Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > DPF removal kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I don't normally disagree with you CG, but I will this time. Mine's caused me no bother in nearly 38,000 miles and as for the problems caused by diesel particulates, let's keep it in the realm of fact, rather than opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_particles#Health_effects

Post #145945 16th Jun 2012 5:57 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

More facts, and a balanced assessment, at http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/06june/Pages/w...nogen.aspx

Post #145953 16th Jun 2012 6:32 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

fact is that many owners are having dpf problems. you do high mileages so yours should regenerate ok, low mileage and urban cars are suffering problems.

Seems the answer is for such owners to buy petrol cars instead. DPF's will no doubt improve over time but right now they are hardly fit for purpose. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #145960 16th Jun 2012 7:06 pm
ad210358

England 

We do about 12k a year and as of yet we have not had a bit of trouble with the DPF, I seem to notice that many of the members on here that have had DPF problems with since they were released in the UK are within a few days of them coming out of the showroom and seem to be down to software and or sensors.

Post #145964 16th Jun 2012 7:37 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
In all this talk of removing the DPF, can we just remember what a vital job it does in keeping really nasty diesel particulates from entering the atmosphere?

A piece of tech to help get through emissions legislation? Really good...they make a car heavier, less efficient as the car can't expel gas as effectively, expensive, use rare heavy (very damaging to mine) materials just to simply catch the slight puff of smoke you occasionally get from diesels and dump it on the motorway? So it doesn't stop them getting in the atmosphere, it just re-incinerates the smoke and puts it into the atmosphere in finer particles (potentially more harmful to humans) when the car is doing a lot of revs?

They do nothing good, unless making your car less responsive, more expensive, less economical and more of a target the thieves (costs about 1k to buy) is what you think makes a good car! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #145969 16th Jun 2012 8:36 pm
ratbone

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I have to agree with Big Dave, the EU guys think they go green by putting a DPF on diesel car.
It is just like in the beginnig of 1900's when industry just builded high pipes and thought the contamination would disapear in the sky, end of pipe solution.
I have a HawkEye Diagnostic Tool, that have saved me lot of money and time, cause when the "visit dealer" sign comes up you have to go to a dealer or LR shop for reseting the DPF fault.
I think i will change the oil and filter buy my self this time and use the castrol edge oil for DPF and get the newest software from LR before i remove the DPF.
Keep on the discution or tell me if someone have a solution on the DPF problem.

Post #145995 17th Jun 2012 9:32 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dave right they use resources to manufacture then choke the car to some extent. the next level will be adblue and a DPF. more complications and technical issues to be solved.

If you do get an adblue equipped car in the future dont park it up long term or the adblue dosing pumps will seize up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #145996 17th Jun 2012 11:02 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12