Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Tips for improving MPG
What's the single most important factor for MPG?
Choice of fuel
5%
 5%  [3]
Driving speed
78%
 78%  [44]
Chipped engine
1%
 1%  [1]
Tire pressure
8%
 8%  [5]
Vehicle loading
5%
 5%  [3]
Total Votes: 56

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Why all the advice to buy a Prius? Far more fun to buy a motorbike for when you don't need to carry the golf stuff! I commuted by bike for years and used it for business visits also. Nowadays vehicles are strictly for pleasure! Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #223590 30th Apr 2014 6:07 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I got as far as the first two and stopped reading. My advice would be to ensure that you are following the correct procedure for measuring MPG per tank of fuel and not relying entirely upon a gauge. If you're calculations show you're up by 5mpg, that's about 60 (12 gal tank) miles per tank further. That's around a couple of hours extra travelling per tank. The safest place to be in terms of road safety, is off the roads so when driving on them, do everything you can to get where you're going and off the roads as soon as you can.

You have chosen the wrong vehicle if fuel economy is any concern. I was getting 30-35mpg back in the 1980's so even with a 2009 HSE Td4, nothing has changed in that regard.

Seriously? Over inflate your tyres so they will wear unevenly and drive among the lorries at 55mph when you could be travelling at 70mph? Please don't do this unless you absolutely have to due to road conditions. I'm sure you're a reasonable person and you have reached your conclusions for good reasons but I doubt you're gaining more in MPG than you're losing in wear and time. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #223636 1st May 2014 10:02 am
Coverdale

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
MPG dropping

Hi All
Just joined and thought I'd chip in
when I got my HSE (second user, though 6 months old), I was getting a welcome low 40's on frequent cross pennine routes.
Howvever, now 5 years later it averages 36 for same journeys. Things must be wearing out..... Question

Thinking of getting a black box inserted (new programming) not chip replacement, to get extra mpg and performance back.
Any thoughts out there
Cheers Tony

Post #246930 30th Dec 2014 6:56 pm
ad210358

England 

Would not waste my money on a Black Box, a few resisters on a circuit board made at a cost of a few pence won't achieve much but a load of trouble, it just tricks the the ECU to add more fuel, if you seriously want to improve performance the only way forward is a proper remap. But, if you start to use the extra performance you will use more fuel, drive at the same rate you should use less, but then at the cost of the remap you will need to rack up the miles to get the cash back.

Post #246938 30th Dec 2014 7:39 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue

I'll vouch for that too

My TD5 Defender came with a Puma tuning box on it (RRP £400!!!!!) so I didn't think much of it and left it on. A few months back I was having issues with starting and it was suggested that the box might be the problem - so I removed it.

Cutting a long story short it turned out to be a duff starter motor that was causing the issues - but after driving for 2 months WITHOUT the box fitted my MPG has actually gone UP Rolling Eyes

Only difference I can feel to how it drives is that I seem to have lost a little bit of top end power, but that's only an issue once you start heading over 70mph... and being as aerodynamic as a house that doesn't happen very often anyway Laughing

Post #246943 30th Dec 2014 8:03 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have moved from manual to auto:

Don’t get pain in arm & leg any more from start stop traffic.
Can’t do anything about Sydney’s steep topography and intersections.
Maximum tire pressure of 32 reduced to 28 which has improved Sydney’s goat tracks.
AC always on.

Engine is still too new & have let the car idle longer than necessary fiddling with the new car.

About 17 mpg for city driving.
One country drive 31 mpg.

Love the engine and quietness of the car and how much it irons out the roads. I walk where I can so I am still ahead with fuel costs. If fuel costs were at the top of my list I would have bought a different car.

Also, now I can see the road ahead with all the other 4WDs in Sydney. This alone was a key reason to get this car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #246949 30th Dec 2014 8:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123