Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Tips for improving MPG
What's the single most important factor for MPG?
Choice of fuel
5%
 5%  [3]
Driving speed
78%
 78%  [44]
Chipped engine
1%
 1%  [1]
Tire pressure
8%
 8%  [5]
Vehicle loading
5%
 5%  [3]
Total Votes: 56

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
woodspiral

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
Tips for improving MPG

Hi,

I've been driving my new FL2 now for about a year, and have picked up some tips for improving the MPG rate. I get around 42 MPG with a mixture of short local runs and long motorway runs. The best I had was 48 MPG after a long journey back from the Lake District. Here is what I do:

- Speed: set the cruise control to 55mph on motorways and dual carriageways. Yes it takes about a quarter of the time longer to get to the destination, but it's so much more relaxed and because you are about the slowest vehicle on the road, you virtually never have to overtake, so it's just cruising along. Listen to music/audio books and arrive relaxed with more money in your pocket! Think of the green impact as well - less pollution as you have just done the journey by burning less fuel.

- Tire pressure: When I bought the vehicle I noticed that the tire pressure was around 37 psi (from the factory), but the manual said 32, I have subsequently put this up to 39 and found that it boosts MPG quite significantly vs 32. I think 37/39 is the kind of level for a heavily loaded vehicle, so it's safe. I tried what the manual said, 32, and found the car control sloppy and the MPG dived.

- Miller's Oils: A drop of this stuff in the tank definitely helps and is kind to the engine. Works out less than a pound per go, so I think it's worth it. Haven't quantified exactly how much of an effect it has, but it is noticeable.

- Higher-grade diesel: still experimenting with this. I'm not entirely convinced that this has any effect. Perhaps because I'm also using Miller's Oils. I keep a table of fuel usage and purchases, so at some point will analyse that to find out if the higher grade makes a difference.

- Keeping the boot empty: I'm not so good with this, but have tried. I'm a bit of a boy scout to be honest and carry everything I think I will ever need.

- Aircon: I generally switch this off, except on stinking hot days. I haven't noticed it makes much of a difference TBH.

- Freewheeling - I only bother to do this on really long downhill stretches, generally on motorways. I don't take it out of gear - I just clutch down - oddly pressing down on the clutch has more of an effect than going into neutral. Someone familiar with the gearbox design might be able to say why.

- Chipping: I have not chipped mine. I looked into it, and as I'm on a PCP plan, I may swap out the vehicle in a few years for a newer one (with better MPG Smile ) so I'm not sure it's worth it. I did some back-of-the-envelope maths and it would take at least 2 or 3 years to pay back (if the claims were true about the MPG increase). I'm also concerned about voiding my warranty and the servicing with the local landrover centre. Does anyone have any opinions about that?

- Instant MPG or Average MPG displayed on the trip. If I do this, I'm more conscious of the fuel I'm using.

- >1 hour journeys. Curious but the economy of the engine really only kicks-in 60-90 mins after running. It's takes the engine that long it seems, to properly heat up to become efficient. Does anyone know why?

- Avoiding country roads. I will now prefer A roads and dual carriage ways over small country roads - slowing down is the enemy of MPG!

You may wonder why on earth I bought a FL2 if I'm so seemingly obsessed with fuel economy; why didn't I just buy a Prius? Well, I considered that, but primarily I need my car to get to work and go to my workshop - work can take me through a flood plain where I live so I wanted the comfortable wading depth, and my workshop is on a dairy farm - think mud, mud and more mud!

If anyone has any other tips to spare on MPG, I'd be keen to hear them. Please reply and respond to the poll.

Best wishes,
Woodspiral.

Post #223106 26th Apr 2014 11:23 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Empty the boot - oops, lots of my journeys are 15 minutes to the golf club so it's regularly full
Keep off country roads - oops, I live in Cornwall and have to drive up a steep hill every time I leave home
Cruise control - oops, can't remember when I last used it
Freewheeling - oops, mine's an auto
Instant MPG readout - oops, doesn't have one
1-hour journeys - oops, most of mine are well under that
Air-con - oops, I've got it, I like it, I use it!

