Home > Off Topic > Clarkson in trouble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Clarkson in trouble

http://news.sky.com/story/1253478/clarkson...racism-row

Could be coincidence that Piers Morgan's old paper is behind the story or it could be that Morgan has contacts there and is desperate for revenge after he got sacked from CNN and Clarkson had a dig at him.

In any case, Clarkson has my support here. He mumbled and it may have sounded like it but he didn't use the word and isn't racist. I've watched him for many years and read all his books and he's no racist.

If you want a good summary, look no further than the response from James May Thumbs Up I hope the BBC don't panic and go down the sacking road, that would be OTT LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #223691 1st May 2014 11:02 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I don't know him, never met him, read a couple of his books. He's a funny guy, a bit of a Tory tit, but a good broadcaster.

Is he racist? Who knows..? The thing that constantly gobsmacks me about 'shocks' like this is how people in the public eye can be so monumentally stupid!

"I did everything in my power not to use that word.." FFS, don't use it then! Don't even mumble it. In fact, how about not even saying that particular nursery rhyme? EVERYONE knows 'that word' is in it, and EVERYONE knows how sensitive people are to it, whether you agree or not.

This wasn't even a private moment caught by the paps or an undercover journalist. This was a bit he did to camera, THREE times!! A racist he may not be, but he's certainly made himself out to be a monumental cock, if nothing else.

Post #223692 1st May 2014 11:14 pm
DonDon

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I did everything in my power not to use that word ..........

What a load of bull!

Clarkson deserves all that may be coming his way.

Post #223693 1st May 2014 11:20 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

^ Wrong Rolling Eyes

As per what May was saying, idiot but no racist. He's always going to play up to the camera but if he meant to say it then that makes him racist and there is no way would he set out to use that word.

The word itself is unacceptable but people and the press are too quick to jump on the racism bandwagon. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #223696 1st May 2014 11:28 pm
le bouch

I don't quite get your point. Seems like he's saying he DID say it. He "mumbled" it? Give me strength.

FWIW, I don't actually believe that saying that fabled word makes him or anyone else a racist in itself. But my God, how stupid can he be?

Post #223697 1st May 2014 11:40 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I don't recall seeing there clip of the muttered n word

But, the twist on the rhyme word would suffice

Eeny, meeny, miny moe,
Catch a 'n word' by the toe.
If he hollers make him pay,
Fifty dollars every day.

Did clarkeson say any of that or was it the other normal variation which I grew up with

Put the baby on the po.
When he's done,
Wipe his bum.
And tell his mother what he's done.

All this is because of the few that complained due to been accused of incorrect using the word slope, and that was in reference to the wonky bridge not he burmease gent on the bridge

Should not use the n word unless, your the stereotypical gang member or rapper

Post #223698 2nd May 2014 12:03 am
DonDon

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I couldn't care less what Clarkson's mate, James May has to say on the matter as he is hardly going to condemn his cash cow. I also would agree that the use of the 'N' word does not a racist make. BUT the use of the word is totally unjustified in today's politically correct society and more importantly, is guaranteed to cause offence to members of the public. Clarkson knows this and is desperately trying to recover the situation.

Perhaps he should have thought this through before speaking to camera.

Post #223699 2nd May 2014 12:20 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

If he's racist and set out to use the word to cause offence then you can understand a sacking. A firm warning for being an idiot in such circumstances is more proportionate than a sacking if no such intention and racism exists.

I'm as equal rights as they come and two close friends of mine are Muslim and live at the heart of a Muslim community in the city. They too agree that racism has gone mad!

City council worrying about what to say or do not to upset them when the reality is that unless there is clear racism, the Muslim community aren't fazed by the odd mistake or controversial article! That's straight from the community!

I myself suffer from epilepsy and people often say "so and so will have a fit when they find out." Whilst that doesn't have the impact of the N word, the principle of respect applies but it's what people and the media make of it.

I don't care about people saying that as it is just an old saying and not intended to cause upset. People who make jokes about it are naive and idiotic but to sack someone for such a joke would be absurd IMO.

People have got the wrong attitude. Look at that guy dying of cancer yet raising money with such courage! Life is too short! If offence is intended then take proportionate action rather than a knee jerk reaction. If racism is clear then stamp it out.

But the sooner the press and the media stop playing the race card left, right and centre, and demanding severe punishment for the accused, the better we will be. Spend less time revelling in the scandal and more time arriving at a proportionate and fair response. A response Clarkson deserves.

