« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > aS promised my first impression of the Nissan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
realspeed

United Kingdom 
aS promised my first impression of the Nissan

Ok I know this is a freelander site of which I now longer own and everyone here is out and out Freelander understandably But I did say I would try and do an unbias comparison for those interested

What I would say is do not ignore other makes and be blind/loyal to one only. The freelander is an excellent vehicle and there is no way would I rubbish it and under most circumstances actually recommend it. However For my needs, which I have to consider, now having grandchildren the Nissan 7 seat option is better and still a crossover 4x4.

Yes now proud owner of a Nissan Xtrail Tenka 2014 registered today. have to say it was upsetting to see the LR freelander go but made up for it with this Nissan

So how does it compare?

The freelander I owned was not top of the range whereas this Nissan is, and it does make a huge difference. Size wise the Nissan is taller and about the same length so not much difference from the outside but inside is another story.

We (Sue and I) instantly noticed the difference in internal width, how they have managed it I don't know apart from suspecting a wider wheel base. Also the boot area from back to the back of the rear seats is longer and having the second row able to go foreward or backward does allow flexability.
AS regards seat cover and seat heating I won't comment as I didn't have that nor electric adjustable ones.
The seating as I have not had any try in the LR HSE so that would be unfair other to say other than the seats in the Nissan seem to give more support to the leg calf as they are a bit longer.

Bearing in mind the above, yes the Nissan is impressive certainly.Most of the spec can be found on the net so no point in repeating but I would say you do need a degree in how to operate the centre screen, there is no point in saying sat nav because it is so much more even down on another screen in front of the driver allowing you to even input the car colour from the colour range available. To be honest I can't see the point of that as the car colour is on the outside anyway, but there you go. it has keyless entry and everything is button touch and all one needs is to have the key fob about onesself.

Getting into the third row of seats is best done from the 60 side of the 60/40 split on the second row and even then I would not like to try it if I was over 6ft in height unless one is a double jointed.
Now onto the front end and the engine bay is well laid out but having to find the bonnet prop and support hole for the first time needed more than a second glance. Here the freelander in my opinion wins hands down with the clam format.

I think a sticker would help against an arrow imbedded in the framework. The Nissan is less fussy around the battery top as I did notice the Freelander had several "attachments" to the terminals.

Driving and handling I will give if allowed or please stop me and remove this post. every car has its good and bad points and it is vary hard to not favour one against the other.

So first impressions yes a thumbs up but not having given it a good run only from the garage to home I will reserve judgement. Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233422 1st Sep 2014 6:14 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #233426 1st Sep 2014 6:59 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

Interesting!

Post #233432 1st Sep 2014 8:05 pm
athelstan

Let's nip this one in the bud before it gets slanted into a wrong orientation.

According to official corporate Nissan speak the Sunderland factory in the UK has the best quality output than any of the group's factories worldwide. Sadly the XTrail in all of its variants is not produced in Sunderland, England. Exultations aside with all speed gentlemen.

All that pales into insignificance when measured against driver satisfaction. In reality, having realised his purchase realspeed relishes the thought of long hours relaxing behind the wheel of his X with his "key fob about one's self" (exactly where does it give one most pleasure may one ask) whilst silently cherishing his romance with his resolute ruffian the resilient rambler - his Freelander. Long may that fond remembrance journey with you.

Salute we all, the land of the free rambling forever as it discovers its new sporting star.

Post #233436 1st Sep 2014 8:45 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

athelstan
Mainly correct but you overlooked one important thing.I can put my wife in the 3rd row of seats, turn the radio up and I can't hear her nagging or back seat driving. See there is method in my madness Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233455 1st Sep 2014 10:52 pm
athelstan

Well done that Man.
But would it not be even better to get a small trailer to XTrail and put her in there - then you have the whole cabin to yourself - bliss Wink

Post #233466 2nd Sep 2014 8:09 am
Chelseablue

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Very interesting

Post #233470 2nd Sep 2014 8:35 am
s14tra

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

2.2 dci sport 7 yrs ownership and faultless,only upgraded to fl2 due to towing a larger caravan.all the faults on my fl2 should say get rid,but there seems to be a fatal attraction,and yes given the chance i would buy a newer fl2. Question :roll:spooky.good luck with your new x-trail realspeed Thumbs Up

Post #233472 2nd Sep 2014 8:43 am
Dartman the one

England 

The X-trail was on my list, in general performance there wasn't much difference, OH didn't like it, despite the fact we could have saved £10K with generally the same trim, ( not sure about comfort) The main thing that was against it was the very low tow capability of the auto version. The transition to a 1600cc version with only 350Nm at 1750rpm didn't appeal. Putting it another way, it would not overtake a 40mpher on single carriageway like my SD4 auto does. Even if I didn't tow, OH would still have said no Very Happy my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #233473 2nd Sep 2014 8:53 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The X-Trail used to be a competent, if uninspiring, 4x4. This latest version, though, has gone soft and is just a larger Qashquai. If a large Qashquai is what you want it's probably a very good car, just not for me. But do, please, keep the reviews coming. And do recognise that the two cars don't really compete - the FL2's USP is its off-road ability and that costs money to provide so it's always going to cost more, or be less well equipped, than something like the Quashqai.

Post #233474 2nd Sep 2014 9:30 am
athelstan

"do recognise that the two cars don't really compete - the FL2's USP is its off-road ability and that costs money to provide so it's always going to cost more, or be less well equipped,"

Well stated Pab.
Love your XTrail or your FL2 but let's not put them in the same beauty contest.

Post #233478 2nd Sep 2014 9:49 am
pab

"... let's not put them in the same beauty contest"

The problem, of course, is that most buyers these days aren't interested in the off-road capability and so do put them in the same beauty contest. Then they complain about how expensive and poorly equipped the FL2 is in comparison to their new X3, or whatever! This influx of new buyers, and thus new money, has been good for the company but in many ways bad for the cars which are increasingly just another over-priced SUV!

Post #233481 2nd Sep 2014 9:59 am
athelstan

Yep - an astute observation.
Given that JLR's recent TV ad campaign was all about shopping in an FL2 in the Windy City streets its not surprising that inappropriate comparisons are made.
But it has been very good for the corporate bottom line - and long may that aspect continue. Strong bottom line = potentially strong product development.

Post #233483 2nd Sep 2014 10:10 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

seems to me even although I have already acknowledged there are differences and each to their own and the spec is different, there is not much point in trying to give an unbias opinion between both marks
I was going to carry on about ride comfort- steering -towing and many other things but don't think I will bother now. Sorry. I may not be around so much now but will try looking in occassionally and put in my 2 pennies worth Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233486 2nd Sep 2014 10:27 am
pab

Quote:
I was going to carry on about ride comfort- steering -towing and many other things but don't think I will bother now.

I think you ought to - it will be of interest to many here (me included). My point (if I'm one of the ones who has put you off) is simply that one can't really compare directly because of the different design constraints. So the X-Trail may well be a better on-road drive, because it doesn't have to allow for driving across ploughed fields. Similarly, the FL2 will be better in the ploughed field. The X-Trail will have better fuel consumption, whilst the FL2 will be the better tow car. It's not that one is better than the other - it's that they're different cars designed for different things and should be compared against their target audiences not one another. In that context I'm actually quite interested in the X-Trail and how it fares in its taget sector.

Post #233490 2nd Sep 2014 11:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>