Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Service Action Q106 - Diesel Auto Transmission Slip/Flare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

Service Action Q106 - Diesel Auto Transmission Slip/Flare

Did any of you've been recalled? See Appendix 1.

Diesel Automatic Transmission Slip/Flare
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/Q106.pdf

Quote:
A concern has been identified with diesel Automatic transmission 2009-2010MY Freelander 2 vehicles where gearshift changes may progressively become erratic, transmission slip/flare is experienced and transmission warnings are displayed in the instrument cluster. Should these warning signs be ignored, it is possible that a total loss of drive may occur.

Seems to be a mandatory action, not on the request of the owner...
And quite a number of vehicles: MY2009-MY2010, 096795 to 200566

Quote:
You are requested to contact the owners of the affected vehicles and request that the vehicle is made available at the earliest opportunity for the vehicle to have the transmission recalibrated as identified in the workshop procedure.
Please ensure all unsold vehicles are repaired prior to handover to the customer.

Post #75685 10th Sep 2010 8:21 pm
CosmoQuest

Cyprus 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Alaska White

Hi Alex,

I have a 2008 LR2 on which I have noticed some of the mentioned erratic gearshift changes but no warnings displayed. Dealer said that they run a diagnostic test but they did not find anything wrong with it and I doubt they believed me when I described the problem to them.

Do you know if MY2008 could have the same issue?

Thanks

Post #76722 23rd Sep 2010 3:31 pm
proplus

I the recall phone call a few days ago, so I guess I need to book in in the next couple of weeks.

Post #77000 27th Sep 2010 12:13 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Alex you are brilliant.
I have had a problem with revs staying high after accelarating or using kick down, lift off throttle allow to settle and foot back on throttle takes revs back to 2600-3000.
Takes 2 or 3 attempts to settle.
Had previously spoken to dealer about this and ???!!! was answer.

Phoned dealer immediately after reading your post and car in on Wednesday. (Had to quote the SA no to them)
Thanks again.

Just been on 40+ mile through forrest stages as closing car for Colin Mcrae Rally. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #77011 27th Sep 2010 2:46 pm
alex_pescaru

CosmoQuest wrote:
Do you know if MY2008 could have the same issue?

Are your VIN's last 6 digits between 096795 and 200566?
If yes, then you qualify for the action.

On a different note, several of the guys from the Russian forum have had their cars updated.
The unanimous opinion is that the car becomes very sluggish after the update.
But I tend to believe that it is only an impression, until they will get used with the new throttle response adaption, because otherwise the 0-60mph specifications wont be met anymore and LR should give an explanation.
Like they even bother... Laughing

Let's wait and see feedbacks from members here, because, like I've said, it's a mandatory action.
Even my car is in the range, but the next service interval is in two months. Still, I never noticed an abnormal behaviour of the box... And generally I stick with the saying "If it works, don't mess with it..."
I am still thinking if I should tell them to leave it be for the moment as the service action is valid for two years.

Post #77063 28th Sep 2010 12:06 am
druand

Alex,
Car is within chassis range and is going in tomorrow. This weekend i will be doing a 500-600 mile run 60 miles north of Aberdeen.
Last weekend I was driving on forrest roads using GGS programme and was aware of different throttle response when switched to GGS. Also wearing heavy footwear.
Will update on "update" next Monday after journey. All FL2's (3) Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #77082 28th Sep 2010 11:13 am
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I am going for my update on this thursday and will post the outcome.
What is the LR policy regarding general software updates, can a customer ask for any available updates to be installed or is it only done when a issue is raised? Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #77084 28th Sep 2010 11:30 am
alex_pescaru

Udash wrote:
What is the LR policy regarding general software updates, can a customer ask for any available updates to be installed or is it only done when a issue is raised?

Yes, you can ask, but depending on which category falls the software update, here what LR says:
Communication Types – Clarification and Re-Definition of Purpose

Generally a TSB (technical service bulletin) state: "Should a customer express concern ... "
A SAB (service action bulletin, like this Q106) state: "You are requested to contact the owners ... "

Post #77102 28th Sep 2010 5:03 pm
Udash

Thanks Alex. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #77113 28th Sep 2010 7:15 pm
Udash

Got the update, initial impression is that it seems to change over to higher gears little bit earlier (and stay for bit longer when slowing down)without having to lift the accelerator slightly, didn't notice any sluggishness when accelerating hard. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #77238 30th Sep 2010 11:06 am
druand

Have only driven 30 miles home in heavy rain and lots of standing water since upgrade. 600 mile journey this weekend so will post on monday. All FL2's (3) Gone

Post #77252 30th Sep 2010 12:45 pm
alex_pescaru

@Udash
But what about the feeling when changing gears? Are they smooth transitions?
Did you notice any "interruption" when changing? Meaning short interrupts/loss in pull when changing gear?
Or the opposite, did you notice any jerks when changing? Short and light shudders?
The gear changes (the transition, not the moment of gear changes) are the same on any style of driving (light, hard)?
I am asking you this because on my box, still with old firmware, when I am driving lightly there are small interruptions in pull when changing gears and the opposite, slight shudders when driving hard. Somewhere in between the changes are very smooth... Again, with the old firmware.

Post #77257 30th Sep 2010 1:01 pm
Udash

Alex,
I need drive bit more to give you better indication, but my initial feeling is that changes both up and down are slightly soother. Recently I have in several occasions experienced rough up and down shifting as you mentioned (with a judder) but mostly what I noticed was the gears staying in lower gears when going at constant speeds on flat roads and I can certainly say that this has been improved. Also I noticed a slight improvement to my MPG but with it being around 25 it's not a difficult number to improve on. Big Cry
I am just thinking could there be a situation where lockup clutch don't engage resulting the low MPG. The reason I ask is that I noticed the rev counter going up/down slightly without no apparent speed changes when I was doing 70 (it was on 6th gear) and lockup clutch suppose to be locked on 5th and 6th. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #77275 30th Sep 2010 3:06 pm
alex_pescaru

Mine too varies up and down slightly when cruising, especially if there are variations of the road incline and mostly when cruise control is active. I believe compensating for loosing speed uphill.
I've saw that the lockup clutch is engaged mostly in sport mode.

Post #77326 30th Sep 2010 9:06 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Had mine done when it went in for its 1st service, seems to change smoother and change up earlier, may be me but the throttle seems to have a softer response.

Post #78538 17th Oct 2010 4:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>