Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake Controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Waaxh03, I read that too, I think the big difference is this system lets you apply the the brakes when you want and gives a far greater control which would be needed off road - horses for courses though. I know the Aussies have much heavier nose weight too, some of the D3 guys tow at 300kg Shocked D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #8411 12th Oct 2007 9:28 am
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

pelyma wrote:
Waaxh03, I read that too, I think the big difference is this system lets you apply the the brakes when you want and gives a far greater control which would be needed off road - horses for courses though. I know the Aussies have much heavier nose weight too, some of the D3 guys tow at 300kg Shocked

Thanks pelyma, I think that clears it up.
Nice to meet another CC member on this anti caravanning site.

waaxh03 Very Happy

Post #8483 12th Oct 2007 8:14 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

No problem I don't care what any other Censored Censored er says, my van probably has more comfort than their hotel Laughing Just getting ready to go to a CL that is 30 acres for 5 vans, can't wait D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #8624 16th Oct 2007 5:44 pm
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

The beauty of these electronic controllers is that you can adjust the level of braking that the trailer is doing when you apply the brakes. This means you can set-up the brakes so that the trailer actually retards the forward momentum of the car when you are going downhills. This is a better set-up because it reduces the risk of a jack-knife where the car brakes heavily in an emergency and the trailer runs up the rear of the car and spins to one side before the mechanical override brakes can slow the momentum of the trailer.

Also if the trailer starts to fish tail from left to right for example after the driver swerves to avoid an object, you can gently apply the trailer brakes only and recover. If you were to brake the car in this situation you'd almost certainly jack-knife the trailer.

Of course the downside of this system is the fact that there are electronics to fail which leaves you with no brakes at all. Had one scary moment a few months back where the fuse for the controller blew and the brakes died. It took a few seconds to work out why the brake pedal wasn't working quite right. Ended up using engine braking to drop the speed down before pulling over to fix the problem.

Post #8726 18th Oct 2007 4:34 am
harasn

Australia 

That would have been a scary moment when the fuse blew! It should be wired in with a circuit breaker so it will come back in as soon as it cools to allow you to stop! Using a fuse is dangerous! As it blows and no more brakes till replaced! You have to watch the wiring with brake controllers because to smaller wires and the brakes dont get the right power supply to work right. That all said I have used both styles of brakes on trailers and the likes and the latest electric control modules are brilliant and make the car feel safe at all times in all conditions.

Post #8731 18th Oct 2007 11:19 am
djhampson

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Actually it does use circuit breaker but there was a permanent short so it just kept tripping as soon as it cooled down. The shop that installed the electric brakes on the trailer before we bought the boat were less than professional when it came to wiring and they left a section of wire for the 12v wire exposed where it could touch the chassis of the trailer.

Post #8732 18th Oct 2007 11:27 am
harasn

Australia 

Ouch! thats handy! I have wired in alot of controllers and have found the prodigy one the best so far. I like how the brake force to the trailer is controlled by how fast the car is stopping! Very smooth stopping! Hate with the over ride type brakes waiting for the thump as the trailer catches up to the car and the like! The over ride system is terrible when trying to stop when going down a bumpy hill road! Like the trailer is trying to do an ABS stop!

Post #8733 18th Oct 2007 11:35 am
Sniegy

Australia 
Re: Brake Controller

Ub2 wrote:
I am about to fit a Tekonsha prodigy but the best location appears to be mounting it vertically on the side of the centre console just below my left knee and in front of the seat.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi Ub2,
Just be careful mounting in the position where u propose to fit the controller.
Dont forget the FL2 has a Knee Bolster Airbag.
Wink 01 D2 Bonatti TD5

Keep Smilin' Pete.

Post #8880 22nd Oct 2007 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hello all
I have been a little too busy to log on until now.

DJ, you are correct. I could not have put it better myself.

Yes, the knee airbag has been allowed for.

