« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Clarkson in trouble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

^^ Agreed.

I see your point about generating publicity but I don't believe he's so much of a bellend that it's 100% his raison d'etre. I don't think anyone really wants to be known as a racist (unless they are, of course)..

Post #223724 2nd May 2014 9:58 am
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Well said Badger totally agree. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #223725 2nd May 2014 10:05 am
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Seems to be that it is absolutely fine to be a racist as long as you keep quiet about it

But

You can be totally NOT a racist and a bit careless or foolish and you are the devil incarnate and likely to be prosecuted

Post #223727 2nd May 2014 10:30 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

JC is not a racist, just a very clever presenter who knows how to manipulate the media and the public to maximise his personal wealth.

Iain

Post #223728 2nd May 2014 10:37 am
ad210358

England 

People seem to be just waiting for an excuse just to have a pop at someone, just to sensitive, I doubt if we will ever see a factual remake of The Dambusters either.

Post #223733 2nd May 2014 11:27 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

^^ Rolling with laughter

Or various Enid Blyton stories for that matter.... Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #223735 2nd May 2014 11:41 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quite. Or Billy Bunter. Or Biggles. All racist.

Apparently it's even racist to call your dog Didier Dogba (Clarkson yet again). Rolling Eyes

The loonies are everywhere, and the problem is they're winning.

Post #223736 2nd May 2014 11:49 am
DonDon

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Badger1970 wrote:
Personally, I find the "R" word that is levied on a daily basis in the media most offensive! But then I am white, so my opinion doesn't matter does it? It's the most overused word in the English language (inappropriately in the majority of cases), yet the PC Left and the bleeding heart "Yuman Rites" mob, along with other ethnic minorities are able to slur someone who just happens to be white with total impunity when something doesn't quite fall their way, or there's a few quid to be made out of it.

What these aforementioned bloody fools don't realise is that their attitudes are creating division between communities, as they seem to view colour/religion above anything else! About time they grew a pair, and stopped being "offended" at every opportunity.

Perhaps you are not aware of the numerous racial crimes that have gone to court where the perpetrator and the victim have been white but of different nationality ie Scottish, Irish ,Welsh or English. I am not a bleeding heart PC lefty or Human Rights activist but I do believe that we all deserve a bit of respect and should consider carefully what we say lest we offend.

Not too hard to do I would suggest. Thumbs Up

Post #223737 2nd May 2014 11:51 am
EYorkshire

ad210358 wrote:
People seem to be just waiting for an excuse just to have a pop at someone, just to sensitive, I doubt if we will ever see a factual remake of The Dambusters either.

I never knew that, I had to google a few words to find what you meant. Nice one Laughing

Post #223739 2nd May 2014 11:53 am
pab

DonDon wrote:
... I do believe that we all deserve a bit of respect and should consider carefully what we say lest we offend.

Nothing wrong with a bit of respect, but the perception of offence is in the eye of the beholder and therein lies the problem - extremist beholders.

What's the difference between calling me a 'pom' and calling an Asian person a 'slope'? In reality none at all, but the perception is different. No one is likely to care or start screaming racist if some Aussie calls me a pom (least of all me). But if the target is Asian it's different, for some reason.

We need a sense of perspective - don't take offence at things which were not intended to be offensive! And more importantly, don't take offence on behalf of some third party you've never met or ever heard of before at things which were not intended to be offensive!

Post #223743 2nd May 2014 12:28 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

your all feckers the lot of you, stop discussing a furore over a man reading a nursery rhyme, At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #223744 2nd May 2014 12:35 pm
EYorkshire

I'm going to complain that it is not PC for CG to call us 'vaners' or 'vanners' Whistle

Post #223746 2nd May 2014 1:00 pm
pab

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Well, perhaps not literally to the death... Smile

Post #223748 2nd May 2014 1:20 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

In my view, if Clarkson held / holds racist views, he wouldn't have shirked from using the n-word out loud, knowing that he could re-edit and start again. As it was, he mumbled the middle verse to the point where, unless you already KNEW the verse, you'd NEVER be able to make out the bloody word. As James May said, Clarkson might be reasonably criticised as 'a bellend' but he doesn't strike me as malicious.
I believe it's the intent that counts. I don't think any racist intent was there. It's an old, well-known verse and, yes, times have moved on, and we no longer call each other n****r, p**i, y*d, d**o etc etc but you can't uninvent things and, in the context of the footage ("which car should I choose... eeny meeny miny mo...etc") I think that use of the rhyme is acceptable, to skirt/hide/mumble to the point of incoherence a word we now deem offensive is acceptable. To read it outright and loud would have been a big error. Which he didn't make.
As it stands now, I think that the PC brigade, having won many reasonable victories, is on the bloody warpath, aided by self-righteous pri**s in the press, who no doubt use much more offensive lingo when not in the public gaze.
Clarkson's apology was not an apology for using a word but an appeal for more reasonableness in the debate over offense drawn. Some people need to get a grip and stop wasting their lives looking for ways to be offended.
He KNEW that he couldn't use the n-word so he didn't. I challenge anyone who doesn't know the verse to tell me just what he mumbled. Might as well hang me for whistling 'Old Dixie' since it's a favourite of the South.
It's also interesting that, in the papers where they conduct an online poll "Should Clarkson be sacked?" there's a healthy majority voting NO, even in the soddin' Guardian! ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #223750 2nd May 2014 1:35 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

EYorkshire wrote:
I'm going to complain that it is not PC for CG to call us 'vaners' or 'vanners' Whistle

Oh am I mistaken? Is tw$ts preferable? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #223757 2nd May 2014 2:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>