Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Service Action Q106 - Diesel Auto Transmission Slip/Flare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Just had mine done today at the 30.000 mile service. noticeably smoother with gears changing nearer 1500 revs than 2000.
only done my usual 50 mile route this evening but fuel consumption was 35mpg before on this run and is now 39 so looks promising. Thumbs Up

Post #96965 29th Mar 2011 8:43 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Car was serviced yesterday and the upgrade to the software was also done.

I think the outcome feels slightly more smooth. Gear changes are a slightly higher revs and there does not seem to be any shunting between gears at lower speeds. Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #97000 30th Mar 2011 8:54 am
Ralphk

Software engine upgrade at service

After my second service when the software upgrade was done I promised to come back to the forum with my view. I can't find the old links to the subject so here it is under a new heading!
I have just returned from hols. and after towing the van for 400+ miles plus the running around solo I can say safely that the upgrade done at the service a month ago is c Censored p.
Before I go back to the dealer with a major complaint I would like the view of forum members to see if their opinions are likewise.
The problem seems to centre around the torque converter locking up too early which, particularly with the van on the back, results in the engine labouring at 1800 - 2100 revs. and a deep resonance from the exhaust, because the engine is labouring, making life in the cabin uncomfortable. The gearbox also because of the apparent early lock-up is constantly changing gear resulting in hunting and a distinctly un smooth prgression.
I have tried sport mode, command shift (virtually manual changing) and whilst it modifies the effect it really isn't any better. ( I paid for an automatic and that's what I want!)
So, in one fell swoop Landrover engineering have turned my lovely smooth, powerful tug into a dog.
Any views or opinions on the upgrade before i call my garage tomorrow would be appreciated. Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #102975 23rd May 2011 5:29 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Sounds like similar issues to that discussed in the thread which resulted in the "additional earth connection(s)".

Perhaps that's worth a look - that was an auto too. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #102979 23rd May 2011 7:16 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
sluggish engine at low revs

hi
had a simler problem with my 2011 spec sd4 freelander at 1800/2000 revs vehicle was sluggish and hesitant took it into stratstones last week had vehicle for 2x days got vehicle back on friday night asked what the problem was thay said that an error message,somthing to do with fuel pump?battrey voltage. i would ask them to run through the updates again and is it possable for you to have a look at the printout. ps mine is a manual grarbox Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #102981 23rd May 2011 8:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Had the update done in December and quess what? the noise and slip has returned. will this mean a new gearbox and has anybody else had problems? Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #102984 23rd May 2011 9:04 am
Ralphk

Guys,
See my submission on upgrade in another thread as I have just found the original. Npinks please attach the threads together if you can please. Ralph

Post #102987 23rd May 2011 9:20 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

That doesnt sound right ! I would make sure there are no fault codes in ECU that is making it run on "reduced performance " even though its not displayed on dash.
Mine is the one, after desperation i fitted a very heavey earth strap from the battery neg post Direct to the engine/autobox by the starter bolt ! Mine too kept flagging up battery voltage faults on many modules and amoungst many others " HDC disabled " on the dash at start up in cold weather, anything below -1. Landrovers answer seems to be they all do it !
I too tow a 1600KG caravan ( sorry CG) and since the erath cable was fitted the box has been fabulous and soooo smooth, no hunting and slipping and its a dream to tow with, certainly doesnt labour anymore. The MPG has vastly improved as well and now does around 26 towing and just had 42 solo over 379 miles ! used to do around 21 towing and 33-36 best on a run.

Post #102988 23rd May 2011 9:57 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Ralphk wrote:
Guys,
See my submission on upgrade in another thread as I have just found the original. Npinks please attach the threads together if you can please.

Merged threads Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #102989 23rd May 2011 9:59 am
Ralphk

Thanks NPinks. Makes life much easier.
OldGeezer you have blown my mind. I will contact my supplying dealer and see what they say first then maybe follow your suggestion. It sounds good though as my fuel consumption is about the same as yours pre fitting the earth strap. Cheers Thumbs Up Ralph

Post #102990 23rd May 2011 10:03 am
PJW

oldgeezer wrote:
That doesnt sound right ! I would make sure there are no fault codes in ECU that is making it run on "reduced performance " even though its not displayed on dash.
Mine is the one, after desperation i fitted a very heavey earth strap from the battery neg post Direct to the engine/autobox by the starter bolt ! Mine too kept flagging up battery voltage faults on many modules and amoungst many others " HDC disabled " on the dash at start up in cold weather, anything below -1. Landrovers answer seems to be they all do it !
I too tow a 1600KG caravan ( sorry CG) and since the erath cable was fitted the box has been fabulous and soooo smooth, no hunting and slipping and its a dream to tow with, certainly doesnt labour anymore. The MPG has vastly improved as well and now does around 26 towing and just had 42 solo over 379 miles ! used to do around 21 towing and 33-36 best on a run.

