« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Would you consider something other that a Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 53 <123 ... 202122 ... 515253>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Sorted - Next Land Rover

Sorted Thumbs Up or maybe not as it will probably cost an arm and a leg. Crying or Very sad

http://www.landrover.co.uk/above-and-beyond/reborn.html FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308978 13th Oct 2016 4:40 pm
valleyforge

England 

Oh no - not the much vaunted (but still yet to appear) Defender replacement !
[/quote] FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #309020 14th Oct 2016 11:46 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Reborn Project

So here it is if you have a Censored load of money. A email from the Reborn Project to me, I have not included the contact name and email as it may not be cricket to do so.

Thank you very much for your enquiry

We have tried to make the process as simple and enjoyable as possible for our customers.
So whilst the vehicles will indeed need different amounts of restoration, the end result will always be the same and hence we have fixed the price of three standard models.

The only price variation comes with rarer models or specific years etc.

I am pleased to provide further information as follows.

Restoration Area
Currently, Land Rover Classic operates from a dedicated facility within "Block 35" of our Solihull factory - the historic home of Series vehicles and Defenders. Here, our expert team work tirelessly to complete the first orders for Reborn Series One Land Rovers.

Following a phenomenal response to this programme, Land Rover Classic will move to a purpose-built new home in 2017, based near to the Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations Technical Centre, at Ryton Upon Dunsmore.

In addition to relocating our expert team of Defender and Series vehicle technicians, we will also re-build our archive of unique technical drawings and period blueprints and together, write the next chapter of Land Rover Classic's future.

Restoration Process
The Land Rover Classic Team have been scouring the world to find vehicles that are suitable for restoration. We look for vehicles that retain their original engines, chassis, bulkhead and axles where possible. If not already present the vehicle will be fitted with a period-correct engine and the original vehicle components will be retained and restored, as long as they can achieve the required structural integrity and desired finish.

Although we offer a choice of five different period-correct colours for the body, we will not change the chassis colour of the oldest vehicles, as this could create the impression of an earlier model.

Each Reborn vehicle will undergo a full and complete restoration, including all the mechanical's and this is highlighted in more detail on the attached restoration standards document.

The finished vehicle then comes with a 12-month factory warranty.

Sourcing Vehicles
We have already procured a selection of donor vehicles that are residing in the UK awaiting the restoration process to begin. There are however several more vehicles to secure now that we have been able to gauge the demand for LHD/RHD and the various model years etc.

The earliest 80" vehicles are exceptionally hard to find and are only available sporadically. We will of course agree to finding and supplying such a Land Rover but once our stock is gone then we cannot guarantee when the next will be available.

Pricing
Is between £60,000 and £80,000.

I have attached our short Reborn Brochure and the restorations standards document along with some images of a donor vehicle, now here in the UK, awaiting restoration.

FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #309034 14th Oct 2016 5:01 pm
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

After 3.5 years with my FL2, I've started to get a bit of an itch to change, this thread has been super helpful in laying out the options.

Always assumed I would stay with LR for my next car, but I'm just not sure there's anything in the stable which is for me at the moment (except, maybe the f-pace).

Whist looking like a solid option for my functional needs, the DS just doesn't excite me at all. I've also looked at the evoque quite a lot, I'm ok with going a bit smaller, but it's beginning to feel a bit dated to me, the drive is decent but a little underwhelming and I'm not particularly keen on the rear end (generally, I'm not keen on the design direction LR is going with their rears...the DS and recently announced Discovery just look a bit odd at the back to me - albeit it has some impressive capabilities and features lacking from the DS). Also the interior build quality on these is generally a bit meh to me, particularly the DS feels relatively low quality on the inside.

