Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Retro fit TOMTOM
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 24 <123 ... 789 ... 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

It is a really really simple job - are you sure? Otherwise, print off the instructions above, take it to any car mechanic and ask for a quote. Won't take more than half an hour.

Post #174277 5th Mar 2013 9:57 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Mine is starting to get wobbly again - maybe it's the cold. It seems to be getting slower at finding and locking on to the satellites. A couple of times it hasn't found them at all. Seems to wake up if I go into the tools section and click on satellite status.
It's due for an update so I think I'll do another factory reset. Not really complaining though. It's a cheap unit and mostly it's great.

Post #174278 5th Mar 2013 10:01 pm
aescott

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Past master wrote:
It is a really really simple job - are you sure? Otherwise, print off the instructions above, take it to any car mechanic and ask for a quote. Won't take more than half an hour.

I am generally cack-handed and the thought of destroying the interior of my car does not fill me with delight....Mind you, I would like to be a bit more savvy when it comes to cars.

Post #174279 5th Mar 2013 10:10 pm
bobupanddown

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Having read through this thread it inspired me to carry out the modification to my Freelander. Having given it a lot of thought I came up with another method of securing the Tom Tom using cable ties and hard plastic "foam". At the moment it is holding secure and I am hoping it does not loosen over time. Otherwise elastic instead of cable ties might be the way forward. The cable ties run through the two holes that were used to secure the cubby hole(now removed) and on the other side through the two slots that are no longer used.
For a picture please look in my gallery.

Last edited by bobupanddown on 10th Mar 2013 4:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #174889 10th Mar 2013 4:23 pm
taztastic

England 

That looks like it will stay put, it is a great mod, you will get the lifetime maps too, I bought mine a few days before the offer they are running Big Cry

Post #174892 10th Mar 2013 4:32 pm
bobupanddown

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Yes got the free lifetime maps on UK Ireland and Europe Thumbs Up

Post #174893 10th Mar 2013 4:37 pm
kitchener

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Its been 7 months since first carried out this mod and happy to say had no problems with TT . If anyone is carrying out this install I would recommend making a bracket to hold unit in place . It has held rock solid with no rattle or slippage. Not had prob with signal in East Midland area.

Only other customisation I did was add my car as the car symbol on the navigation screen.

Easy to do If you want to make your own it is a simple process

Locate a suitable image or take a photo of your own car. The best cursors are those that are viewed from the rear but slightly above the car rather than from directly behind.
The image size should be re-sized to 80 x 80 pixels.
TomTom automatically sets any part of the image that is red (RGB 255,000,000) to transparent
For optimum results a continuous 1 pixel white border should be added around the cursor.
The image should be saved as .bmp (bitmap).

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Post #175020 11th Mar 2013 2:16 pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

have to say this is the best modification I have ever done! Everyone whose been in my passenger just thinks it is an OEM fit. Even the dealer I talked to about part-X'ing the Freelander too thought it was OEM. Fortunately that fell through and we still have her. Looks like we will run her into the ground now over the next ten years Wink

Post #175470 13th Mar 2013 10:41 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Our other FL2 is a HSE so has factory SatNav - IMHO the TomTom I fitted in my XS is far and away better than the LR system

Post #175476 13th Mar 2013 11:03 pm
techauthorbob

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black

If I remember correctly you can replace the screen graphic used with Tom Tom satnavs, I did this on a friends one some time ago.

Going on hols tomorrow so will check method in two weeks if further info needed.

Bob

Post #175578 14th Mar 2013 7:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
taztastic

England 

You can replace the screen graphics, the Land Rover splash screens are in this thread, I have modified the shut down screen on mine too, it reads "Tracker Active" along the bottom, few have noticed it though.

Post #175612 14th Mar 2013 10:08 pm
mintydee

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Hi, I thought I would pass on my thoughts. Today, I fitted tom tom start 60 Europe to my fl2.
I followed all the advise in this thread. It has worked perfectly and took only 1 hour start to finish to install. ( I did my updates, prior to install). I used a piggy back fuse on F5, and have auto switching on and off with ignition. I put the USB connection into the glove box which enabled me to attach my laptop for the free lifetime map updates. I would re come d this fit to even a beginner, as this is the first time I have done any install to a car.

I couldn't be happier with this, and it was all down to the good advise and instructions posted on this forum.

Thanks to you all for the help. Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #175794 16th Mar 2013 4:57 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Downloaded a quickfix update for mine from the Tomtom site, and it now locks onto satellites again. Thought I'd mention in case anyone else gets the "searching for satellites" problem. I don't update mine too often, as it means taking the laptop out to the car, but maybe I need to do it a bit more frequently.

Post #176118 18th Mar 2013 10:19 pm
taztastic

England 

I take mine out quite regularly, there's a file called GPSFIX which it downloads, it contains corrected ephemeris data as to satellite positions so it can lock on more quickly.
The timing signal drifts as the earths rotation and satellite positions drift a little making devices hunt for the signal. Thumbs Up

I think that's how it works Whistle

Post #176130 18th Mar 2013 11:11 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Post #176202 19th Mar 2013 6:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 24 <123 ... 789 ... 222324>