« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Would you consider something other that a Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 53 <123 ... 212223 ... 515253>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

andy3681 wrote:
I am a member of a few of forums..........
Please discuss?
ta
Andy

maybe the other forums are for people with cars rather than passion?
Buying a LR is not a sensible choice - there are other makes that do a similar job of work (how many here actually use the off road ability to the full?), for a lot less money, and with better warranty.
I believe a larger percentage of LR owners are actually prepared to get the spanners out, so the technical part of the forum is likely to be better informed.

We were in the dealers again this weekend, looking at Ewoks, I have no idea why, it says Range Rover on the bonnet, & Gill says if you cut me down the middle it will say Land rover, so I am as likely to buy a Lada.

Guess when Clementine dies we will buy a newer FL2, just because I will not be allowed a D4, and can't bring myself to buy a Lada Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #309227 17th Oct 2016 11:18 pm
Dartman the one

England 

There are cheaper cars out there but each has its gimmicks and failings, as we have found out the DS has its failings over the FL despite the modern extras, We have had a hire car Fiat 500X AWD for a week or so, the engine is intrusive, not as comfortable and a higher cabin noise, interestingly it has a 9 speed box and spends its time between D2 and D7, D9 only appears over 50mph on a slight downhill. Apart from a digital speed read out in KPH there's not much in it I would desire or need over my HSE, what the top spec has I've no idea. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #309231 18th Oct 2016 8:54 am
Dartman the one

England 

error my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #309232 18th Oct 2016 11:03 am
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

MartynB wrote:
Great choice, the Macan is a lovely car. I stand to be corrected but they also have class leading depreciation when they are nicely specified .

Yes, I believe that's true generally...and so far for the macan depreciation has been pretty low, given the constrained supply, although I think that effect is somewhat passing. Although how the porsche SUVs depreciation compares to their sports cars I'm not sure. The pre 2017 registered will probably hold their value better too over the next two or three years, given the road tax changes.

shilen wrote:
The only thing you have to watch out for on the Macan is the costs, (...)

F-Pace looks really nice but I don't like the letter box rear window - I like to see more than just the roof of whats behind me when I'm driving - also have a look at the forums there are a lot of unhappy F-Pace owners out there

In some ways it's not really 'fair' to compare the DS to the Macan, or even some of the others, given it's that chunk more expensive. I do like the BMW X3/X5 too, especially the cabin tech (i-drive is level up on the Porsche system IMO), and will probably test drive one at some point.

Must admit I haven't looked at the F-pace forums yet for issues, but thanks for the heads up - I'll take a look.

SimonB wrote:
If you're looking at a new Macan then be prepared to possibly wait a while (...)

It seems to have changed a bit, particularly with the GTS (which I'm looking at) where there's been only a 3 to 4 month wait from deposit to delivery for some. I think there's typically still a very long wait for the S model though - with the US apparently prioritised for those builds given they haven't released the diesel there. Likewise wouldn't look at the 2.0. If I'm buying a porsche then it needs to feel like a porsche! FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #309239 18th Oct 2016 12:20 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana
Lynk & Co SUV

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/geelys-ne...volvo.html

May be an interesting alternative when it arrives. With Volvo behind it, it could be a good seller in Europe. I rather like the look of it and Freelander size too. driving on the right side

Post #309333 20th Oct 2016 3:10 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

Went out to a dealers in Glasgow yesterday, it's landrover, Volvo & jag dealer all under one roof. I had a good look at the Volvo XC90 , impressive big car (only 2cm shorter than D5) , a lot of kit for the money , granted it won't go off road properly but it should be fine in adverse weather.
Went next door to the LR section , DS HSE in the on display, £47k .. I don't think so way way over priced
Looked at the jag F-pace sport £62k and the dash had the cheapest plastic you could fined & the boot had a hump in it to cover the full size spare.

I'm going to see the D5 on November 8th , unless that is better than I'm expecting I think it will be an XC90 for me when the time comes to change. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #309488 23rd Oct 2016 8:07 am
Dartman the one

England 

Having only been here for 4 days OH now thinks we brought out the wrong car, thinks it should have been the Micra CC. We were introduced to the LR dealer to smooth the import and registration, he had DS and Ewok convertible brochures lying about, suspect she wants the Ewok Mad my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #309491 23rd Oct 2016 8:21 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have been talking to a guy who has just a new VW Tiguan, he had Landrovers for years and took delivery of a new DS and there was so much wrong with it (including the need to do some welding would you believe !) that he rejected it and got his money back. Seems happy with his VW. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #310251 3rd Nov 2016 7:34 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

To be fair most of those problems seem to have been dealt with by now - the B-pillar welding saga was unbelievable! I've just bought a 6-month old ex-demonstrator DS and so far my only complaint is the lack of spare wheel (they have to be specified from new on the 7-seat version) and a lump in the seat back which they are going to fix. I've had it a fortnight and done 3000 miles, and although it's not got quite as much poke as the SD4 I do prefer it. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #310312 4th Nov 2016 7:38 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I looked recently at a Jeep Cherokee, Audi Q5, BMW X3 but today I put a deposit down on a 3 year old Freelander GS. To me the FL2 is value for money, i've had a few issues with my old FL2 but I love the car, hence the reason for getting another. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #310376 5th Nov 2016 5:07 pm
j77

Scotland 

I'm going up to my dealers a week on Wednesday to view the D5, I've placed my order but I have a few reservations. Seen a few F-paces kicking around so one of them with the 3.0 diesel may be on the shopping list if this D5 isn't to my liking. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #310408 5th Nov 2016 9:54 pm
bill 2

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Got a D's as a loan car while my fl2 was in for a m.o.t and a service and it broke down two time's in three days of using it with gear box problems and it was only six months old , can't see myself buying a D's after having that happen so may end up going to the dark side in a few years time or I'll keep my fl2 until it dies of old age .

Post #310409 5th Nov 2016 10:08 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I've just spent the last 4 days covering 800 miles of Texas in a Jeep Compass. It is not bad for a cheap SUV. I wouldn't buy one , just too small , it probably has the footprint of a small family hatch. It has a 2 litre petrol engine that keeps it whistling along merrily at 80mph, but unfortunately has the worst CVT gearbox I have ever driven ( they should poach a transmission designer from Subaru Rolling with laughter ) . Boot space is about 2 suitcases and passenger wise think Ford Focus, 4 adults. Over in the US the 4x2 retails at around 16 grand Sterling. Would it be a convincing car over in the UK? Well with 4x4 I think it would probably be a grown up Suzuki Vitara. Not even a contender for Freelander 2 like for like, but it's quick enough, drives well, and although it not specified to " full gin palace" , it's not at all unpleasant. perhaps LR need somthing around the £20 grand mark in a similar vein 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #310874 12th Nov 2016 3:29 am
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Still think lot of people will like the Kodiaq, especially considering the price.

Post #310881 12th Nov 2016 10:01 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

So we are all agreed then, Landrover have two iconic models (the Defender and the Freelander) and they are both discontinued makes you wonder how their marketing dept works. Can you imagine Porsche ever discontinuing the 911 ? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #310885 12th Nov 2016 10:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 53 <123 ... 212223 ... 515253>