« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Whats wrong with my 07 FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ImmortalFL2

2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Barolo Black
Whats wrong with my 07 FL2

Hi all, long time reader but dont post very often.

Lately my FL2 has been playing up. First the alarm would set itself off now and then when the car was locked but no1 was near it or nothing being pressed on the fob, lately getting more often.

Then the DSC would come up on the dash and say it was disabled or something, would turn the car off and start it again and would be fine.

Now just on a recent trip the car started surging/miss firing around 2500pm on the highway felt like the gearbox struggling to change gear, would get to 2500rpm and just surge and not change gear so figured it was gearbox or clutch. Coasted to a fuel station without accelerating past 2500rpm and started it up and once again back to normal would drive fine.

Now just today driving along and all the lights come up on the dash, speedo and rpm etc went to 0 even though car was driving ok, come up with like the diagnostic message when you first start the car. Dash and indicators died although the car would still start/lock/unlock/drive fine, just nothing would respond on the dash.

Radio worked, lights worked, but no indicators or dash working. Had RACQ out and they checked fuses and said that was about they could do so its off to the dealer on Monday. I disconnected the battery, reconnected it after 10 minutes to reset the ecu and the dash and everything was working fine again. Took it for a drive for 5 minutes and just as I came home it come up "Transmission error" for a second then went away with no error log or "i" message on the dash.

The only thing thats changed recently was I had a towbar installed (non dealer, but reputable mob) back about 3 months ago - they said they had to install new ecu for the towbar and im guessing thats whats playing up. Either the new ecu, or some piggyback unit they installed for it. If it was just the transmission busted I dont see why the dash and lights would be cutting out so it leads me to believe its either the ecu or maybe a bad earth/ground on the towbar wiring install?

Has anyone got any ideas on what it could be from the symptoms? im guessing its the towbar install. If I wasnt 5 hours from home I wouldnt be too bothered but getting this sorted in 2 business days before I go home is going to be a headache and cant risk driving it that far with the way its playing up. Is there any way I could just disconnect the towbar install from the ECU somehow to test thats not whats causing all the problems? have no idea where the ecu even is in this thing

Post #166020 4th Jan 2013 12:19 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Almost certainly related to the towbar installation. When you fit a towbar, even a LR one, the Dealer has to programme the car to tell it, it now has a towbar fitted. I suspect the people fitting your towbar have not completed the procedure correctly, hence the fact they changed the ECU, which isn't necessary with a LR approved towbar.

Post #166022 4th Jan 2013 12:31 pm
ImmortalFL2

Thanks for that info, would explain why there's no trailer light that comes up on the dash when the electrics are plugged in, and why the reverse sensors don't disable while in reverse with the trailer on like I've read was supposed to happen

Well, hopefully it's just a quick case of telling the car there's a towbar now, worst case maybe replacing some of the wiring for it

Thanks again

Post #166026 4th Jan 2013 1:01 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I would agree with last post, also maybe the towbar people have not re-tightened an earth strap/connection properly somewhere, and it now is working it's way loose ?

Iain

Post #166033 4th Jan 2013 3:49 pm
ImmortalFL2

Definitely playing up like its a bad earth. Car was fine for about 3 months so its probably in the time frame for something to come loose.

Never delt with a dealer before, wondering if I should just try get a auto elec to check the towbar electrics or just leave it till monday and let the dealer sort it and least change it so the car knows it has a towbar, good chance of getting some stupid $ bill from the dealer though.

Post #166136 5th Jan 2013 1:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1