« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remapped td4_e :Durham Remaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cjbullock

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
Remapped td4_e :Durham Remaps

Well after many months of debating, I took my car into Durham remaps, The service was excellent and i got all the answer to the many stupid questions I was asking and put my mind to rest quickly. I posted many times on here asking for advice and who to use, with this being my first remap thought I would go local just in case any thing went wrong.

After searching around I came across Durham remaps, wasent much on the internet about them but after speaking to Ian on the phone, I knew that he could be trusted with my baby.. I think its like anything in life you go with your gut felling, and I spoke to many companies before choosing Ian.

Well an hour of waiting and a couple of cups of tea, it was done, I was told to take it for a test drive and drive it like it was stolen ( I do not encourage fast driving) i wouldnt have thought an extra 30bhp would have made that much different, how wrong I was, the car was so much more responsive, all the gears just seemed tighter, and my main surprise was the higher gears 5th 6th, the car was picking up a lot quicker. after a test drive i went back and paid (£250 so bit cheaper than others) I was then told to keep driving it hard, shame was awful but still managed to thrash it a little,

I have only had the car mapped since friday, but have done 800 miles, so I think I am able to review, overall it is like driving a different car, every gear is better and I loved the car before but its just so much better,

I guess its how you drive the car, my girlfriend could not tell the difference but I guess going to the supermarket you are not going to feel the difference, the power is there when you need it,

Had such a good experience with the remap, I know it could have gone wrong, but I wish I would have had previous cars done the difference is just fantastic

Post #121834 29th Nov 2011 1:40 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

What was said/discussed about limiting the torque in the lower gears to protect the gearbox and clutch? if anything?? 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #121875 29th Nov 2011 7:07 pm
sparkybaz

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

the part i don't understand is "drive like its stolen"round town i don't go above 2000rpm,don't find the need.saying that i drove a mapped td4e and it was awesome,a total transformation

Post #121895 29th Nov 2011 8:48 pm
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

I've just fitted a Bluespark Tuning Module (transferred from my old FL1) and it really transforms the performance AND gives more MPG too Thumbs Up About £80 on eBay and 2 minutes to fit. Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #121917 29th Nov 2011 10:50 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

£80 tuning box Shocked

Post #121955 30th Nov 2011 11:08 am
cjbullock

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

Sparkybaz and as do I, I never thrash it.. thats why he told me too something todo with ECU resetting itself and if I set off listening to radio 4 and crushing at 30mph there would be no point in having paid the money because the remap would set its self to that, something to do with it setting to driving style for first 30+ miles

Simont, I asked about the clutch becasue of the SD4 only coming in auto I asked if I would need a heavy duty clutch I was told the one its got is fine.. as for torque in lower gears i did not ask, with it being a freel;ander 2 i have no intention to floor it in lower gears, something you would need to ask the guy that does them

It really is a different car, im 900 miles into the remaop now.. full is 39.8 up from 34.4 and like I said I did kill it for first 100 miles, but gone backl to normal driving now.. power is there if I want to over take.. and is a lot nicer up hills not changing down

Post #122003 30th Nov 2011 4:57 pm
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

I have had previous vehicles remapped & what a transformation even without going to extremes.

Wouldn't risk a remap on my 19 month-old both for fear of voiding the manufacturers (dealer inclusive) warranty and the insurance policy.

But ... for those so inclined, I believe the EU has a harmonisation of MOTs in the pipeline & one element will be to make remapping effectively illegal. Caught sight of this somewhere a short while ago & think they're aiming for 2013 if not 2012 ... so not long to go really.

Btw, remapping is riddled with conflicting arguments and viewpoints ... thorough homework & due diligence is essential!

Post #122395 4th Dec 2011 11:04 pm
taztastic

England 

Yes the EU is rearing its ugly head in respect of MOT harmonisation, some info can be read here....

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%...202010.pdf

Post #122397 4th Dec 2011 11:16 pm
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

CJ, don't forget to inform your insurance company. I would be interested to know what premium increase they will want!!

Post #122416 5th Dec 2011 9:47 am
LASPAE

Cyprus 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

I believe that it s not so wise to remap before the quaranty expires - on more excuse from the dealer, not to fix anything that will go wrong.

On the other hand I feel that the TD4 engine is a lot more cabable than the autobox asks her to do. I use to drive my Freelander in tip tronic mode and I get 1 to 1,5 lt/100km less consumption.

I ve saw an adv on our channel the other day. It s unit that you buy, attach to your LR and remap your car by yourself, depending on the program that the company will send you via email. Did anyone try this allready?

Post #122422 5th Dec 2011 10:21 am
Junior

England 

devondave wrote:
CJ, don't forget to inform your insurance company. I would be interested to know what premium increase they will want!!

DON'T tell your insurance company and DON'T tell your main dealer, a remap is undetectable, From my own experience when L/R found my posts on here about my remap and photo's of my car and Reg they suspended my Warranty. When I denied it had in fact been mapped they asked me to prove it hadn't my solicitor asked them to prove it HAD? Result: warranty reinstated!
dentifiable
Land Rover and Main dealers read this forum so basically Don't let yourself or your vehicle be identifiable via your profile/gallery if you have done any mods that may render you warranty void.

Post #122433 5th Dec 2011 12:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

And i had to spend a hour, editing all you posts and those that had been quoted to make you innocent of been mapped Laughing

Post #122434 5th Dec 2011 12:20 pm
Junior

England 

Embarassed Nick 'loophole' Pinks Laughing

Post #122435 5th Dec 2011 12:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Mr. Green

Post #122438 5th Dec 2011 1:00 pm
S.finder

United Kingdom 
Durham remaps "stay away"

I know this post is a little old but I feel I have to share with all the recent "shocking" experience I have had from Ian at "DURHAM REMAPS",
After shopping all over for a month or two I decided to approach Ian regarding a remap for my car! he said he could offer a certain level of extra fuel economy "and" increased power but after he could not come through with economical side of it I tried to work with him to try and solve the issue.
After a great number of times and eventually getting a hold of him I realised I have "never" dealt with a more arrogant person in my life where "I was the customer" and he even (in not so many words) told me that it was "his business" and he would run it how he liked and he did not want to deal with me (just because the remap didn't work and I contested it)
All I wanted was what he offered and I know that on remaps a certain level is down to the way the car is driven and other factors but I did not expect for more than he said.
Just to some this up, it's just a little warning to any of you people out the thinking about a a car remap in the Durham area to "STAY AWAY FROM "DURHAM REMAPS" as he can't offer what he says and he will do his very best ignore you and not help at all.

Post #215057 28th Jan 2014 8:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>