Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR don't want poor people !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 
LR don't want poor people !!!!

I’ve had lots of Land Rovers over the years and have had 5 Freelanders in all.. 3 MK1’s and 2 MK2’s but my car is now 3 years old so was thinking, what next?.. not sure about the Evogue and I’m not keen on the Disco sports... it’s gone rounded but is the same thing under the skin and I refuse to pay £10K more for a spoilt Freelander.
When I discussed this with the local LR dealer and pointed out that LR are doing nothing for an entry level vehicle, I was told that was because LR only wanted to target people of a certain standing and didn’t want anybody in their dealerships!!... Nice.
Now I buy FL’s because I like the price, the MPG, the size... and the fact it will do everything I need of it... I also have TVR and motorbikes so spend my money over a range instead of just one mode of transport... But from the discussion I had.. it sounds like Land River now class me as undesirable because I don’t want to spend £40K up on one of their's.......
I think this is the end of the road for me and LR... has anyone had a similar experience.
It’s an interesting marketing strategy I’ve got to say... LOL

Post #290431 14th Feb 2016 11:36 pm
j77

Scotland 

I had the DS but got rid. My parents are trading in their Fl2 for a 65 reg Vauxhall Antara run out model, they've had one a few years back. The reason being the same as yours, Land Rovers are just too expensive and to be honest my D4 may well be my last. I fancy the Volvo V90 (estate) when it finally arrives or an XC90. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #290432 15th Feb 2016 12:08 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

strange you mention the Antara,,, I didn't know they existed until I was buying a Corsa for my Mum and there was one in the showromm... looked very nice... But you say they are running them out?.... Yes.. may be VW or Volvo for me...
I think LR will lose a lot of customers with the price hike and attitude!

Post #290433 15th Feb 2016 12:11 am
marklp

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just had a look at the prices to refresh my memory. Discovery Sport SE from £31,095 or RR Evoque from £30,600...

I'm not sure that's so bad given what they are. For example, an Audi Q3 SE quattro starts at £28k. And I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that that's an unfair comparison. Better compare with the Q5, which lists at £33750 for SE quattro spec.

So I don't know what you were comparing LR to, but they look good value compared to Audi. I'm sure the same holds for the BMW X series too. 2010 Freelander 2 HSE Auto Santorini Black / Ebony Leather

Post #290436 15th Feb 2016 12:25 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

yes.. on the base model... go mid range against what they were and its a big jump in price....
plud I don't like the DS for some reason?..

Post #290443 15th Feb 2016 8:46 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Perhaps it will be soon borrowing the marketing slogan of the drink of chavs, Stella Artois. Reassuringly expensive! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #290445 15th Feb 2016 9:08 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Well i wasnt poor, until i bought one Laughing

Post #290446 15th Feb 2016 9:37 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
Perhaps it will be soon borrowing the marketing slogan of the drink of chavs, Stella Artois. Reassuringly expensive!

Thumbs Up

Post #290447 15th Feb 2016 10:08 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

Landiroamer wrote:
Well i wasnt poor, until i bought one Laughing

exactly... I've gone over the 3 years now and the heated seats had gone on half power.. .seats started falling... noise fron the wheel bearing (I hope).... all at 37K miles... no wonder we are poor Laughing

Post #290449 15th Feb 2016 10:11 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was reading an article over the weekend about how the increasing use of electronic displays and equipment in cars is resulting in massive drops in resale values when warranties run out and how when a car is assessed by the trade they are more likely to be looking for warning lights than any other aspect of a car. It cited especially the cheaper hi-tec laden cars like Citroen and Peugeot which have fancy displays and music systems that connect to your iPhone etc to appeal to younger buyers and how they suffer a drop of over 80% when the warranty runs out as the cost of replacing electronic dashboards, sat navs , electronic handbrakes etc can be prohibitive. However this is becoming the norm in more upmarket cars and it cited bills of over £2k for replacement of an Audi display.

For me the Freelander 2 is the first car that I have owned in over 40 years where I would not feel comfortable without a warranty. Perhaps we should be looking at buying base models or investing in classic cars from now on. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #290452 15th Feb 2016 10:27 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

I have a TVR Griffith 500... and although it's ECU controlled at least for the fueling.. the rest is quite basic LOL...
you can actualt do things to it without the need of a huge pull around computerised diagnostic thing to plug in.... Things were much simpler then for sure.. Wink

Post #290454 15th Feb 2016 10:35 am
bbrap

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I have a neighbour who has a new (less than a year old) BMW 7 series M sport. Last week he had a "computer says no" moment and had to have the thing taken back to the dealer on a low loader. Their mobile tech could not coax it to do anything, so it had to be transported. Still there, still not working, still no idea when he will get it back. Not a happy bunny after spending the best part of £75k on it. They did give him a courtesy car while his is in the dock, not sure his misses is happy with it though (its a Mini). FL2 Metropolis, Loire Blue, ebony/ivory

Post #290458 15th Feb 2016 10:58 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

what can you do... once its a no, its a no..... the kan-bus bit wories me.. In my last FL i replaced the door actuator and its a right job to get the system to recognise it... why.. everything has its own ECU now... what will happen with age?.... and have you seen the wire size used in these things now... Rolling Eyes

Post #290460 15th Feb 2016 11:03 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I'm in the trade and when I recently changed from an FL2 to an Evoque, I paid extra to get it from a main dealer with two years Land Rover Assistance, two years full warranty and two years servicing. Just as well too - just recently after three months of ownership, I had an electrical problem that necessitated the dealer replacing the keyless vehicle module. It was pure luxury sitting back with a brand new courtesy car (DS though - yuk) while someone else fixed and paid for it. I dread to think what that would have cost me had I bought privately. They're just too complicated for anything other than basic servicing stuff - even the LR tech guy that came out to it said that you can't do anything on these cars without one of these (referring to his diagnostic computer). Even then, he had to phone up the technical department to give data over the phone to diagnose the problem! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #290461 15th Feb 2016 11:14 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I was reading an article over the weekend about how the increasing use of electronic displays and equipment in cars is resulting in massive drops in resale values when warranties run out and how when a car is assessed by the trade they are more likely to be looking for warning lights than any other aspect of a car. It cited especially the cheaper hi-tec laden cars like Citroen and Peugeot which have fancy displays and music systems that connect to your iPhone etc to appeal to younger buyers and how they suffer a drop of over 80% when the warranty runs out as the cost of replacing electronic dashboards, sat navs , electronic handbrakes etc can be prohibitive. However this is becoming the norm in more upmarket cars and it cited bills of over £2k for replacement of an Audi display.

For me the Freelander 2 is the first car that I have owned in over 40 years where I would not feel comfortable without a warranty. Perhaps we should be looking at buying base models or investing in classic cars from now on.

You want to try owning a BMW then you will really know what feeling uncomfortable without a warranty feels like Big Cry

Post #290463 15th Feb 2016 11:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>