« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Lights on; lights off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

RogB wrote:
I queried it as well a while ago, cant remember which thread it was on.

I was told it was a sunlight sensor connected to the climate control, so if there was direct sunlight on it, and getting warm, then it would detect it and adjust the climate accordingly (raise the fan speed to circulate cooler air)

the headlight and rain sensor are both definitely housed in the rear view mirror casing.

I thought Rog meant temperature by this..

Fair enough, I didnt see the thread explaining it from the manual. Still Seems very odd, how can it determine wether its a cold day or not? surely the sun is very intense during the winter months just not warming, does it use the other sensors, or does it depend on wether you have the temp set to hot or cold?

I'm not arguing, just curious.. Wink
 MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #293008 8th Mar 2016 3:34 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

it all links into the climate control system, so the upper dash sensor in conjunction with the lower dash sensors (under the steering column I think) and the humidity sensor in the rear view mirror (if fitted like on the HSE).

The climate ECU (if there is one, but I expect there would be) works out from all the different sensor reading where best to direct the right temperature air.

Very clever these Chinese Whistle

Post #293009 8th Mar 2016 3:41 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The original thread is here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23678.html?highlight=sunload

The quote from the workshop manual was:

Quote:
The dual zone climate control system features 2 additional sensors; a cabin temperature sensor and a sunload sensor. The cabin temperature sensor provides a temperature feedback to enable the ATC module software maintain a constant cabin temperature. The sunload sensor provides a reading of solar loading on the vehicle occupants and enables the ATC module to adjust the output from the climate control system accordingly.

The accompanying diagram showed the sunload sensor to be the one on top of the dash.

Post #293010 8th Mar 2016 3:42 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Very cool, Thanks for clarifying Smile MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #293012 8th Mar 2016 3:47 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

According to the Workshop Manual that sensor located in the centre of the dash is the Sunload Sensor.

Heres what written in the manual about it:

The sunload sensor is mounted in the center of the instrument panel upper surface. The sensor contains a photoelectric cell, which provides the CJB with an input of light intensity equating to the solar heating effect on the cabin. The solar heating value is transmitted from the CJB to the ATC module over the medium speed CAN bus. The ATC module compensates for the solar heating effect by adjusting blower speed, air output temperature and air distribution to maintain the required cabin temperature.

Anyone want a free copy of a Repair manual and Wiring diagrams for Freelander 2 2006- 2010 in Pdf format over 3228 pages worth. Thumbs Up

Post #293093 9th Mar 2016 11:24 am
csm norman

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

This thread has made great reading and I now have a good understanding of what is meant to happen.
BUT I recently had a new windscreen fitted, went out later in the day after the glue gubbins had set etc. So screen was lovely and clean, it was brilliant sunshine and the lights came on!
A few days later, in the pouring rain, had to turn lights on manually. Rolling Eyes
I think I'll have to accept it as a quirk of LR!

Post #293172 9th Mar 2016 11:55 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I usually leave the lights on auto and after a new screen was fitted the lights seem to come on more often with less of a change in light levels compared to when the original screen was in place. However, although the lights still come on if I go under a bridge they no longer stay on for a few minutes but go off in after about 30 seconds after passing the bridge. This leads me to think that the replacement screen is a little different to the original and is made by a different manufacturer. All the orginal glass has is marked with the Land Rover Green Oval symbol but the new screen is marked FY. Anyone know of a Chinese screen manufacturer called FY? The new screen was supplied and fitted by Autoglass.

J

Post #293194 10th Mar 2016 11:53 am
csm norman

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Just been talking with a neighbour who has a 2005 discovery.
It seems that his lights also come on in brilliant sunshine in the auto setting Rolling Eyes
Definitely a LR quirk I feel.
Thanks for all the replies.

Post #293784 16th Mar 2016 12:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12