« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Strange noise from front left axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hadjista

Cyprus 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Strange noise from front left axle

Hi everyone, i have a problem with my car and i will try to explain it as much as i can cause its difficult to explain it. Its been some time now that i hear a strange noice (clicking noise as if there is a thin metal loose) from the front left wheel. I can hear the noise
starting after 30-40km speed and only when i have the front passenger window open. If i close the window i can't hear it. Also when i turn left the sound increases.
I raised the whole car on the air using one of those big jacks that engineers have ( all four wheels on the air, no wheel touches the ground), removed the wheel and the whole braking system, got into the car and drove it. The clicking noice was still there so
definetely its not from the wheel nuts or brakes (since there where not present). I think the noise comes from the inner part of the drive shaft and more specifically from the end of the shaft that enters the gearbox part.
Investigating it a bit i found that there are 2 seals at that place (LR003154, LR003155). I believe that there might be something wrong with either those seals or something
else at that specific point.
Also at the end of the inner side of the drive shaft there is a round metal that goes into the gear box (After the inner cv joint) when i hold that and pull it or push it, it moves a bit in and out, is this normal?
Any opinions or experience on how to fix this issue? or what to look for?

thanks Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #142520 11th May 2012 9:21 am
EYorkshire

Hi Hadjista, we're not ignoring you, it's more likely we haven't an answer as its a bit 'deep' for most of us including me. Clicking in the old day for me meant that if it was worse on full lock then the CV joint was at fault and as the drive on a halfshaft is splined then maybe a little in/out play is normal as it needs to move with the suspension.
Sorry I'm no help, maybe this thread bump will bring along someone with a little more knowledge on the subject.

Post #142572 11th May 2012 3:16 pm
Hadjista

hi, thanks for the reply EYorkshire, i know that you are not ignoring me, after all whenever i had a problem and posted it in this forum everyone was more that happy to tell me their opinion and help me, i got a lot of info from all the guys in here and i am very grateful to that, this forum deserves a 5 star Smile I have started taking apart the front left axle to check what is the problem, i believe that the inner CV joint is ok and i suspect that whatever the problem is it must be near the splined part of the halfshaft (there is a thin round metal there that acts as a safety for the axle and I suspect that it is broken). Probably until tomorrow i will find what the problem is and i will let you all know. Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #142910 14th May 2012 3:01 pm
EYorkshire

As you probably know, on the splined end there is a retaining washer and bolt to stop the halfshaft from coming out completely, is that the 'round metal' you are talking about Question other than that it is just oil seals in the axle case.
Best of luck with the strip down Thumbs Up

Post #142911 14th May 2012 3:17 pm
Hadjista

Work is finished...my FL2 is ready to satisfy me again Smile !!!!
It took me 3 days, lots of videos from youtube and many advices from a friend that is a car engineer +220 euro to replace the hub assy
Two problems were identified as the cause of the clicking noise.
1) At the end of the inner shaft (on the splined end) there is a very thin round metallic clip that i believe is the safety to hold the axle in its position within the gearbox. This round metallic clip was broken (cut in half) and as a consequence the axle was 2-3 mm out of its proper position.
2) The wheel bearings needed to be replaced (most of the clicking sound was due to the broken wheel bearings)
Unfortunately for our cars we can't replace just the bearings and you need to buy the whole wheel hub with the bearings inside. (part number for this is LR003157 and is called hub assy).
I was driving the car the whole afternoon yesterday and the clicking sound is gone. It sounds like a normal FL2 now and once again i am happy.

I had problems with the left front wheel for more than a year now. When it first started it was a very very low clicking sound, at the point that i was the only person able to hear it and everyone thought i was crazy.
Since last year i visited the local LandRover dealer more than 5 times regarding this issue (if you see my other posts in this forum you will find a post where i talked about this) and every time they told me that it was due to the brakes and they cleaned and greased them (replaced them also).
My last visit to the dealer was before 2 weeks and they inspected the front left wheel, found NO problem with it whatsoever and they said that everything was fine. By the way this was my first time doing this sort of work on a car and in 3 days i managed to fix it.
I will leave the comments to you.

And by the way if the local LandRover dealer of Cyprus happens to read this post....please feel free to reply and explain to everyone in here why while i was paying for labor work for technical staff to fix my car, technicians with many years of experience couldn't identify such a minor problem and me without any experience i was able to identify it and also fix it. Freelander 2 GS TD4, Stornoway Grey, Manual, called BEAST!!!

Post #143160 16th May 2012 1:14 pm
Chris P

Don't have great expectations from the dealer (any dealer).

Post #143208 16th May 2012 8:00 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Hello

I have kind of same problem. When im steering right and when i hopen left window i hear some clicking noises. I need to steer hard that car goes bit side by suspensions and then it clicks. But steering hard and low speed it wont click. I have no idea where its comming? Any ideas?
Kindly regards jonny
Finland

Post #191930 20th Jul 2013 7:48 pm
roumbis

Cyprus 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I read some comments from hadjista for a strange noise from front axle.
I don't know if the front axles has to do with the problem I have when I braking and turning.
I don't know how it works down there the system of axles, of brakes, steering etc....
Dear hadjista I wait for your comments please.
Thanks
Roumbis

Please my comments with subject "noise front when I braking & turning."

Post #207159 14th Nov 2013 5:39 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi

I have the same "clicking" noise coming from the front left axle. I hear it only when I brake while turning (at low speed when parking for example)

I've always had this noise, 2 years and 25 000 km.

Hadjista : Does the hub assy LR0003157 include 3154 and 3155 ?

Thx

[/u]

Post #210538 10th Dec 2013 1:47 am
Arese

Hi

I have the same "clicking" noise coming from the front left axle. I hear it only when I brake while turning (at low speed when parking for example)

I've always had this noise, 2 years and 25 000 km.

Hadjista : Does the hub assy LR0003157 include 3154 and 3155 ?

Thx

Post #210539 10th Dec 2013 1:48 am
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Hi Arese, did you solve your issue? I think I have the same on my car now.. Cheers

Post #293792 16th Mar 2016 7:35 am
Arese

Hi Kris
No I live with it Mr. Green

Post #293795 16th Mar 2016 9:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1