Home > General > Newbie looking to buy!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Old Timer

United Kingdom 
Newbie looking to buy!

Hello All
Have been lurking round this site for a while now and just registered. I am thinking of ordering a FL2 TD4 HSE Auto, now all you guys have had yours for a while are there any issues I should look out for?
I’ve heard that the Sat Nav is not very good, is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated. To escape criticism -- do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Post #15538 11th Mar 2008 7:11 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

What can I say? I have had mine for two months now, and I am very happy.
Have had a few minor faults, but nothing to scare me away.

If other SAT Nav's are better I dont know, but it works. Finds its way.

What other alternatives are there in this segment? X3? Forget it. Uncomfortable ride.
Others hasn't come on the market yet.

Try it, drive it, see if you like it.

Any particular questions you would like to have answered? 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #15541 11th Mar 2008 7:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Welcome Old Timer Very Happy

I don't think you could go wrong with a Auto HSE

Yes! the car has had a few niggles and things, but i don't beleive they are anymore that any other manufacturer,

I don't understand why some don't like the SATNAV, I had a Navman portable one prior to the FL2 and that was ok, but wasn't the best at inputing the address, i find the FL2's fine at adding address (Full Post Code) or address with house number which is quite precise. I do find the "Drive Safe & Agree" message each time I switch it on annoying but that the American Safety Lawyers for you Exclamation

As said previously, ask any questions you might want answering, how ever bizarre you might think they are and we'll do our best to answer Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #15548 11th Mar 2008 8:31 pm
edh

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Hi Old Timer
I can't offer you any advice yet - but over the next couple of weeks I'll be well placed to comment on a new HSE manual (not auto) as I pick my new baby up tomorrow morning. Having been used to a TomTom 910 it will be interesting to compare it with the LR sat nav as the TomTom is widely accepted as the best sat nav on the market. Watch this space and I'll keep you posted. Thumbs Up

Post #15550 11th Mar 2008 8:50 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Hi cannot comment on the rarified atmosphere of a HSE but I can tell you my SE has all I could want plus some. Emily will get to 1st service without need to visit dealer (15000miles). The SAT NAV is fine especially its ability to to work off road, sometimes it amazes- it guided me up the correct lanes to get out of the Tesco car park at Kettering. Go for a test drive and step out of the car with a wide smile still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #15560 11th Mar 2008 10:02 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

Coming from a TomTom, I did find it a little bit less user friendly and less intuitive (ie pick up and use without reading the manual Smile ). Suppose its just what you are use to. It's fine for what is.
Best bet is to test drive, I was amazed at the refinement.
As for niggles, only time will tell but I've not had any yet. Phil

Post #15562 11th Mar 2008 10:22 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
try it

I agree with some others that the LR Sat Nav is not as intuitive as I would have liked. But after just a few practice runs and the odd frustrating moment, I'm fine with all it's main functions now. It has some great features which are very useful, and a host of others that I suspect many will never get round to using. On the plus side you do get a great big touch screen, and it would be tough to steal!

My advice would be to take the HSE (& the Sat Nav) for a good long test drive, then buy it when you find you love it ..... as you will!!!
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #15576 12th Mar 2008 12:08 am
Lookers Park Royal

Old Timer,

You're only a few miles up the A40/M40, so you're more than welcome to come in and we'll show you the features? In my opinion it is a slightly better system that the NAV on Disco, RRS and RR.

The invites, there so just give one of the guys a call, but mention you are a forum member!!!

James Thumbs Up

Last edited by Lookers Park Royal on 12th Mar 2008 1:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #15589 12th Mar 2008 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Charles Hurst Park Royal wrote:
Old Timer,

You're only a few miles up the A40/M40, so you're more than welcome to come in and we'll show you the features? In my opinion it is a slightly better system that the NAV on Dico, RRS and RR.

The invites, there so just give one of the guys a call, but mention you are a forum member!!!

James Thumbs Up

I dont think you will sell many "dicos" better rename them

Post #15601 12th Mar 2008 12:22 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As I have just sold my 3rd Porsche, each one had the inbuilt SatNav called PCM, I can tell you that the one with the Freelander is a lot better than the one supplied by Porsche! And Porsche's PCM costs £2500 as an extra! Thats about 10 x TomTom's worth!

I wouldn't say the the one with the FL2 is intuitive. I spent all day yesterday on business, gadding about the country in a borrowed LR2 whilst mine is being prepp'd for delivery - Reading to Macclesfiled, Macclesfield to Buxton (to do the Cat and Fiddle as I have never done that road), and then Buxton to Anglesey (Beaumaris), where I am here on business before returning to Reading area tomorrow afternoon. All those journeys were using the SatNav for the first time for me. I got the hang of it in the end, although it did take a bit of working out. I could have used RTFM of course ....... Impressions are that it has some good features, but a TomTom is better IMHO. However, I do like it all integrated ito the dash in all my cars.

One issue that is irritating is that the sun washes out the screen very easily. The left hand part of the screen is also quite a glance away and difficult to read - which is where all the menus are! I am surprised that the screen did not have a hood cover over the top so as to shade the screen more. They could have extended the dash in this area. Slap wrist LandRover. Chris

Post #15607 12th Mar 2008 1:04 pm
Lookers Park Royal

Amended CG! Thumbs Up

Post #15610 12th Mar 2008 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
superkoala

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Rimini Red

Quote:
The left hand part of the screen is also quite a glance away and difficult to read - which is where all the menus are!

that's one of the reasons we use lefthanddrive overhere on the continent Mr. Green 

Post #15615 12th Mar 2008 2:50 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I can make you a sun screen out of an old belt! Laughing

Post #15619 12th Mar 2008 3:08 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Having also come from a TomTom, there are a few pros and cons of the in-built system.

Main con is that you can't bulk upload a POI file (speed cameras for example)!

Main pro is the integration with the phone and also the rest of the car - for example if you run low on fuel, then the system automatically puts the petrol stations onto the display.

I agree with the brightness control - it needs to be brighter in the day and dimmer at night!

Post #15621 12th Mar 2008 3:14 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
I can make you a sun screen out of an old belt! Laughing

Errrm ... I'll pass on that one thanks . Laughing Chris

Post #15625 12th Mar 2008 3:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>