Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Discovery Sport Loan Car.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Discovery Sport Loan Car.

My Metropolis went into the dealer last week for a N/S door rubber coming detatched from the body, anti-roll bar bushes (seem to be very common) & a switch pack to stop the dash lights dimming by themselves. Had the DS for the week due to waiting for parts etc.

* It is Firenze Red & I like Firenze Red.
* Drives quite nicely.
* Apart from the rear end looking unfinished (lack of bumper presense) The styling is growing on me.

That is about it!

It is an SD4 Manual SE so I guess poverty spec though it does have a Pano Roof & side steps.

Car does drive nicely but I think the Manual Box puts me off - Not as bad as my 59 reg FL2 TD4 manual but not as good as my SD4 Manual Evoque. Total lack of acceleration if you are at quite low speed & want to pull away/accelerate in 3rd.

*Dash centre console plastics are cheap & the centre vents even worse with no central click (to keep them central).
*Too much cheap exposed plastic in the rear around door sills & seat adjusters.
*Blasted lights with no auto function, keep leaving them on.
*Audio system is not rubbish it is crap. My Ford Fiesta Sony set up is miles miles better. It really is nasty with a capitol N.
*Went to close the tailgate this afternoon & the entire tailgate trim came away in my hand & landed on the ground.
* Bluetooth was a pain to set up & won't auto connect despite saying it would when I paired the phone? So have to initialise it everytime I get in.
* Driving position is no where near as good as Freelander, can't get the seat to my desired height.
* Although there appears to be more room in the back than FL2 the seats don't fold flat like FL2 & for what I use my FL2 for that makes a difference as the flat floor is so useful.

Would I buy one. No - horrid thing. The HSE Luxury Auto may be better spec wise but the price is rediculous.

That aside it will go back to the dealer in the morning perfectly clean as I have treated it like my own. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #284191 11th Dec 2015 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Proper job Earl.

The DS seems to be flying out of the showrooms down ere like mud.......have seen exactly one on the road! Maybe they are selling well somewhere with more "Premium customers" about.
Our village large fleet of Freely 2s is now down one - a new Volvo XC 60 has replaced a Freely2 - can't find anyone with a Freely 2 that wants a DS.
What a contrast to the launch of the Freely 2- everything so right. The Freely2 was a fantastic achievement by designer Earl Beckles. Nice little video clip here - https://www.facebook.com/CarDesignPage/videos/1201378948136/
Although Earl is still I think at JLR Design I doubt if he will ever be able to come up with a design to match his Freely2.

With the DS its more a question of "what is right about it?"

Post #284205 11th Dec 2015 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
j77

Scotland 

Tailgate trim is a fault with that particular car not the DS in general, again Bluetooth problem with that car, mine paired perfectly each time. No auto lights again problem with that spec not the DS. Overall though they ain't great cars. My one was HSE spec but I much prefer my poverty spec SE Disco. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #284207 11th Dec 2015 11:59 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Definitely wouldn't swap my Freely2 for a DS (except possibly a Citroen DS). Cheap interior, lousy rear-end styling and no headroom for back seat passengers. A big step backwards for JLR, methinks.

Mind you, the Evoque is selling in shedloads and I think it's pig ugly, so what do I know? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #284208 12th Dec 2015 12:13 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I think the Evoque sells because it says Range Rover on the bonnet, sounds better when youre chatting at the pub bar, maybe if it said Land Rover it might have less appeal?
When you say youve got a Land Rover folk immediately think of Farmer Giles with his sheep dog in the back.

Post #284210 12th Dec 2015 12:35 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Recently having both a loan Evoque and DS from dealer after having first service and then tow hitch fitted I must unfortunately agree.
Evoque rides too harsh for a RR, driving position too low, clostophobic interior/visibility.
DS driving position - O Dear!, interior O Dear! (Not special) etc.
I think my biggest dissapointment with both was the general signs of cost cutting and lowing
Build cost, non premium tyres etc.
9 speed gearbox I liked and power tailgate but I really don't need or necessary, prefer FL2 general tank like build quality and driving position.
DS not selling well here, with closest rival which is due for replacement, Q5, outselling DS 2 to 1. Plenty DS's at dealer, Infact everywhere, so supply no issue. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #284213 12th Dec 2015 1:31 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I appreciate some of those criticisms were purely on that car but they annoyed me so I added them to the list.

I forgot two other things.
* It has the AUDI bug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The bloody stereo comes on automatically everytime you start the car. WTF do they do that for? If I want the stereo on I push the button - not difficult.

* The quality of the brake callipers is awful. Have noticed this on all DS cars I have seen, they are all corroded. Serious penny pinching there compared to Freelander.

I think the problem is LR are catering for a different market now so pander to the likes of Chelsea Tractor drivers. Definitely wouldn't say it is value for money though I'm not sure what an SD4 Manual SE costs but I doubt it compares with the cost of an FL2 SE. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #284215 12th Dec 2015 1:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1