Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > aS promised my first impression of the Nissan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Dartman the one

England 

From what you say Realspeed, is it really fair to compare it to the FL maybe not be quite, to the last model would be fairer as both designs are about the same age with various face lifts, though more expensive I would think the new DS as a better comparison. Nissan though has the option of using the QX50 for the higher spec models and the RRS falls between the QX50 and QX70. Marketing is the game, but the FL definitely lacks in the electronic gizmos but not in the electronic driver aids. First impressions are always interesting, but after 1K miles it would be nice to hear how you feel then, you may have mastered the info screen Very Happy my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #233677 3rd Sep 2014 12:24 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

You are quite correct but not having a new freelander or even one to compare with I did my best with what I had.
Maybe you can do a better comparison and post your thoughts on here as well with a previous car you owned ??????

Anyway at least I tried Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233688 3rd Sep 2014 1:54 pm
Dartman the one

England 

No criticism realspeed , just a comment. Seeing as my previous top of the range 2007 model Santa Fe was more a direct comparison to the FL, it didn't really stand up very well, but it was some 」12K cheaper and bought at the same age from new that would not be surprising, both had leather, but certainly not the same breed of cow, The SF didn't have RDS radio, a telephone nav system with a yearly subscription, manual 5 speed box and a 155bhp engine. compared to the FL it handled like a drunken trolley bus and its electronic driver aids seemed to act well after the car lost traction. The AWD system cut in late under hard acceleration and it had considerable torque steer, yes it was cheap and yes it showed, and at that time perhaps the X-Trail may have been a better bet but the time neither of us liked the interior of that model. Some you win, some you lose, and I probably lost my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #233699 3rd Sep 2014 4:16 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I had a Kia Sorento and thought it a good price until changing to 4WD made the ABS lights come on and didn't go into 4WD
3 times back under warranty and still not fixed by 2 main dealers during which I found out the wiring underneath had corroded and they refused to put in a new wiring loom. The brake discs (not the shoe part) the actual disks warped after 800 miles.
One engine part failed and it took 6/8 weeks to get another from Korea and this is a sister company to your car. The 7 year warranty isn',t they can't replace the radio in my wifes Ceed estate 2009 model from new and that also had to have a new set of wheels due to corrosion

Kia are an out and out con company in my opinion and the sell cars on hype not on quality or after sales service. Must be one of the worst ever to sell /make cars.

Just some of the 4x4's I have had, could add a ford explorer and a toyota 4 runner and 2 more landcuiser amazons and a series 3 LR also a Honda CR-V if I could find the photos on the discs Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233717 3rd Sep 2014 6:57 pm
athelstan

realspeed
Firstly a word of caution - there are certain folks on here that object to detailed and extensive postings - they also don't like the use of words containing more than four characters so be prepared to put your flak jacket on as you've gone way beyond their "tolerance" level with your quick succession of lengthy postings chum...... Wink

Right you laid down a challenge to comment on my cars so here goes (and not in strict chronological order) but before I do - thanks for taking the time to give us your observations on your XTrail. Interesting reading it was.

I'm a motorbike chap rather than a car man and no car I've owned or ones I've driven that have belonged to others have given me anywhere near one tenth of the pleasure of riding a motorcycle. So now you know what my baseline benchmark will be.

Of all the LR's I have owned my favourite has to be my very first RR Vogue. Compared to later models it was not the height of luxury but it did transport me into a more comfortable zone than the 90, 110, or Series 3 before it. The wild card must be the Rover SDI Vitesse. Absolute crazy fun and very quick, as was the Triumph Dolomite Sprint. Thank goodness with that car I had a factory ex rally team's spanner man to keep it in fine fettle but to do so was costing me a fortune. Getting older I bought another RR Vogue but I was never pleased with it as I kept comparing my driving pleasure with that of its earlier less refined sibling. So it went, and after meeting Peter Wheeler I bought a TVR Chimaera 450. Yikes. Trouble was whilst it worked nothing stayed put. Trim n fittings just kept dropping off. But a bug had bitten and I had to scratch it again.

