Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
HDMI Cables

I'm about to buy a new TV a Panasonic TX-55CX700 which is UHD 4K tv

I will use my AV Amp to put the sound through

I have HDMI 2 cables going from my Sky HD box, APPLE tV and from the amp to the tv, my amp can cope with 4K signals

The chap in Currys told me I need HDMI 2a to be used due to the 4K signal needing a higher Rating

I'm not sure as the only 4K input is Netflix, or You Tube etc as I don't have Sky4K yet

So if the TV itself is showing the 4K content, it's sound that's passing through the HDMI cables Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283776 8th Dec 2015 7:36 pm
Forty_two

England 

Not sure if this helps, but I purchased a 4k telebox recently. Having never owned a telebox that took hdmi leads (we were still on scart) I purchased a couple of leads from John Lewis.

They work, picture looks great. I don't think anyone broadcasts in 4k yet so don't worry about it.

Post #283778 8th Dec 2015 8:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

It's all to do with data speeds but will have to see what my leads are like

I won't be paying £90 for the monster lead currys wanted to sell me, even if it was a BOGOF offer Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283779 8th Dec 2015 8:12 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

All this 4K is a bit pointless as no transmissions are in 4K yet, more than likely will be 8K by the time the software etc is rolled out so I was told anyway. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #283780 8th Dec 2015 8:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

I have a Panasonic 4k 58ax802, and use Sony HDMI cables (around £10 each) with no issue
If you buy wisely, there is not often a need to spend loads of money on cables. 

Post #283781 8th Dec 2015 8:24 pm
edamball

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Been playing with 4K a bit recently on some high end home cinemas installs. As far as I am aware HDMI 2.x is a change in standard that kit conforms to not so much the cable. That said, some early HDMI cables may not support bandwidth transmissions but HDMI 1.4 complaint leads (about 2010 onwards) should (fingers crossed) be OK.

Post #283782 8th Dec 2015 8:25 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Looking at the place were I bought them, they all are 3D compliant so will see when the deals done

Need to sort a new stand out now, mines 100mm and will need a 120mm as the feet are 100mm apart, or look for a nice cantaleaver style one Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283785 8th Dec 2015 9:04 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Go for a ordost Valhalla 2 4K UHD HDMI Cable, a snip at £6750.

alternatively any £10 quid HDMI 2.0 cable should suffice

Post #283788 8th Dec 2015 9:18 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Crickey my tv is only one step up from black and white, 2K, 3K mines a nothing K, but it'll do, the programs are still the same rubbish whatever youve got.
Mind you the adverts arent bad.

Post #283800 8th Dec 2015 11:39 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

A/V and HiFi in general has always been my passion. I've just resurrected my 30 year old record deck (and spent £150 in the process) so I can play the vinyl again.

I'm working on the wife to let me spend £1500 on some new 5.1 speakers for as well.Not egtting too far - 'the ones you have got sound ok to me'. What does she know.

Just got a new 55" LED dispaly after my plasma screen died under warranty and I got a free 'replacement'. Spent days tweaking it so that the colours are just as I like it.

Ok, yes I am sad.

Post #283810 9th Dec 2015 8:32 am
Diderot

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Expensive digital cables = snake oil.

Post #283811 9th Dec 2015 8:37 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Just found out I can save an extra 5% on it by a NHS discount scheme too, Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #283812 9th Dec 2015 8:41 am
Dartman the one

England 

The 4K signal is picture only so any HDMI can be used for the amp, The TV upscales, and as said apart from Netflix, no 4k transmissions. If and when Sky transmits 4K I suspect you will need a new Sky box or card, Sky is not exactly known for supplying any upgrades for free. The knowledge in Currys is somewhat lacking, they tried to sell me a gold optic lead as the connection was better and there were less losses with gold contacts, he seemed confused when I said light doesn't travel through gold Laughing
Why don't you go to Richer Sounds where the advice is given on a technical basis and not commercial, or John Lewis where the sales staff are manufacturer trained, their sales staff are brand specific. Both give free 6and 5 year warranties respectively my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #283815 9th Dec 2015 9:44 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

as above, ive always used Richer Sounds as I find them to be helpful and knowledgeable. when they sold me my LG TV 5 years ago there was an almost identical one next to it that was also LG but for £200 more. He advised me to get the cheaper one as it had the same specs but the previous years frame. 5 yrs on and I still have it. Yes there are better out there now, but it still shows 1080p HD with no issues.

Its a bit like 4G mobile services, nobody yet offers full 4G (which is just a marketing name anyway) as none of the providers have the equipment for 4G voice, only Data, and then the cells are limited to a small number of 4G users at any one time.
THe only provider who will be full 4G will be BT/EE when they merge as BT were the only ones who bought the hardware even though they didn't have a network to put it on at the time

4G/4K etc etc....... all marketing names to bring in the ''must have latest tech'' public

Post #283817 9th Dec 2015 9:59 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

new TV arrived and all setup on its temporary stand, picture is fantastic and well happy with it

though for some reason my sky box has started to cause some feedback and making the subwoofer hum Censored Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #284209 12th Dec 2015 12:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>