Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Sat Nav Clock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

landy19840 wrote:
Mine works well, you can choose from 3 routes. Never had any issues!

But then you wouldnt, living on the moon Laughing

biggest groan I have is the price to keep it updated - whould have thought with the initial price being so high it would be possible to download a cheap update from a website when new versions became available. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #110854 22nd Aug 2011 6:11 pm
swanny72

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Interestingly on the way back from the family hols in Somerset the unit kept trying to take me off the M4 and go through the back roads, but to top it all off tried to take me off the M4 round the roundabout at the bottom of the slip and then back on the M4 to continue heading towards London which I had already been doing, guess it thought the little trip off the motorway would have been quicker !!! Ignored it in the end as I thankfully new where I was going. On the way there no problems got us straight to where we wanted to be, athough rather than using postcodes I get the coordinates of google earth and this seems to work very well indeed. 2007 ( 57 ) TD4 SE Auto, Samatra Black, Leather interior, Xenon Headlights, No Privacy Glass yet though.

Post #111071 24th Aug 2011 7:49 pm
mjn51

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

The satnavs will give you thre options :-
Shortest, Cheapest and fastest routes.
It's upto you to choose the one you want.
Some brands are more discerning than others if you miss a turn. The L/r option tries to get you back onto the route it had planned for you, until it gives up and finds another route, whereas the garmin option re-calculates the route straight away.
I've had both in the car at the same time and if both set to the same "type" of route found not much difference.
At the end of the day , you, the driver should have some clue as to where you are going and can make up your own mind at times, as when following the shortest route takes you through the town centre and you see the there is a bypass then take the bypass !.
M.

Post #111106 25th Aug 2011 10:30 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Executive Valeter wrote:
The whole design of that could be put to far better use than just Sat-Nav. They should follow Audi's format & use the screen for a hundred & one uses!!

Like ordering your shopping on line Cool

Post #111928 2nd Sep 2011 8:35 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Is there a way to know your speed (calculated via GPS) and shown of nav screen ?

Post #155334 21st Sep 2012 2:21 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Sat Nav is also reliant on what preferences you have selected in the settings. For example disabling motorways or toll roads will obviously divert you. It might be worth having a look at what you have selected. I just did 1200 miles in a week around Dorset and had no problems with it. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #155341 21st Sep 2012 3:34 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I've noticed that the inbuilt satnav always takes the easy, main road route and avoids towns and rural roads. My Garmin Quest (not used much now) has a choice of fastest or shortest and I'm quite happy to take to the lanes. At the least the LR one should evntually learn "my routes" when I ignore it. Before anyone asks, yes I have turned of the "easy" option which avoids right turns and the like!

I think this is all because people followed SatNav slavishly in the past and have got into trouble on small roads, steep hills, etc so the programmers have gone like the weather foreasters, all conservative! I've usually preplanned my main route with a mapbook or Googlemaps. In any case, you can see on the screen where you want to be and where the route goes and make you own mind up if you don't want to follow the guidance. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #173278 26th Feb 2013 2:00 pm
english yeoman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

simont wrote:
Used my dad's TomTom on a drive from a castle 3 miles south of Edinburgh to Sunderland.

It refused to let me drive North the 3 miles to hit the A1 to head south - instead it wanted me to go down a 'B' road heading towards the snow topped hills.

When I refused and got onto the A1 heading south it kept saying "take the next left turn" etc etc etc

I didn't and just followed the A1/A19 home.

That car just didn't want to go to Sunderland. And you can't blame it for that.

Post #201893 4th Oct 2013 11:30 am
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

npinks wrote:
I just set the screensaver to the clock, then i can press the button on the screen, if I want to
How ?

T

EDIT - Ignore - was thinking as in Automatically rather than pressing the screen every time.... Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #201899 4th Oct 2013 1:05 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Though it came as part of the package, the satnav is the biggest let down of the car, won't supply speed (very handy on the continent) it prefers to take you through the centre of towns (Certainly in France) You definitely need a map as you have no confidence it will not take you miles out of the way unless you scroll through the route to check it is not doing silly things near any towns on the route. When travelling from Hull ferry port to home none of the route choices took me via the A66 the most direct. The town search failed to find any non major town if more than 60 miles away, so had to continually find the town by searching by map. The POI search also leaves a lot to be desired, hopefully the dealership search works but I wouldn't warrant it picks the nearest or the best route. To be honest it is the worst system I have come across, assuming it is a system, LR should have chosen a proper media system like a Kenwood or Clarion. In 2012 a disc driven 3 disc mapping is from the stone age, My Kenwood had all the mapping on one disc that downloaded then ejected leaving the slot available for media. I have considerable doubts it is a satellite navigator, more I can tell you where you are device, as a satnav it is not fit for purpose. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #201905 4th Oct 2013 2:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12