So I've started looking further afield. My off road usage going forward is going to be pretty low, so I'm open to more of the road based SUVs. I'm ok with asking a kind LR driver to pull me out of the snow if I get stuck Very Happy

After looking at all the usual candidates (BMW, Audi etc), I'm zeroing in on the Porsche Macan. It's pretty much the only SUV I've found that meets most of my requirements and, importantly, excites me in the same way my FL2 has over the years (but, obviously, in a different way). The interior build quality is fantastic, I love the exterior design - it's distinctive which is increasingly rare in the crowded SUV space. And, of course, it's a fantastic drive. I'm not sure you can get much closer to a sports car feel in an SUV. I don't want two cars, so, in theory, it can give me both the fun driving experience with a good chunk of practicality too.

I'm also keeping an eye on the F-Pace - I've haven't driven it yet but looks like it's the main competition to the Macan. I've sat in it, and the interior quality is good but not quite on the Macan level IMO. Seems to suffer from the JLR urge to stick at least a few cheap bits in the interior... But it is a bit more practical, and drive wise reviews suggest it's in the same ball park as the Macan, and my gf prefers the design...

I'm in no rush (although the road tax changes next year are making me consider accelerating my schedule) and continue to be very happy with my FL2. FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #309068 15th Oct 2016 10:33 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Great choice, the Macan is a lovely car. I stand to be corrected but they also have class leading depreciation when they are nicely specified . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #309081 15th Oct 2016 6:05 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

The only thing you have to watch out for on the Macan is the costs, I specced a Macan against my next X3 on lease basis and it came in at £10,000 more over three years, also I expect Porsche dealers will enjoy taking a larger wedge of cash off you come servicing time.

Totally agree with your comments with the DS and Evoque - DS just look dull and whilst the Evoque has a gorgeous front end and interior it has a god awful rear end that seems to resemble a jacked up Austin Allegro.

F-Pace looks really nice but I don't like the letter box rear window - I like to see more than just the roof of whats behind me when I'm driving - also have a look at the forums there are a lot of unhappy F-Pace owners out there Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #309153 17th Oct 2016 11:27 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you're looking at a new Macan then be prepared to possibly wait a while (unless you're considering diesel or 4 cylinder petrol). We had a build slot but pulled out of buying one after we decided against diesel, as there was (and I presume still is) at least an 18 month waiting list for a petrol (non 4 cylinder).

We test drove the diesel and the 4 cylinder. The diesel is a nice drive, quite punchy, but the 4 cylinder disappoints (in a it's not really a Porsche kind of way).

I was fortunate enough to drive around in the Turbo for 3 weeks in the US, and that's quite a car. Too much really.

A lovely car, if you can get one at a decent price and in a reasonable timeframe. We were offered second hand models, to 'jump the queue' that were at a premium to a new price. Admittedly we went through a dealer, privately things may be a bit different.

I would echo other's sentiments though, in my mind it's a perfect combination of SUV space and comfort with performance and handling. It's the only thing my other half would consider to replace her Boxster S.

Post #309165 17th Oct 2016 1:57 pm
andy3681

United Kingdom 

Ditto comments about the F Pace. It was on my list until I spent some time on the Forums. About as happy a place as the Discovery forum, another JLR cock up with a lot of unhappy owners rejecting cars.
Problem is what do you buy but I do like the new XC 90

Post #309166 17th Oct 2016 2:09 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The ghost of British Leyland lives on? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #309173 17th Oct 2016 2:44 pm
andy3681

United Kingdom 

I am a member of a few of forums
The Full Fat and Freel 2 on Martins platform. I also visit the Discovery lads and lasses but its a depressing place.
I am also on the MG T bar forum and the Audi TT forum.
However the Landrover ones are the only ones where there is a large active thread about leaving land Rover and about other cars with contributions from ex Landrover owners who continue to contribute with this one being the worst.
Please discuss?
ta
Andy

Post #309177 17th Oct 2016 3:04 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I echo that- don't know if LR owners have more 'passion' but I was looking at Merc GLC forums yesterday and taken aback by how few posts - cannot accept (or should I? ) only LR cars are faulty 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #309182 17th Oct 2016 3:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

A (non LR) dealer once told me that LR owners are fairly unique in that historically they tend to get more involved in fixing or working on their cars than most marques. With newer models heading for the Chelsea Tractor market this might change. He said it is similar on Porsche, which tend to be bought by enthusiasts (nobody actually needs a Porsche) and where the depreciation curve is totally different as some 20 year old classic 911s can fetch higher prices than new ones. In this respect the Defender is heading for this territory already.

