Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Land Rover Experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vince

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Land Rover Experience

Hello everyone,

Thought I would just pop a quick note on regarding the Land Rover Experience in Skipton - firstly a very welcoming bunch and very knowledgeable about the car.

Second - I was very surprised actually how capable the car is - the terrain response and down hill assist stuff is hugely impressive.

One thing I didn't realise is that the different programmes aren't reserved for off road use - the snow/grass setting is perfect for use any time the road has less traction than normal, heavy rain for example. We tested this on road in the wet and it transforms the way the car handles.

So impressed with service and abilities!

Cheers
Paul.

Post #232018 18th Aug 2014 1:37 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Been to the LR Experience centre a couple of times in the D3.
Yes, great bunch and a thoroughly enjoyable [if not expensive] day out .... unless you got it free!
Not tried the FL off road yet .... heck I only got it yesterday Rolling Eyes

Now you've experienced 'off road' a good [& cheaper] day out would be one of the open days at Tong.
You use your own car [take the wife & kids], but you're on your own, so best go with another one or two.
But they do have marshalls who'd come to your asistance if stuck [as would other 4x4 drivers].

Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #232024 18th Aug 2014 3:20 pm
go cytocis

2013 LR2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
Re: Land Rover Experience

Vince wrote:
the snow/grass setting is perfect for use any time the road has less traction than normal
Yes, I also prefer the smoother gear shifts, & fewer downshifts, the transmission performs when on-road in the snow/grass mode.

Post #232026 18th Aug 2014 3:57 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame
Re: Land Rover Experience

Vince wrote:
One thing I didn't realise is that the different programmes aren't reserved for off road use - the snow/grass setting is perfect for use any time the road has less traction than normal, heavy rain for example.

Hey Paul,

I was under the impression that you shouldn't use the special modes for normal on road driving, except for perhaps quick bursts as you take off from the lights etc.

Am I completely wrong? I can't think of any real technical reason why not to use them, except that perhaps the mechanisms might get more use than they otherwise normally would?

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #232093 19th Aug 2014 2:51 am
Vince

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

I was under exactly the same impression to be honest but when i got there he asked me 'have you used any of the terrain response on the way down?' - i replied 'no, its only a bit of rain' thinking it was a trick question.

The instructor had a discovery 4 and had freelanders in the past and said he used the 'snow' setting whenever it rained and one of the other instructors used it in 'snow' permanently because as someone mentioned above he preferred the gear changes (mines manual so nothing there for me!) and the handling.

From his explaining it does keep it in 50/50 front rear split upto a higher speed and i did see the traction control light flash when i went around a tight corner so i'm slightly unsure of using it when i'm pottering around the houses (i'm assuming the light flashing is because one of the wheels is being forced to rotate due to the 50/50 split) but on the open road i cant emphasize enough the difference in how planted to car felt and once upto speed it just changes the traction control programme - which essentially is just software utilising some sensors.

My personal opinion is i'm going to start using it more in the wet - it handled like a much lighter, lower car and as a side thought i always think if i don't use it now when i come to NEED it is it going to work?! - might sound silly but that thought comes from previous defender ownership where i would make sure i used the diff lock and low range at least once a month (mechanical i know so slightly different but same train of thought).

Post #232094 19th Aug 2014 8:02 am
taztastic

England 

I also use the GGS at times, certainly heavy rain and I also used to use it crawling in traffic, made things easier as it was more lethargic.
Mud Ruts I only ever used around Kielder, not because it needed it, simply because it was there, HDC is selected and a few times going down slopes, just let the car do it's thing.
Sand mode is probably the one that will hammer the transmission, yes it's great for quick getaways or hustling along fast country roads but I suspect with the torque and it's response it may well do more harm than good using it long term, I believe it is this mode that locks a 50:50 split into the transmission, the other modes are variable depending on conditions.
Something along these lines (borrowed from a post by Pab Thumbs Up )

GGS: 60/40 torque, with a more gradual change to front bias as speed rises. Reduced throttle response. Tight control of wheelspin using brakes and power.

M&R: 50/50 torque. Reduced throttle response. Control of wheelspin, but less so than GGS.

Sand: 50/50 torque Increased throttle response.

If the car was designed not to do something it would tell you or simply not do it, one of our European friends had a transmission overheat error that dropped him into a lesser mode but kept him going, particularly rough terrain for miles, more than we could throw at the car over here. http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic19628.html

Post #232096 19th Aug 2014 8:40 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I got that 60/40 GGS figure from elsewhere on here, but having now understood rather more about how the Haldex and its control systems work I think it's probably wrong - I think all the special programs start off 50/50 and it's more a case of at what speed and under what circumstances they move to a front bias.

Post #232104 19th Aug 2014 9:30 am
flylr

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Did my rockingham LR experience last weekend in a FFRR. Wow - mightily impressed with the car. Instructor was great.
I asked about the different modes on my Freelander and was told in terms of 4wd they are the same. Ie choosing a mode does not activate the diff lock or anything? I had previously assumed it did. (Coming) 2016 RR Evoque td4 180 HSE Dynamc
(Going) 2013 TD4 GS Auto - Santorini Black with black leather. Cold Climate, UK Lighting & Armrest Packs. Privacy Glass. LR Rubber Mats. Full size spare.
60 000 miles averaging 35mpg

(Gone) 2010 TD4 Manual GS - Stornoway Grey. Sold at 3yrs old & 64k miles. Final average consumption 39.2mpg.

Post #234272 8th Sep 2014 10:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1