« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake Controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hello Avtur

While I appreciate your comments on conditions and developments in the UK and USA, there is absolutely no way I will use a reactive, passive brake system such as override braking. It is, as you say, reactive and does not offer the driver the option of controlling the degree of braking of the trailer in relation to the tow vehicle. This is absolutely essential if serious off-raod driving is undertaken. Electric controller brakes also allow the driver to brake just the trailer while accelerating the tow vehicle. This may seem odd to some but can be very useful in slippery, iced roads or other emergency situations.

The advent of stability control on caravans and trailers is interesting. Is this a fad or reality? I have stability control on 4 year old vehicles and know of it on 8 year old vehicles. The more recent is better in that it is more advanced, less intrusive and better proportioned. How is stability control useful on a towed unit unless it is linked logically to the tow vehicle? If it is not logically linked then the two systems operate independently and may counteract each other in some circumstances. Interested in your and others' comments. Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #9239 31st Oct 2007 1:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I agree on everything you said about your braking systems.

I have pondered on getting the new AL-KO adaptive breaking system on my caravan, as a after market fit, to help if it ever snakes, when i'm passing larger trucks etc.

But I think your systems in Aus are the next step ahead, althought our systems new, and by the sounds of it your systems been out quite a while.

Post #9244 31st Oct 2007 1:31 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Ub2 wrote:
Hello Avtur

While I appreciate your comments on conditions and developments in the UK and USA, there is absolutely no way I will use a reactive, passive brake system such as override braking. It is, as you say, reactive and does not offer the driver the option of controlling the degree of braking of the trailer in relation to the tow vehicle.

It all we've got!!! I think it will be a long time before we see the type of systems you have fitted on our cars/caravans. Perhaps there are differences in the way we use our equipment and our expectations. Other than manouvering on a caravan site then I would say there is no such thing as off roading with a car/caravan, all our travel is on tarmac roads and highways. Also there is the issue of size, certainly the size of caravans we have here are much smaller than those found in America, I don't know how the comparison works with your caravan types. Here I would say that the majority of caravans are in the weight range 1200-1500kgs, the top end being maybe twin axle types at around 1700-1900kgs, but they are in the minorty. These weights are driven by common guidlines that for stable and safe towing the car to caravan ratio should be in the order of 85%-95%, so this is a function of the cars available.

npinks,
I guess we'll have to wait for some road tests to appear in the likes of CC magazine to get a flavour of how effective these new systems might be. Personnally I've never had a problem with snaking either under braking or from the areodynamics of other vehicles passing (not that I'm complacent about the issue). I think we can do a lot to help ourselves by choice of outfit and thoughtful loading of the van to make sure that we have the outfit in its most stable condition. I'm sure you are as horrified as I am at some of the outfits we see on the road, you just know they are accidents waiting to happen.

Post #9394 2nd Nov 2007 2:55 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

avtur wrote:

npinks,
I guess we'll have to wait for some road tests to appear in the likes of CC magazine to get a flavour of how effective these new systems might be. Personnally I've never had a problem with snaking either under braking or from the areodynamics of other vehicles passing (not that I'm complacent about the issue). I think we can do a lot to help ourselves by choice of outfit and thoughtful loading of the van to make sure that we have the outfit in its most stable condition. I'm sure you are as horrified as I am at some of the outfits we see on the road, you just know they are accidents waiting to happen.

I like to check my noseweight and make sure i get a good steady load on the caravan.

I have had one slight snake, overtaking a couple of load loads and when i got past them the high grass verge had dipped away and i got hit by a nasty side wind which caused the snake, very stange feeling when it happens.

Post #9407 2nd Nov 2007 12:38 pm
Ub2

Hello all

I decided on a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller and mounted it above the driver's side dash speaker ( we drive on the left in Australia too) near the windscreen using velcro to avoid holes in the dash. That way I can reach the manual over ride easily.

Danger: Be careful the auto electrician nows what s/he is doing. The first autoelectrician who wired mine up did a lousy job. Every time the headlighs or park lights came on the trailer brakes did too and locked on. Censored Very handy going down a steep descent at 100Kph. Twisted Evil

Photos when I get around to it. Thumbs Up Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #9966 14th Nov 2007 9:20 am
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Nice work by your electrician!

How does the FL2 tow with electric brakes?

Also have progressed with your car pc? I'll be watching because I want to put want one in my car but I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Post #9968 14th Nov 2007 9:29 am
Ub2

Hello DJ

All fixed now and it does tow really well. Sitting on 110kph with 750Kg (dry) off-road trailer averaged 8.5L/100k on flat freeway and went up to 10.1L/110k on the hilly stuff. Efortless towing with the auto.

Car PC is still in rethink stage as I may just use a touch screen in the dash and a laptop under the seat. When I get further along I'll start a separate post. Thumbs Up Regards Ub2

Post #10544 24th Nov 2007 12:59 am
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

8.5L/100km! I get that when I'm not towing! But then I'm a lead foot.

How good is that diesel engine! it just has some much bloody torque

Post #10546 24th Nov 2007 1:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123