Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Your snow driving wisdom.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

milky400 wrote:
someone posted to use HDC going up hill, so can HDC be used to ascend? and what does it do?

The point of HDC on an ascent is that it's there ready for when you fail and start slipping back down again!

Post #166818 10th Jan 2013 5:31 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Great common-sense tips from Thomas! Living in Kristiansand, you should know! Great colour choice for your Freelander too! Wink 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #166819 10th Jan 2013 5:32 pm
pab

tdithomas wrote:
Driving on worn out summer tires are stupid

There, yes. Here, less so. We can go a whole winter with no snow to speak of, so most people don't bother with winter tyres. Also, note that studded tyres are not only unavailable here - they're illegal, because they do too much damage to UK-spec roads. So even those with winter tyres are using non-studded types which will give less grip than yours.

So, sorry chaps, you can't do here what our Norwegian friends can do!

Post #166820 10th Jan 2013 5:36 pm
tdithomas

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Unnecessary quote removed

I still think it is stupid to drive on snow and ice with worn out summer tyres. So if you only have one set of useless tyres I would recomend three pints of IPA and let the car wait for better driving conditions Laughing

Post #166822 10th Jan 2013 5:46 pm
pab

Can't argue with that!

Post #166823 10th Jan 2013 5:52 pm
Ooma

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks for all the responses. Very useful.

it seems like with a bit of sensible driving, room in front, my winter tyres, snow mode, auto box as norm unless i use it slow down in command shift, and finally HDC for the tricky bits and I should be good to go.

Also seems like a car park, some space and time would be good too.

Thanks. Thumbs Up '08 Freelander 2 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Premium, Climate and Clear View packs.

Post #166824 10th Jan 2013 5:55 pm
Ooma

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Although, saying that.. a few pints of IPA at the pub sounds like the best advice yet.. Thumbs Up '08 Freelander 2 HSE in Stornoway Grey

Premium, Climate and Clear View packs.

Post #166825 10th Jan 2013 5:56 pm
bish789

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

As usual in these circumstances, you can have DSC, HDC, M&S setting, winter tyres etc. but if the idiots in worn summer tyres are blocking the road, then you're no different to everybody else even though you have an extremely capable vehicle.

Post #166834 10th Jan 2013 7:34 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

TR does more than adjust the throttle, it also adjusts the ABS so that whell locking is allowed a little more than in Normal so as to use a small wall of snow to build up in front of the tyre and slow the car down before lettinmg the wheel roll again, gravel does the same; letting the brakes off on first lock-up gives a longer stopping disstance.

In snow use GGS, HDC is not much help unless on a gradient. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #166855 10th Jan 2013 10:21 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

And don't forget HDC is not only switch on use, if you feel you are decending a hill too slowly or quickly with HDC engaged you can use the cruise control buttons to adjust the HDC action, don't be afraid to use this it is very good once you get used to it 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #166866 10th Jan 2013 11:55 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

pab wrote:
tdithomas wrote:
Driving on worn out summer tires are stupid

There, yes. Here, less so. We can go a whole winter with no snow to speak of, so most people don't bother with winter tyres. Also, note that studded tyres are not only unavailable here - they're illegal, because they do too much damage to UK-spec roads. So even those with winter tyres are using non-studded types which will give less grip than yours.

So, sorry chaps, you can't do here what our Norwegian friends can do!

A friend of mine, now living in Sweden, came over to visit the parents after Christmas and had to decide what to do with regard to tyres - either put his summer tyres on and be illegal in Sweden, driving to the ferry, then legal in England, Or leave his studded winter tyres on and be safe and legal in Norway but illegal in England. His choice, wisely in my opinion was the latter, as the first 200 miles of his journey was on packed ice roads and his families safety was most at risk on that stage of the journey. He never was questioned whilst in the UK but was prepared to speak swedish (fluently) from his swedish registered car, and argue the toss with any police who stopped him.
The studded tyres were remarkably civilised on dry tarmac!!!!! within limits, of course. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #167270 14th Jan 2013 3:51 pm
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

MartynB wrote:
And don't forget HDC is not only switch on use, if you feel you are decending a hill too slowly or quickly with HDC engaged you can use the cruise control buttons to adjust the HDC action, don't be afraid to use this it is very good once you get used to it

I have been out playing on some hills today, and I can't seem to increase or decrease speed using HDC. What am I doing wrong ?
1st gear, steep hill, GGS, HDC engaged and working, pressing CC button repeatedly and also tried pressing and holding - no speed increase. I know it should go up in very small increments but the speedo and I am sure there is no speed increase Confused
I'm sure it's a PICNIC error (problem in chair not in car) ...any thoughts ? _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #167274 14th Jan 2013 4:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

theres only a small amount of difference between the slowest and fastest HDC speed, maybe the hills not long enough

I was shown, start off at top of hill, press brake pedal to precharge the brake cylinder, make sure HDC is on press cruise control down speed button a few times and go over the edge, if your wanting to desend fast then press + a few times Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #167276 14th Jan 2013 4:28 pm
pab

nicam wrote:

A friend of mine, now living in Sweden, came over to visit the parents after Christmas and had to decide what to do with regard to tyres ...

I'd have made the same choice - he'd be very unlucky to come across anyone who actually noticed, and one car with studded tyres isn't going to destroy the roads.

A British driver on studs would be a different matter, as his insurance would be invalidated and in case of an accident they probably wouldn't pay out.

Quote:
The studded tyres were remarkably civilised on dry tarmac!!!!! within limits, of course.

Yep, they have to be - it doesn't snow all the time even in Sweden. Very Happy

They're pretty noisy on the cobbled streets of Helsinki when there's no snow around though!

Post #167278 14th Jan 2013 4:35 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Difference between normal and minimum HDC speed is between 2 and 3 mph. depending on whether it's a manual or automatic. Each press of the cruise control button alters the speed by 0.3mph.

Post #167281 14th Jan 2013 4:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>