« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Possible new turbo??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
proddy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

well you said it!

Not happy with the dealer and nothing i can do about it now. live and learn, the expensive way

Post #319029 7th Mar 2017 9:09 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

daveb500 wrote:
The actuator arm, and vane free up is part of the normal service routine according the service manual. All it involves is removing the actuator from the sensor and then waggling it 10 to 20 times. This makes sure the vanes in the turbo are free from soot and buildup. then reassemble with a high temp grease. Its a pity the dealer you bought the car from hadn't checked the service book. Would have saved you the £1200.
But now you have a good car, so alls well. Its a pity the electronic pack isn't sold separate.
I've noticed mine has started to give a puffing sound on slow 1st to 2nd change up, its service is due in the next couple of weeks, so will make sure I redo my turbo clean.
As to the over boost issue the MAP sensor change has cleared that up, done about 3000 miles since I changed it.

Anyone know if the Turbo was changed to a differing set up on later cars as I am struggling to see an external actuator arm to disconnect and waggle ?

By service book/manual are you talking about the Full Workshop Manual as its seems not to be on the standard service sheet ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #319040 7th Mar 2017 12:35 pm
daveb500

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

Hi bob, its the full repair manual I'm referring to pages 1027 -1030. Ive screen shot them. As far as I'm aware its the same through the range of 2.2tdi models. some have DPF which gets in the way and some pipes have to be removed to gain access.

Post #319047 7th Mar 2017 2:05 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Defo buried and staying that way me thinks. Treated the area to some spray on lubricant.

Off Topic

I had the cover off this morning as after fitting a new fuel filter a couple of weeks back have had the odd stutter on start up. Common sense would be that any small amount of air would have passed by now but it is a "Ford". Cracked open the injector pipes next to injectors to be sure so will now have to see how we go . FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #319049 7th Mar 2017 2:57 pm
Mike Bentley

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

just found this link at last

I posted the same problems in another post but not much response.
Firstly I have always had the slight shooshing noise on light throttle when auto changing up in the lower gears.
I thought it was the gearbox but someone explained somewhere on this forum that it the variable veins rattling in the turbo.
having had my old BMW's turbo apart and knowing how loose they are I can see how they can be heard rattling at slow speeds. So I am not worried.
But I got stuck in France with an over boost situation. I pulled away with my caravan on the back and the car seemed to over accelerate, the turbo veins went frantic and then the car went into limp mode.
after a long story with Greenflag and the fact it was a bank holiday I finally got the code read as over boost sensor, had it cleared and have not had a problem since.
I MUST ADD THAT GREENFLAG WERE GREAT.
Am trying out the FORTE TURBO CLEANER which has good reviews for cleaning the veins.

HAS ANYONE ELSE USED IT

Post #325216 15th Jun 2017 7:59 pm
sd42010

United Kingdom 

Mike, any feedback on Forte turbo cleaner?

Post #332990 10th Oct 2017 7:36 pm
Mike Bentley

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I used 2 bottles of the Forte turbo cleaner. blanked off the egr valve and changed the throttle flap unit.
the car is running much smoother now and does not run on when turned off. The variable veins can still be heard when driving it lightly in the first 2-3 gears but are not as noisy, I checked the vein arm and it is nice and free. As to disconnecting it and moving the veins back and forth a few times, I have not done that as to get the clip off looks like a right fiddle and the chance of loosing the clip or even getting back is a high risk. If the car was up on a 2 or 4 poster lift I would do it, but just on axle stands its to difficult.
I would recommend the forte treatment as I felt the benefit of smoother and quicker acceleration quite quickly. I did make sure I put the Forte in before a long run in order to get it to do its job.

Post #333105 12th Oct 2017 8:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123