LRA now advises the towbar will not be available until November 13th Big Cry If they had told me this in the first place instead of Censored I would have ordered the HSE which could not be supplied until February 2008. BUT as I needed to tow in October through November I accepted the SE because the towbar would be available in September. Whistle

LRA should take the SE back as unfit for the intended purpose - towing. I have had the expense and inconvenience of using another tow vehicle. Censored Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #8887 23rd Oct 2007 6:49 am
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Ub2 wrote:
Hello all
I have been a little too busy to log on until now.

DJ, you are correct. I could not have put it better myself.

Yes, the knee airbag has been allowed for.

LRA now advises the towbar will not be available until November 13th Big Cry If they had told me this in the first place instead of Censored I would have ordered the HSE which could not be supplied until February 2008. BUT as I needed to tow in October through November I accepted the SE because the towbar would be available in September. Whistle

LRA should take the SE back as unfit for the intended purpose - towing. I have had the expense and inconvenience of using another tow vehicle. Censored

Sorry to read you are having problems obtaining a towbar for your FL2. I am just wondering if there is a problem for Land Rover, in getting a certificate from the Australian government saying the towbar is fit for use in Australia.
All towbars sold in the UK have to have a European test certificate. I assume you have a similar thing there.

waaxh03

Post #8920 23rd Oct 2007 7:15 pm
harasn

Australia 

The november delivery date for the tow bar seems to explain the lack of phone calls from the dealer saying I can sign up for a FL2 as I can see and measure the tow bar to see if it will suit my needs! Might be easier to go buy something else that is a known quantity me is beginning to think!

Post #8934 24th Oct 2007 6:32 am
Sniegy

Australia 

Hi all,
Its not LR that are delaying the release of the Aus. Towbar. The towbar has been engineered & sent for testing within the ADR's, This is where the hold up is..they dont care how long it takes. Mad
Seeing the vehicle is a 5 Star Encap/Ancap saety rating the towbar needs to match the rating also. Once it is signed off from the ADR's, UK then need to sign off & say it is ok. This has already been done apparantly.
Just waiting for ADR's. Shocked
It is frustrating i know, i have 12 customers awaiting. Confused 01 D2 Bonatti TD5

Keep Smilin' Pete.

Post #8946 24th Oct 2007 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hello Sneigy

ADR was gained 3-4 weeks ago but LRA didn't get their act together fast enough to;
1. submit it for ADR compliance in the first place and
2. to have enough manufactured in the first batch.

Apparently they did not believe many FL2s would be sold with a towbar. Rolling with laughter Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #9190 30th Oct 2007 12:48 pm
harasn

Australia 

I was rung by my dealer today and told he had some towbars in stock! Finally! Will go check it out on the weekend! Hopefully they will have one fitted by then to they say! Will take pictures if I can!

Post #9191 30th Oct 2007 12:56 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

To Ub2 and friends from 'down in the south'. The mechanical braking system we use in the UK is often known as 'over-run braking'. It is simple and effective (providing its kept well maintained) however does rely on the towing vehicle to provide initial braking force to activate trailer brakes, then the trailer brakes self regulate, if they 'over apply' they will release slightly until they sense the braking effort of the towing vehicle then they'll re-apply. The downside to this system is the possibility of 'snaking' under braking, that is where your system of electric brakes gives you the option for the trailer to out brake the tow vehicle and quickly straighten things up.

I lived in USA for a few years and experienced electric brakes over there, they undoubtedly give great performance (unless you blow a breaker!). I guess the issue for us here in the UK is that the mechanical system is so well established it would be impossible to change and retrofit to electrics. However the stability issue is being addressed by one of the main caravan chassis manufacturers which is now offering a stability control system for the caravan brakes (just announced as a £400 option on some new vans). However this system will not be controllable from the tow vehicle, it is self contained in the caravan chassis to sense the early signs of instability and then apply trailer brakes, so it is a reactive system. Not perfect but a good step forward.

I tow a 1450kg caravan with the mechanical brake system, its only a couple of years old, well maintained and the brakes are very effective, when and if needed.

Post #9213 30th Oct 2007 9:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>