You certainly get more help on any topic on this forum, even to new kitchens. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #309188 17th Oct 2016 4:14 pm
valleyforge

England 

I so very nearly signed up for a new DS HSE recently to replace the freelie & handing over £25k in the process but at the last I couldn't do it. Its such a load of dosh for a car that is a bit different and in some ways a bit better and I know a new one but sorry I just couldn't do it. Its hard to explain as I had no problem at all splashing out on on new Disco's & RRS in the past. I think its because its a downhill step back to a mere car ? That and some of the forum issues like the B pillar issues are a bit of a worry too. Don't know what to do - I shall keep looking here for inspiration ! FL2 Ex D2, D3, RRS, etc. now all gone.

Post #309193 17th Oct 2016 5:15 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

This time last year I was looking around to replace my then coming up to 5 year old Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual. Looked at Evoque and rejected it, considered a Discovery Sport but thought it needed more development. In the end I settled on a Discovery (4) HSE.

One year on, the Discovery 4 is proving to be a great vehicle, running costs, so far are not that much more than the Freelander 2, it's got a great command driving position, comfortable seats etc. etc.

As for the Freelander 2, I couldn't bring myself to part with it, so we moved on the Peugeot 207SW instead and now run a Discovery and a Freelander.

Post #309198 17th Oct 2016 6:12 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Well we have now done the first 1000 miles in the Tucson, without any issues ( As things should be )

I had the two Freelanders HSE and HSE Lux both without any major issues and would , if it was available , bought another. The discovery was to big and the Evoque is just too small in the back for my two dogs.

I did not want , or need , seven seats. My off roading is limited to wet fields and very slightly muddy roads. I need to tow a race box weighing 1750 Kg and get up my moderatly steep drive when it is slippery.

Is the Tucson a good alternative to a Freelander, for me yes BUT it is not a Freelander equivalent.

Appreciating the Freelander is 10 year old design ( or more ) and the Tucson quite new these are a few of my observations.

The trim is at least as good as the FL but not I suspect as good as current LR products. My neighbour tookme out in his Discovery Sport and it was very nice inside . However he has now changed it after 2 months and returned to a Jeep grand Cherokee !!.

The plastics are a little hard in places but very acceptable . The seats are covered in leather which is not quite as soft as the Freelander but again very good. Carpets are adequate not LR quality.

Fit and finish inside is very good ,nothing rattles or squeeks and nothing has fallen off. The swichgear is simple and well thought out and feel solid.

The seats are excellent , very comfortable and supportive and electrically adjustable in all directions BUT there is no memory function. Together with the fully adjustable steering wheel it is very easy to get a good driving position.

It is very quiet and surprised others who have been in it. Handling is precise but steering is a bit light , although you soon get used to it. Road noise is low even with 50 section 19 inch wheels and continental tyres. I thing 18 inch would be better with a higher profile.

My last FL averaged over many miles 32.7 MPG , currently the Tucson is 38.3 MPG ( Not exceptional by any means )However a pretty substantial difference.

As for kit ( and gimmicks ) it is endless

Heated and cooled front seats , heated rear seats, heated steering wheel , Massive full length sun roof with eclectric blind, 8 inch Sat nav ( free updates ) hill hold , LED lights , pudle ligts , corner turning additional lights, lane assist , lane correction , warning for approaching side traffic and rear traffic, keyless opening , Smart boot opening, parking assist ( self parking ) , front collision avoidance,Bluetooth the list goes on.

BUT the main deciders 5 year warranty ,3 year service plan including 3rd year MOT test fee £538, and the price , including the following extras removable tow bar , dog guard, flaps , mats , boot liner, rear trim protector under £30K.

Not the best car , not the worst but rated very highly for reliability.

Shame there was not a LR for me to consider but there we are

Post #309206 17th Oct 2016 7:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 21 of 53 <123 ... 202122 ... 515253>