Hi Old geezer, Im I missing something in land rover updates or was it your own decision to put an earth strap to gearbox/engine. I am taking my 08 fl2 back to dealer on tuesday will they have heard of this fix? Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #102991 23rd May 2011 10:13 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi, no its not a known fix. Out of desperation and lack of confidence in two dealerships after several visits , left it there two weeks once ! I looked into the battery voltage at cranking and discovered it was dropping down to around 7 volts ! that got me thinking thats why the faults are flagging up !. I then put an anolouge volt meter between the neg battery post and the engine and hit the starter button, now technically there should of been a zero reading on the meter and the most allowed on an earth curcuit is around .03 of a volt ! well i had over 3 volts ! so that means a 3 volt drop across an earth. i then looked at the cables from the battery and the earth cable goes to the body and another cable ftrom the body about a metre away goes to the g/box ! well in my experince an earth disaster waiting to happen especially as most body panels are glued these days so continuity aint going to be great !
I put up with my Freelander 2 running carp for 2.5 years, now interestingly although faults were flagged in the ECU the MIL wasnt on so apparently when it was in for a service the ECU wasnt interogated despite the fact that I had kept reporting loss of power ! I purchased 2mtrs of starter cable and soldered two heavey duty eyelets and mounted one by the starter and the other on the earth terminal of the battery post. For ,mine it has transformed so many issues and the auto box has been a dream since ! so smooth and I no longer get HDC disbled displayed on a cold start up. Its been great now even at -6 whereas before it would of flagged loads of faults at that starting temp ! Thumbs Up

Post #102998 23rd May 2011 11:09 am
PJW

oldgeezer wrote:
Hi, no its not a known fix. Out of desperation and lack of confidence in two dealerships after several visits , left it there two weeks once ! I looked into the battery voltage at cranking and discovered it was dropping down to around 7 volts ! that got me thinking thats why the faults are flagging up !. I then put an anolouge volt meter between the neg battery post and the engine and hit the starter button, now technically there should of been a zero reading on the meter and the most allowed on an earth curcuit is around .03 of a volt ! well i had over 3 volts ! so that means a 3 volt drop across an earth. i then looked at the cables from the battery and the earth cable goes to the body and another cable ftrom the body about a metre away goes to the g/box ! well in my experince an earth disaster waiting to happen especially as most body panels are glued these days so continuity aint going to be great !
I put up with my Freelander 2 running carp for 2.5 years, now interestingly although faults were flagged in the ECU the MIL wasnt on so apparently when it was in for a service the ECU wasnt interogated despite the fact that I had kept reporting loss of power ! I purchased 2mtrs of starter cable and soldered two heavey duty eyelets and mounted one by the starter and the other on the earth terminal of the battery post. For ,mine it has transformed so many issues and the auto box has been a dream since ! so smooth and I no longer get HDC disbled displayed on a cold start up. Its been great now even at -6 whereas before it would of flagged loads of faults at that starting temp ! Thumbs Up

Thanks for that info, very informative. Although I haven't had as many display faults as you I Have certainly experienced Two low votage & non starting conditions, HDC falure when cold and the dreaded auto box slip. Going into dealers tomorrow so will see what they say but now out of warranty so will probably try the earth strap any way. many thanks for your reply. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #103003 23rd May 2011 11:57 am
Lmac

United Kingdom 

Hi guys - I'm new to this forum lark so please bare with me. Had this issue when I bought my FL2 auto hse december 2010 and stratstones took 3 attempts to run an update before fixing it. However I've just had it back in to have an update so that it recognises the new tow bar and they told me it needed a recall update aswell ie. Q106, v2 I'm assuming. My issue is that when I got it back the next day the display was flashing around and breaking up. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'd seen on the forum others with display issues when the battery has been disconnected, but Stratstone say they didn't disconnected the battery, and that the clock is reset to 00:00 by the update not loss of power. They also say its nothing to do with the upgrade and that the displays can go at any time and if I want a new one it'll be £800 thankyou very much. Any help much appreciated.

Post #106706 30th Jun 2011 6:47 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

If you bought new in December 2010 then it is still under warranty and if faulty should be replaced.
Even if older and out of warranty it is worth going down the sale of goods act and not fit for purpose route, I suspect that the battery has been disconnected. Might be worth taking it to another Dealer or a LR independent for a second opinion.

Post #106713 30th Jun 2011 7:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>