So to the car I really fell in love with - my Morgan Plus4. Beautifully built. Lovely to drive. We swore an eternal allegiance never to get divorced. Years of joyful motoring past till one day a young Swiss women I had met only hand full of years before told me that I was to become a father for the very first time in my life at a very late stage in life. With two women in my life fighting each other for affection and a child on its way it was a nightmare, and the bikes in the garage were also in revolt.

Daughter was born - mum was a doctor - and there came the health and safety executive interrogation: where's the ABS, where's the Isofix anchors for the baby seat, where's the airbags, doesn't it have more powerful headlights, where's the air con. It went on and on - the Morgan daren't show its face. I was resigned to sneak out on my bikes (Triumph T160, Norton Commando, a Silk700s, Ducati 998 and a Ducati ST4s) but they too soon came under attack.

So I could only see one solution that would stave off this Putinesque assault - buy her a child safe car - a Land Rover. In Nov'09 a MY10 NCAP 5star adult and 4star child safety rating Freelander2 "Newport" arrived at my great expense (not just fiscally but more than that, emotionally) for I knew that my motorcycling days were numbered from now on in, and, it would be only a matter of time before my mistress Morgan would have to leave.

Women - don't they just wreck your octane fun Big Cry

Post #233739 3rd Sep 2014 9:09 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

realspeed
Firstly a word of caution - there are certain folks on here that object to detailed and extensive postings - they also don't like the use of words containing more than four characters so be prepared to put your flak jacket on as you've gone way beyond their "tolerance" level with your quick succession of lengthy postings chum

Thanks for the warning. Under those circumstances and now not owning a freelander it is time I left the group.

So thank you all for putting up with me all these years and may your freelanders go on for ever . Bye and god bless Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #233750 4th Sep 2014 4:58 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Realspeed

No, stay, join in and report back, ignore Ethalstan ramblings most do nowadays anyway Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #233752 4th Sep 2014 6:23 am
athelstan

Realspeed
You see - some don't even respect one's nome de plume. And he's supposed to be a "moderator".
But as the boy said - stay - don't let the odd member or two chase you away.

I'm looking for what may be my very last new car purchase as I am rapidly chasing down 70 - and - identifying that vehicle is not easy. I seriously looked at the new RRS, drove a number of different ones for a few weeks and said no. I looked at the Jaguar Sportswagen as it is available here in 4x4 format. That's still a contender. I am looking forward to the launch of the Jaguar XE. But whatever I end up in it will be a UK manufactured vehicle - could even be the replacement of the current Defender; however it certainly won't be a Mini.

Enjoy your XTrail. And as Dartman appropriately said: it would be interesting to hear your thoughts after a thousand miles or so - I totally agree. Drive on. Report on. Thumbs Up

Post #233754 4th Sep 2014 6:42 am
Truffs

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Just reading your posts and I noticed about the wing mirrors.

If you go on the Nissan forum you can purchase and have installed by an auto electrician a control box that automatically closes and opens the mirrors on locking and unlocking

Post #233755 4th Sep 2014 6:56 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

npinks wrote:
ignore Ethalstan ramblings most do nowadays anyway Thumbs Up

Echoed. Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #233758 4th Sep 2014 7:40 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

realspeed wrote:
Thanks for the warning. Under those circumstances and now not owning a freelander it is time I left the group.

No, stick around. Nothing to object to in this thread. And with the end of the FL2 in sight the forum needs to hold on to all the members it can! (With one or two possible exceptions, of which you're not one Laughing )

The only other-marque posts I object to are the ones where someone starts going on about how c**p the FL is in comparison to their new {whatever}, when their new {whatever} clearly doesn't compete with the FL (usually because it has no off-road ability).

Post #233769 4th Sep 2014 10:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123