« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > DPF removal kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ratbone

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey
DPF removal kit

Does anyone knows where to buy a DPF removal kit on the internet ?
I'm using my freelander 2 in the wood and terrain so the DPF filter are showing "DPF full" all the time.
I have seen a pipe on

http://eshop.superracetuning.eu/store/dpf-...anguage=en

Have any one tried this ?
The sensor have to think they have the right pressure, maybe there is a narrowing inside the pipe that building up the right pressure ?

Post #145749 14th Jun 2012 8:12 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I have not had it done and my FL2 does not have one! Very Happy However, my wife's Peugeot does have one and should it ever give trouble it will be removed. I looked at this company's website:-

http://www.longlife.co.uk/products/diesel-particulate-filters/

Reading the blurb it seems that that they change the software to convince the car it does not have a DPF. It is also interesting to read what they say about the new MOT regs in relation to DPFs and Cats. Basically, on a diesel you don't need to have either in place to pass the MOT. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #145770 15th Jun 2012 9:56 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can I just warn people that this isn't a simple a job as it sounds...much more difficult than a simple remap and take the DPF off. You need to go to someone who has a proven track record of removing them. For example, the VW engine in my Leon has a DPF, and only 2 companies in the UK have been able to successfully remove it without problem to my knowledge. It's the main reason it's still on my vehicle even though the economy and power would increase massively if it was taken off. The coding for the parameters on the different levels of regen etc is so difficult to crack that one tuner has told me 'the only people that can crack this have to be so clever they would be using their knowledge to work underground in much more profitable areas of work' (bank robbery's) You have ben warned! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #145778 15th Jun 2012 11:11 am
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

I dared remove the DPF from my FL2 one year ago after endless trobules and unwillingness on the part of JLR to recognise it as a recurrent problem. I did it with the help of a DPF-emulator kit produced by an Italian company and DPF-replacement pipe. But it did not went without problems. I would like to emphasize that unprofessional fiddling with DPF would not produce the desired result but bring about new fault messages and 'reduced engine performance' mode, because you have to cheat the ECU not only with regard to pressure difference but also milage limitation (the ECU demands a DPF-regeneration approx. every 850 km driven) and the number of 'cold-engine' starts done. After removal of DPF error-messages popped up regularly. Nevertheless the car didn't go into the limp mode. Presently the recurrence of fault messages went done considerably and I am happy that I succedded in removing this piece of s Censored t. The pecularity of this DPF-Emulator-Kit was that, upon installing it the garage had to do 'new DPF fitting' procedure through OBDII port with a JLR-tester. The same procedure is needed if you disconnect the car battery. I had also no problems to pass the MOT without DPF. The costs: DPF-Emulator-Box around 550 Euros, replacement pipe 300, installation in a garage with JLR testter - also around 300 Euros.
http://powerking.it/tutti-i-prodotti/emula...dfp-pk43-3

Greetings from Riga Wink

atrix

Post #145780 15th Jun 2012 11:56 am
ratbone

Thanks for warnings, i understand that this is not a straight forward job.
But i can't understand Land Rover makes a car that can't operate in terrain more than 30 minutes.
Cause you have to be over 40 km/h and 2500 rpm, and that is difficult in a wood Smile.
I own a 2007 and the cars sold in UK was not fitted with DPF before 2010, is the solution to buy exhaust pipe from UK and program the ECU with UK data ?
Thanks for all input, i will be happy for any information about this DPF removal case.

Post #145814 15th Jun 2012 8:38 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

To get my hands on the ECU software designed for Freelanders without DPF that what I tried through several JLR service stations in Germany, but everywhere I had to walk out empty-handed. The reason was that JLR refuses to give the software to a garage for DPF-affected cars and would do so only for Freelanders originally built without DPF. In continental Europe, these were the first Freelanders produced in 2006 and If I am not mistaken in the beginning of 2007. I suppose that such attitude was caused by fear that by handing out the software JLR would implicitly acknowledge the problem of ill-constructed exhaust gas treatment system. Basically, the car meant to cross the continents as the JLR advertises gets stuck due to going into limp mode in the city or in off-road terrain, where you can't comply with the imposed silly DPF maintenance protocol, meaning, keeping the engine above 2500 rpm for 20 minutes without interruption. I don't even want to mention that ECO-mode driving / switching the gears up in accordance with display message, which was also one widely advertised feature is totally not compatible with DPF maintenance, because you have to swith into a higer gear long before 2500 Rpm, that are a minimum required to keep the DPF clean. The problem is aggravated by low outside temperatures due to the fact that the engine needs to reach a certain temperature before it can start a DPF regeneration. It does not bode well for countries having cold winters.
As far as I konw, recently, a DPF-software update bulletin has appeared for cars constantly having DPF-full problem. However, you have to ask for it and prove that you really have troubles with DPF running full.

