No - I am not using 2 Stroke oil
51%
 51%  [74]
Total Votes: 145

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 62 of 93 <123 ... 616263 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

I have just edited my post as I mistakenly wrote 'lubrication' instead off 'cleaning', it is this that is proven not lubrication.
Who knows, if it helps keep clean the EGR valve, cylinders etc then Thumbs Up

Post #174840 10th Mar 2013 12:48 pm
taztastic

England 

There are millions of diesel cars worldwide using far inferior fuels to ours and doing colossal mileages without using these additives.
For me it's a solution to a problem that was never there, created by a marketing department somewhere no doubt to shift product. Just my tuppenth of course.

No I don't have proof but maybe I am just too cynical to accept that somewhere there isn't some clever marketing going on.

Post #174844 10th Mar 2013 12:59 pm
EYorkshire

I'm not sure, I have always had an open mind and its well known that 'diesel clatter' is the noise of combustion, so if you can raise the cetane number then maybe the burning is more efficient.

Some have reported a quieter combustion whereas I 'think' mine is quieter.

I will carry on trialling it and form my own opinion, so far I'm just not sure on it.

Post #174846 10th Mar 2013 1:04 pm
taztastic

England 

It's cleaning properties are certainly impressive, there is no doubt about that, OG's pictures were proof of that.
I think many people are missing the point with this stuff though and simply spending money on it for the sake of it.
Yes it cleans , no it doesn't lubricate so in my view when something wears to a point it breaks, it simply means the mechanic will have a cleaner job changing the worn component?

Post #174848 10th Mar 2013 1:12 pm
EYorkshire

But the bits like the EGR valve sticking or the variable vanes on the turbo sticking (that has been documented) and probably more, it may have a beneficial part to play in keeping these bits working longer and efficiently long before they wear out.

Opinions on this will vary forever and to get my inquisitiveness on this out of my system, I have to try it Smile

Post #174850 10th Mar 2013 1:19 pm
taztastic

England 

I have an old '68 2.8 petrol engine that is a pig unless it gets a long fast run,wish it would work in that.

Post #174853 10th Mar 2013 1:26 pm
Ben Twillie

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I ran my SD4 for the first year on BP Ultimate. MPG slowly improved as the engine bedded in but it was expensive. So, for the second year I have used supermarket fuel with TSO. Absolutely no difference in MPG but a lot quieter, and that is the opinion of friends and family as well as me. I do loads of short journeys but I have had no DPF issues, which I can't attribute to using TSO, but nevertheless that is the case. The interesting thing for me is that at the same time as staring to use TSO in the SD4, my wife bought a Mercedes E320 CDI from a friend. It had done 59K and I knew the service history. Although there was nothing wrong with it, it took about 2 or 3 secs of cranking to start, blew white smoke out the back when it fired up and black smoke when pulling away from lights or accelerating hard. Also, it was returning about 40 MPG on a long run and 35 running around. Within two months of using TSO it was starting almost immediately with no white smoke, no black smoke on acceleration and is now returning 43 MPG on a long run and 37 locally, and, as usual it is much quieter. Also the exhaust pipes, which were a sooty black, are now a dark grey.

No commercial proof will ever be published that defines the benefits of using TSO for the obvious reasons mentioned many times in this thread, but I am seeing real benefits in my wife's car and am hoping that it will protect my much younger car. For us owners who do intend to keep the car for a long time then I can see the sense in using it, but I would probably never have bothered to use it in my company motor or if I intended to change every few years.

Post #174936 10th Mar 2013 8:25 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Good to hear you feel it is worthwhile EY. I have put it in mine since I got it, so never really noticed any difference with this one. My old one was 3 years old when I got it and started using it after reading the right up here some months later. I noticed the difference in exhaust smoke very soon, the smoother acceleration and the quieter engine. The smoke emission test at mot also got better.

Post #174941 10th Mar 2013 8:36 pm
dr. tom

Germany 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The remark of taztastic, that 2-t oil will not lubricate, if added to diesel fuel in the recommended dosis, cannot be left without protest!
2-t oil has been developed to lubricate engines without own oil supply/reservoire, such as all common 2- stroke engines.
The lubricating properties of diesel are measured by the HFRR value (high frequency reciprocating rigg) and the DIN norm EN 590 demands a minimum value of 460 um (the lower the HFRR value, the better the lubrication).
2-t oil has a HFRR value of 290 um, and if added to diesel fuel, it WILL increase the lubrication properties of diesel.
Any ordinary oil- laboratory will confirm this.
Any other interpretation of this subject is nonsense and should not be relied on.

dr. tom

Post #176145 19th Mar 2013 10:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bambi68

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Taztastic, most countries with very poor diesel compared to ours still have a sulpher content of 50-500ppm we now have 5ppm, it is this that lubricates the valves etc and give diesel that oily quality that is missing from our clean diesel,

By putting 2 stroke oil in you replace some of that lubrication effect so that your fuel system will be lubed , pump, injectors etc.

Mileage increases will be subjective , but the quieter running is there , it may also help to keep the dpf clean as well..

Post #178127 31st Mar 2013 12:35 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
2t

Last two times i have taken fuel on, i haven't added 2t oil. The only reason, is that i forgot to fill my bottle which lives in the door pocket. There will be no residual 2T in the tank now, and the cold diesel clatter is considerably worse than when it has some. I won't be forgetting to put oil in the bottle, for the next fill. Sad

Post #178524 2nd Apr 2013 8:55 pm
issus

United Kingdom 

hope so Up the Cobblers

Post #178609 3rd Apr 2013 1:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
issus

United Kingdom 

Deuteronomiser wrote:
Hold on I'll tell the wife to put it in my tea. All in the name of science of course... Sheep

she already does! Up the Cobblers

Post #178611 3rd Apr 2013 1:39 pm
andyk79

Hungary 

Hello Everyone!

Need somebody to explain this.
Two types of 2So from same factory. One is JASO-FB another JASO-FC.

How I understood FC is the sophisticated one with higher detergency and lower exhaust smoke. I thought that one should have lower ash content.

But in specification, sulphated ash content is higher for FC type. The ash content for FB is 0.04% and for FC it is 0.14%.

Here is the link for both of them:
http://www.nisotec.rs/en/product/371/nisotec-2t
http://www.nisotec.rs/en/product/374/nisotec-2t-scooter

Thx.

Post #178716 4th Apr 2013 2:40 pm
estoril

You guys might find this useful:

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

Post #178835 5th Apr 2013 11:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 62 of 93 <123 ... 616263 ... 919293>