« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > An update...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
An update...

I may not be very active on here soon as things aren't looking very good for my dad. He has terminal cancer as most of you know but there has been a more significant deterioration in his general health recently.

We cancelled our holiday in early May as he had surgery on his spine. He came home the day after but was whisked off to A&E 10 days later when he froze in horrendous pain with his lower back. It later became apparent this was severe nerve pain and muscle spasm.

He spent a week in hospital and 2 weeks in the hospice before coming home. He was then re-admitted to hospital via A&E just 6 days later through dehydration and a chest infection. 4 days later he came home but was confined to downstairs as his legs were weak.

He went back into the hospice last Friday on a voluntary basis so he could receive better care than we could provide at home. The physio would be there most days to assist with exercises. He had a nice day on Fathers Day and I wheeled him out into the garden in his wheelchair and joked that it was like Logan and Charles Xavier! (I had lined up Logan for us to watch together)

He is now pretty much bed bound and constantly tired. The Dr says that the cancer is catching up with him now and I think we have to accept that it is unlikely he will be coming home again. We went to see him this evening and he's hardly eating or drinking but was lively enough to look at some old photos on my phone even though he was lying down. He has been getting very confused too.

It is very upsetting and stressful and I know many of you know how I feel. In time I plan to organise a fundraiser for the Hospice but that is clearly not imminent. I just pray that he gets at least a little better than of late.

Thanks LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #325616 20th Jun 2017 9:43 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Sorry to hear doc, my thoughts are with your family. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #325618 20th Jun 2017 9:53 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Been through it with my mum, it is physically & mentally exhausting for everyone. I hope you all get some nice family days together. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #325633 20th Jun 2017 11:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Reading this with a tear growing in the corner of my eye, as what you wrote brought back a few memories from Christmas and my late father.

Smile, be there for him, confused or not it's time you will cherish together laughing and joking about, but as important as this you need time for yourself and spend that doing what helps ease the pain of knowing the enevitible approaching.

Take care mate Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #325634 20th Jun 2017 11:46 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Sorry to hear this sad news doc , you know it's inevitable but it will hurt like hell for you when he does pass. Thoughts and prayers. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #325639 21st Jun 2017 5:59 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wishing you the strength you will need to get through this.

Post #325640 21st Jun 2017 5:59 am
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

So sorry to read this Doc, having been thru something similar with my mum and with my dad also going thru chemo at the moment my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Post #325644 21st Jun 2017 7:47 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your comments guys. He's had a better day today but better is a relative term. Just grateful for small mercies now.

Very touching to briefly hear of your stories too. When you go through these things and see people affected by acts of terror or disasters such as Grenfell, it puts all trivial crap into perspective. Not that we will ever stop moaning about trivial things but it just makes you realise how insignificant other things are.

I've spoken to the bloke who runs the fitness centre I attend about a fund raiser for the hospice in due course. He said they've done them before with things like a spin-a-thon. They have great publicity across social media and we can link it to the website of the hospice and local press. Should generate a shed load of donations. Won't be yet a while but it will be done Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #325737 21st Jun 2017 11:04 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

My dad was given a bone infusion drug via injection late last week and that is designed to improve bone strength and help with pain. His condition has improved and he is sat in his chair during the day (requires assistance to get there).

He is talking and feeling better and the Dr's are very surprised by how much better he is. That being said, the improvement is relative because a couple of months ago we would have seen his current condition as a massive deterioration. We just take anything like this as a bonus. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #326071 27th Jun 2017 6:58 pm
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry to read all that you're going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #326410 2nd Jul 2017 12:18 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Very sorry for all involved Doc, not much can be said really apart from ' Hold on to the memories of the good times and remember the laughter' If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #326425 2nd Jul 2017 4:51 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks, it is appreciated. He's had a decent day today and my sister took her dog (Harry the Yorkshire Terrier) to see him which cheered him up. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #326434 2nd Jul 2017 9:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1