Post #145821 15th Jun 2012 9:32 pm
ratbone

Thanks for good answer, can someone that have seen or done that new DPF technical bulletin confirm that it helps ?
I will contact LR monday and ask them about it.

Post #145834 15th Jun 2012 10:09 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

This has come up before.
a) The LR Experience people don't seem to have problems, although they drive mainly off road. I've been told by them that using premium quality diesel (and the correct oil, I imagine) helps.
b) Most of the problems reported here seem to come from the earlier export models. Since the DPF became standard in UK there seem to be fewer issues.
c) Diesel particulates are now officially carcinogenic. Expect ever-more stringent regulation in this area.

Post #145840 15th Jun 2012 10:21 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi i should tell you in the hand book how to maintain the dpf there is a device on the market witch plus into the diagnostic port on the car and forces a dpf re=gen its made by a company in the north of the uk dont know of anybody on here buying one but i think it cost approx £140 plus vat it may be a better option for you Thumbs Up as for the engine oil in your freelander its of low ash speck you must use this type of oil in your engine (dont use ordinary type engine oil for diesels as this will cause the dpf to block) as for fuel i use supermarket brand and do a 26 mile round trip to work on 30 mph roads and dont have any problems with the dpf blocking up and have you had the latest software up grade for the system hope this helps you Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #145854 16th Jun 2012 8:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ratbone

Hello again, i have read the handbook and the engine oil i use is what LR recomend, cause last time i used a LR workshop for oil changing.
The diesel i use is good quality and all other japanese and european car with DPF filter are using it and have no problem.
In terrain the speed is not often over 12 mph or 2500 mph, so the regenerating will not start.
I would like to see the LR Experience people overide the ECU when they are stuck on a bumpy and rocky road.
The issue is that the first generation DPF's are not good for terrain and slow driving, those DPF's that came on 2010 models are much better and designed for small trips and terrain.
A friend of me has a Suzuki Grand Vitara with DPF and drive only smal trips on 1 miles to job and stores, the engine have not time to go warm, there have never been a problem with the DPF, it's a 2010 model .
So i don't think it is a driver problem or oil problem.

Post #145861 16th Jun 2012 9:12 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

ratbone wrote:
The issue is that the first generation DPF's are not good for terrain and slow driving, those DPF's that came on 2010 models are much better and designed for small trips and terrain.

That is the point I made above. There is less of a problem in the UK as older models do not have DPF. It may be that a software update will help you.
Do not trust the Land Rover agent to put the correct oil in the car! What did they use? Oil must be C1 type, but Landrover did not specify this for earlier cars with DPF. See http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic11835.htm...cification

Post #145921 16th Jun 2012 2:52 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

LR Experience take you on the road before the off road part(all 4 I've been on they have) and that will be enough to burn the soot off in the DPF.

I said this as soon as they introduced the DPF. I wouldn't buy a new FL if it's going to be used in a lot of off road situations for a couple of years, at least until the engine and DPF is updated (possibly with the facelift FL due anytime now) Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #145927 16th Jun 2012 3:19 pm
bbjoca

Sweden 

Doesn't removing of the DPF warrant for a re-typing of the car in Norway? I am pretty sure it would do so in Sweden...
BTW - just for the balance Wink I have never had any problems with the DPF - touch wood - and I don't drive that many motorways... It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #145940 16th Jun 2012 5:33 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

In all this talk of removing the DPF, can we just remember what a vital job it does in keeping really nasty diesel particulates from entering the atmosphere?

Post #145941 16th Jun 2012 5:40 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

no its a stupid over-reactionary device, used before it is perfected..the end At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #145942 16th Jun 2012 5:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>