So I've got no chance really!

Mind you, I do use 2-stroke oil as an alternative to Millers and it definitely makes the engine quieter. I'm not so sure about the higher tyre pressures from a safety/longevity angle - what do others think?

I regularly get just under 30mpg, increasing to 33 or thereabouts on longer runs. Living in Cornwall encourages short trips on country lanes with steep hills, tight bends and frequent stops. I'm a hopeless case really. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #223108 26th Apr 2014 11:41 am
ad210358

England 

Light right foot Thumbs Up

Post #223109 26th Apr 2014 12:03 pm
woodspiral

Yes, definitely, forgot to mention that one explicitly. That definitely helps too. I went from driving a petrol engine to my FL2 and had a few months of adjusting to the diesel-style of acceleration.

Post #223110 26th Apr 2014 12:05 pm
EYorkshire

Sorry, but that would take any pleasure out of driving my car, sod the MPG I don't want to be consciously alert to saving a bob or two on my journey's, I just want to drive it.

But it's yours so best of luck in improving it Thumbs Up

Post #223111 26th Apr 2014 12:09 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Woody, be so good as to update your profile with your model and year - then we can really compare. Thumbs Up 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #223116 26th Apr 2014 12:35 pm
woodspiral

I've updated my profile.

Post #223122 26th Apr 2014 2:16 pm
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This is one subject that gets my goat I am sorry to say, People buy 4x4's or cars with big engines knowing there not the best on fuel then moan about it and how to get the best out of it.

If you want something that will take you to the moon and back on a cup of fuel buy a supper mini or a hybrid not the likes of a Landy.

Sorry if it seems a rant but so many in work etc say of I have just bought and X5 for example then 3 months later I am selling it it eats fuel its crap etc ............ its not, it is what it is and they knew that when they bought it. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #223124 26th Apr 2014 2:19 pm
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Fl2Voodoo + 1 Thumbs Up

Post #223127 26th Apr 2014 2:44 pm
Luggs

Wales 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

who's moaning? Never tell me the odds.

Post #223128 26th Apr 2014 2:55 pm
EYorkshire

Luggs +1 Thumbs Up

While I posted that I have no need or inclination to save fuel, the OP is not moaning and best of luck to him if that is what he wants and for passing on any tips for anyone else interested. Smile

Post #223129 26th Apr 2014 3:12 pm
LOLER

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

It all depends what mood I am in. Sometimes just lazing along and other days foot to the floor

Chris

Post #223135 26th Apr 2014 3:57 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Sometime I dabble to see what improvements in mpg can be made..just out of curiosity really. Then put my foot down again.

I never use cruise control..but would like a speed limiter.
I have an auto
I leave the climate control on all the time

The fuel costs of the Freelander are a tiny tiny fraction of the whole life cost of a Freelander from new I really can't be that bothered and enjoy spending the money with such a fabulous car

Post #223136 26th Apr 2014 4:19 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Freewheeling with the clutch down is going to put strain on the clutch release mechanism.
I always thought that a modern engine on a closed throttle in gear using previously gained momentum used no fuel. Okay on a flat road you'll lose speed but in a sufficiently high gear on a hill the fl2's weight will keep it at constant speed.

Post #223137 26th Apr 2014 4:24 pm
woodspiral

FL2Voodoo wrote:
This is one subject that gets my goat I am sorry to say, People buy 4x4's or cars with big engines knowing there not the best on fuel then moan about it and how to get the best out of it.

If you want something that will take you to the moon and back on a cup of fuel buy a supper mini or a hybrid not the likes of a Landy.

Sorry if it seems a rant but so many in work etc say of I have just bought and X5 for example then 3 months later I am selling it it eats fuel its crap etc ............ its not, it is what it is and they knew that when they bought it.

I'm not moaning at all. I'm delighted with my FL2, at the end of my post I gave the reasons I bought a FL2 instead of something like a Prius. I'm generally happy with around 42 MPG. One day LR might bring out hybrid model and I'm sure it would be of interest to a lot of drivers.

Post #223138 26th Apr 2014 4:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>