Thumbs Up

EDIT: Edited accordingly LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #223700 2nd May 2014 12:39 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Always seemed strange to me that this word is a complete no no, unles it's a black comedian using it, then it's funny!

Post #223704 2nd May 2014 7:05 am
EYorkshire

Completely agree Wiz, is it the word that is wrong or is it the colour of the person that uttered it that makes it wrong Confused
Because Clarkson is in the public eye he has to be seen as squeaky clean when it comes to PC, and he may have made a mistake by saying it but FFS, forget it and move on. There is always someone out to pull a person down and joe public glued to the TV, pen in hand waiting to complain Rolling Eyes

Post #223707 2nd May 2014 8:03 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Personally, I find the "R" word that is levied on a daily basis in the media most offensive! But then I am white, so my opinion doesn't matter does it? It's the most overused word in the English language (inappropriately in the majority of cases), yet the PC Left and the bleeding heart "Yuman Rites" mob, along with other ethnic minorities are able to slur someone who just happens to be white with total impunity when something doesn't quite fall their way, or there's a few quid to be made out of it.

What these aforementioned bloody fools don't realise is that their attitudes are creating division between communities, as they seem to view colour/religion above anything else! About time they grew a pair, and stopped being "offended" at every opportunity. Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #223709 2nd May 2014 8:35 am
Dartman the one

England 

I rather suspect it was in the script and the genre of the programme to take the Censored out of the PC correctness of the word, someone let it out, was it deliberate and all a con, big advert for free, Clarkson is well known for his views on PC and ridicules it continually. Error? marketing ploy? yes it was a deliberate mumble did it come out? the intention was to emphasise the covering up of the well known description and taking the proverbial Standard Clarkson Top Gear, it's expected. We all know now they are filming the next TG series my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #223710 2nd May 2014 8:36 am
le bouch

There are a multitude of reasons why that word is considered acceptable for black people to say. A little like the Spurs 'Yid Army' debate - they've 'claimed' the word - some see that as acceptable, others as hypocrisy.

Clarkson's shown colossally bad judgement - and for him to 'beg for forgiveness' shows that he knows he's dropped a huge Censored . I doubt whether he will (or people will let him) forget it and move on. It probably just confirms what a lot of people already think about him and this just gives them ammunition. Live by the sword...

I don't agree with witch hunts and agree that many people blow these things out of all proportion. As I said above, I actually find Clarkson amusing and a great broadcaster.

Only he knows if he's racist or not. I do know that unless you're self employed, mutter or mumble that word at work and you'd be fired. End of.

Post #223711 2nd May 2014 8:40 am
athelstan

Words themselves are not offensive - it is the context in which they are used which constructs the offence.

Shout the word n Censored (I have to spell it out like this to over come this site's priggish PC posture) on its own into the face of a dark skinned person and it unequivocally is being used in a racist slur. Use the word in a well known phase to describe a hindrance or a hidden snag and it is still contemporarily perfectly acceptable.

Does my use of the word in this post constitute an offence under the race relations act - absolutely not. So why all the ducking and diving by you lot in this thread around the word by defaulting to "n".

The reference of which is not n Censored rather:
1: a determiner of an unspecified or variable number
2: an accepted abbreviation in the English language for amongst other things - new, neuter, noon, nominative, neutral, natus, and noun.
3: or as an informal link - as in "rock n roll".

Under no circumstances linguistically is "n" an established principle to identify a negro.

As for Mr Clarkson; he's a well versed, polished professional bigot who is prepared to rattle feathers to inflate his notoriety. Expect more from him.

Post #223716 2nd May 2014 9:24 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

le bouch wrote:
Clarkson's shown colossally bad judgement

Has he? Once again he's generated huge amounts of publicity, and there's truth in the old saw that there's (almost) no such thing as bad publicity. Gerald Ratner knows it's not an absolute, but it's not far off. This is all part of the huge media sensation which makes Clarkson and Top Gear the BBC's biggest earner. This won't do him any harm at all.

As for the PC arguments, there is a balance to be struck between Political Correctness and freedom of speech. We've allowed PC Paranoia to disturb that balance, and we're sacrificing freedom of speech as a result. PC Paranoia doesn't do anyone any good in the long term.

Post #223720 2nd May 2014 9:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>