Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > best way to clean engine area.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
best way to clean engine area.

ive almost come to the end of the hunting season,...and dont see me going off road for the next 6 months,or so.ive done a far bit of off road work,...nothing to extreme,since novermber and the outside of the vehicle is still like new,no marks ect,as im a bit of a cleaning/detailing geek!!!but under the bonnet there are dirty water splashes all over the place,,ive cleaned off in the easy areas,but was thinking of having it steamed cleaned by a garage or some where.is this a good idea.? Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #132804 19th Feb 2012 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

personally I would never steam clean a modern engine bay ( although I am sure a lot will disagree )

there are too many electronics to take a chance.

I would use some diluted gunk and a paint brush.

Iain

Post #132807 19th Feb 2012 10:52 pm
chrisdeeming

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

steam cleaning is perfect if you have got a decent machine. Never pressure wash! I just use some degreasent on a sponge and then use an oily rag over the bay after. An oily rag goes a long way folks!

Post #132811 19th Feb 2012 11:16 pm
slimshooter

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

Dont steam clean just think of all the moderm electrics and sensors in there. Wipe mine round with polish and a cloth. (house hold polish)

Post #132818 20th Feb 2012 12:44 am
Ghyllie

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

as Chris says do not pressure wash but everything else should be OK after all it can go off road and wade through burns (TIC) so all should be protected.

Ghyllie oo! Shiney!

Post #132822 20th Feb 2012 8:11 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

why dont you ask your local dealer there advice about cleaning the engine bay thay should give you an idea Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #132824 20th Feb 2012 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

Differing views here! I mentioned this on the Off Roading thread as my under bonnet area still has some caked mud and all the plastics/resevoir bottles/inside of rad etc are badly water/mud stained. Bill suggested a careful pressure wash and I was going to get my local (cheap) Eastern European staffed valet place to do this with some plastic taped over any obvious electrics followed by a plastics polish of some sort, Is this the right approach??? JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #132969 20th Feb 2012 11:51 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I pressure wash ours, just using common sense as to where abouts to spray! Everything still works! Occassionally when you next start it the belt squeals very briefly but that's obviously just the belt being wet and slippy for a turn or 2.

When I was at BMW they steam clean, with high pressure cleaners, the entire engine bay of every car that has work done. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #133108 22nd Feb 2012 3:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i use Meguiers APC and a brush to clean mine (not very often though) and rinsed with a open hose or hose gun on a fine mist, obviously not going everywhere

Then once dried sprayed with Aerospace 303 Protectorant and left to dry for a few hours, then a quick wipe down and you'll have an engine bay looking like new, and SPF30 against the sun so it doesnt get suntanned when your stuck at the side of the road if its went wrong Laughing

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/30...at19.html#

Post #133110 22nd Feb 2012 3:36 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Steam cleaning and pressure washing is perfectly fine. Modern day engines although containing more electronic equipment are built with much higher IP ratings to withstand higher wet conditions.

I have my FL2 for over four and a half years and pressure washed the engine on several occasions and never had one issue. I have done the same on all my cars over the past 15 years without issue. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #133713 27th Feb 2012 7:51 pm
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I just use some mild degreaser on a warm engine, using a stiff brush where neccessary. Autoglym do a 'motorcycle engine cleaner' which is perfect and doesn't smell like Gunk Rolling Eyes Then I simply use my jetwash carefully, keeping the spray away from anything electrical and when I'm done take it out for a blast on a fast A road to dry everything off nicely. Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #133747 27th Feb 2012 11:25 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

When I clean engine bays & I did a Jag XF last week & a RRS recently I just have a hose on a fairly light flow with a trigger gun then have a truck wash (TFR) stray with detailing brushes. This keeps water to a minimum & you don't have high pressure water ingrssing in the wrong areas. Then dress with a silicone based dressing.

Whenever possible I don't do it on a warm engine though I can see the point re water drying out quicker but then so does the TFR then it stains! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #133755 27th Feb 2012 11:49 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

julytourist wrote:
Differing views here! I was going to get my local (cheap) Eastern European staffed valet place to do this with some plastic taped over any obvious electrics followed by a plastics polish of some sort, Is this the right approach??? JT

Shocked Shocked That's just about the worst place to go, they will pressure wash everything. I have heard on more than one occasion that people I have spoken to or known have taken a car into one of those places & asked for an interior clean - guess what they cleaned the seats & carpets with? Correct a pressure washer! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #133756 27th Feb 2012 11:56 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

The Valeter wrote:
julytourist wrote:
Differing views here! I was going to get my local (cheap) Eastern European staffed valet place to do this with some plastic taped over any obvious electrics followed by a plastics polish of some sort, Is this the right approach??? JT

Shocked Shocked That's just about the worst place to go, they will pressure wash everything. I have heard on more than one occasion that people I have spoken to or known have taken a car into one of those places & asked for an interior clean - guess what they cleaned the seats & carpets with? Correct a pressure washer!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Iain

Post #133775 28th Feb 2012 9:04 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

The Valeter wrote:
julytourist wrote:

Shocked Shocked That's just about the worst place to go, they will pressure wash everything. I have heard on more than one occasion that people I have spoken to or known have taken a car into one of those places & asked for an interior clean - guess what they cleaned the seats & carpets with? Correct a pressure washer!

Perhaps that was the only option to remove the stains Laughing 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #133778 28th Feb 2012 10:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1