« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Would you consider something other that a Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 51 of 53 <123 ... 50 515253>
Print this entire topic · 
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Boxbrownie wrote:
Aha OK....so the early DS petrol uses the Aisin box?

Sorry if I am confusing your answers.

The DS models I have driven so far have only been the “bigger/powerful” engined versions and seemed to work really well.

Petrol (ecoboost) DS wasn't released in the UK, however there was a former test mule on Auto Trader recently on a 64 plate, which used a 6 speed Aisin (Freelander/LR2) unit.

Petrol (Ingenium) Si4 released 2016 uses the same Getrag box across the range ...it just works better on all models except the D180

Post #387670 5th Mar 2020 6:44 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I understand the launch DS had no petrol version a great pity as a late FL2 with the Ecoboost would have been lovely over here, as in RoW markets.

Are you sure that was “test mule” because all the development vehicles we ever had were not VAT rated (And had special DVLA taxing bracket) and had to be destroyed (with proof to HMRC) after test procedures had completed, might have been a RHD evaluation vehicle......possibly a Japanese market version converted to U.K. regs.

I have never driven a D180, but can imagine what it’s like, I have driven some very dire (laggy/lethargic) auto powertrains, absolutely frightening some of them. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #387676 5th Mar 2020 7:23 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Yes, very sure as I went to view it before ordering my new one. It was being sold by Marshalls at Oxford late last year

It had 30000 miles but only one service at 27000 miles which unnerved me, but came with a HUGE spec, rear seat entertainment, Meridian hi-fI, full HSE Luxury spec, registered by JLR, VX64 (can't remember the rest) and serviced by Paragon Fleet Solutions at Upper Heyford (their disposal site). I know that mules are supposed to be crushed, but this one wriggled through somehow, and was allowed to enter the retail network presumably with the manufacturers blessing?!

The only other thing that put me off was that being a former prototype/mule, it would have been difficult to obtain warranty cover, and it was fast approaching 6 years old. Marshalls were only prepared to offer a 12 month select warranty, which made the decision to walk away even easier.

Post #387679 5th Mar 2020 7:34 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Well I went to the Skoda dealership and like the Karoq, the Kodiaq being a bit to big for my purposes. Screwed together quite well but we went on to a Seat dealership and the Ateca, in my opinion, has superior finish. Got all the Censored about high demand coupled with just £10k p/e so will,if I decide to to change, sell privately or via WBAC as drive the deal, carwow et al all offer better deals.

If only I could have confidence in the DS then might be happy to have a nearly new. As an aside and as previously mentioned, some good deals at present with 20%off at drivethedeal. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #387768 6th Mar 2020 11:39 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I dont think you'd go far wrong with a Skoda, we have fleets of them in work, various sizes and models and they are brilliant. A VW in all but name. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #387797 7th Mar 2020 5:37 pm
Largered

I believe the pecking order is ....

Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat

. Whistle

Post #387798 7th Mar 2020 5:46 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Of the four we have only tried three, Audi and VW dealerships treated us like an inconvenience - we were in their to buy cars.
The Skoda dealerships were family run affairs and treated like family members = we bought two Skodas new, and will never darken the door of the first two again.
The Favorit and the Octavia were both reliable good value for money, inexpensive to run, and any warranty issues sorted quickly and effortlessly.

But and there is a big but, when we went to replace the Octavia at 30 months old and 120,000 miles on the clock it was worth next to nothing, and the replacement vehicle price had nearly doubled. VW had realised that Skoda were selling a top of the range Bora for Polo money. So we bought the second FL1. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #387822 8th Mar 2020 10:19 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Largered wrote:

Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat

. Whistle

Bentley
Lamborghini
Porsche
Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat

any more? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #387824 8th Mar 2020 11:03 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

the whole lag/ jerky shift on the 180 DS seems to be random. its really smooth 95% of the time, then whoops it lets itself occasionally, you soon learn to predict when its going to have a bad shift,
I never found it to be a concern, could be better yes but terrible? NO,
Left turn into my farm lane is such a place, from a flat road to a steepish hill, but its not the first transmission to be a little confused there
As said on the petrol its not noticable At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #387825 8th Mar 2020 11:17 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Just pausing for a moment, to consider which manufacturer it was that took a huge competitive advantage, over other manufacturers, by cheating in emissions tests and bringing down the media, legislators’ and the public’s wrath on innocent manufacturers and us diesel owners. To add insult to injury, VW then screwed all but their US customer base in putting it right / covering it up.

One for the low mileage users too, with their warranty running out at just 2 years, for anyone with more than 60,000 miles.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty

Post #387826 8th Mar 2020 11:21 am
Largered

IanMetro wrote:
Largered wrote:

Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat

. Whistle

Bentley
Lamborghini
Porsche
Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat

any more?

Bugatti *
Bentley
Lamborghini
Porsche
Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat
Thumbs Up

Post #387827 8th Mar 2020 11:38 am
Dartman the one

England 

You all forgot Ducati Laughing but where it fits in pecking order depends on your view of two wheeled motorised transport my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #387828 8th Mar 2020 12:07 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

VW dealership up country from me has the same attitude problem so it seems, friend of mine went in straight from work and was treated as a nuisance until he produced a wedge of cash from his pocket.
His words " Too late now matey, bye "

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #387832 8th Mar 2020 1:58 pm
nick the greek

Greece 

Anyone considered a Toyota Rav4 Adventure? There is also the TRD version coming out soon. Looks capable offroad, but not overkill. The only thing that puts me off is the approach angle. 2013 SE TD4 in Mauritius Blue [Written off]

Post #387840 8th Mar 2020 7:45 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

So, we assembled 10 of the best-selling SUVs in the medium-SUV segment to run them through three basic off-road tests to figure out which is most capable off-road.

Now, before our resident four-wheel-drive experts start smashing their keyboards and throwing chairs through windows, these tests are incredibly basic.

We didn't want to cross the Simpson Desert, we just wanted to see how far they would go in controlled conditions across three of the same tests.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/774881/medium...n-x-trail/ Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #387854 8th Mar 2020 10:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 51 of 53 <123 ... 50 515253>