Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Newbie looking for some buying advice!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Exclamation I read that twice, still unsure what you are rambling on about Rolling with laughter I am too simple for technicalities Laughing

Post #331980 27th Sep 2017 7:55 pm
DanielB89

United Kingdom 

Well that's gone off topic.

It's like all forums, your going to hear a lot of negativity as that's why these forums exists for like minded enthusiasts who come together to discuss the good and bad so the stories on here don't put me off. Go in any forum and see, take the a4 forum I'm on, go in there and it'll put you off a diesel for life haha.

So back the topic guys.

When did they fit the DPF?

What's this dreaded 10 year service I keep seeing pop up and whys it such a big deal? Surely it's just a cambelt and water pump change or am I missing something?

Any tips on common tell tail issues to look out for when viewing one?

Post #332031 28th Sep 2017 8:26 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

That's why I have petrol! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #332033 28th Sep 2017 9:04 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

DanielB89 wrote:
What's this dreaded 10 year service I keep seeing pop up and whys it such a big deal? Surely it's just a cambelt and water pump change or am I missing something?

Cambelt plus ancillary drive belt (which has to come off anyway to do the cambelt) plus transmission fluids (gearbox, PTU, rear diff), all on top of a B service. The cost adds up, that's all, particularly if you have a dealer do it.

You can always spread the cost by having some of the work done early (or late if you want to risk it).

Petrol versions have a chain rather than a cambelt but everything else needs doing (ancillary belt at 105k), plus spark plugs at 75k and 150k so the difference in cost isn't likely to be that much, and more than offset by the petrol's relative thirst!

Post #332048 29th Sep 2017 9:19 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Those who home service and have good mechanical ability can ignore.

The point some of us are trying to make to anyone who relies on a garage for servicing is beware when buying your 9 to 10 year old car of what it may cost extra to keep to the LR factory service schedule. A slick salesman cannot be challenged later if he sold you a 9 year old car with full service history for you to find in a few months the next service is over a thousand pounds when you expected a couple of hundred.

I have said several times do a 10 year service over a longer period to keep cost in check, even then the service sheet omits changing the Haldex filter at any point or power steering fluid.

Would I take any cam belt to 10 years or 150 miles, hell would freeze over first. In year 4 to 5 from new apart from the belts our FL2 had a 10 year service to include the haldex out for service by Bell. All just a few quid more (by doing most myself) than a standard B service apart from the Haldex of course.

Will it get a cam belt sooner than later, I suspect it depends on how good the new Defender is. Anyone up on the release date ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332052 29th Sep 2017 10:08 am
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Please remember that ALL cars need a major engine service at some point in their lives (petrol Alfas need them every 3/4 years) so a Freelander at 10 years is not any different to any other manufacturer.

Post #332060 29th Sep 2017 12:13 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Do Alfa's last 4 years now ? Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332064 29th Sep 2017 2:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12