serviced it at the same time?

Post #339848 19th Jan 2018 11:04 am
Largered

Have you thought it may be an import/government vehicle in its past??

Post #339849 19th Jan 2018 11:10 am
Andymuggwump

Don't think it is imported as was first registered in this country from new. Has had 4 owners. Has a MOT history (mileage and dates). Would it not show up anywhere if it had been a government vehicle? Is there a way of checking?

Post #339850 19th Jan 2018 11:18 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

TBH if I were you, if its as good as you say on the surface, the price is right(maybe negotiable due to lack of history) and its the one that's hit the sweet spot then buy it... (maybe get it fully checked over before buying as well)

then book it straight in at a trusted garage for a load of TLC. You can then be satisfied that its all good.

Lets face it... a stamp in a book means nothing if the work hasn't actually been done or been done to inferior standards using inferior parts.

Post #339853 19th Jan 2018 11:34 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

You can try DVLA for more info . You fill in a form V888 and they will provide details that they hold which should include former keepers etc. You have to pay a small fee and have reasonable cause to be asking for the info. Before that however have you tried writing/phoning the previous owner to ask about service history etc if the current owner will give you that info from the V5.

Post #339854 19th Jan 2018 11:37 am
Andymuggwump

It really is a nice car and I'm tempted to buy anyway, it's just taken the edge off the deal. With there being little or no trace of the car in the LR service database apart from recall work, I'm just concerned that it has a hidden past that might bite me on the arse in some way.
I wonder if maybe it was some kind of government car and that's why there is no dealer service history? Don't suppose there is any way to find out?
The current owner says he will try and contact the previous owner who is quite local to him, to try and get more info.

Fingers crossed.

Post #339855 19th Jan 2018 11:46 am
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

robbyvrs wrote:
Go to this website and input the reg in the box - https://cazana.com/uk/plate it gives MOT history, change of owners and some other info - also shows where it was registered Thumbs Up

never heard of that one, I tried it and looked up my Cooper S which I sold in 2012, it came up with a photo of it still looking mint outside someones house !

Post #339857 19th Jan 2018 12:09 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

robbyvrs wrote:

Gives me the registration date and MOT history of my FL2 but you can get that off

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

So its just mimicking the DVLA site and trying to up-sell in my opinion. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #339858 19th Jan 2018 12:22 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

it did used to be called ukvehicle.com and would say change of ownership dates and any personal registrations that it had previously had so you could tell how often a car had changed hands etc but they stopped it and started applying fees etc.

So yes your right Yorky, its just mirroring the DVLA's existing pages

Post #339859 19th Jan 2018 12:27 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I think that RogB has the right response here, if you have concerns then walk away, if you think it's the right car for you then get an independent inspection done and decide after that. A stamped service book only shows that a vehicle attended a garage/dealership on a certain day, there have been many stories over the years where books have been stamped but the work not carried out. When I bought my FL2 I did a part ex with my old car, I had a heap of paperwork all neatly placed in a folder, I gave this to the dealer who told me they would just bin it which surprised me seems that only private sellers or small traders want to keep this stuff anymore.

Post #339860 19th Jan 2018 12:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>