Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Sorry....caravans!!!!!!???????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Sorry....caravans!!!!!!???????

I'm fed up with paying over the odds for holidays with the two kids and Mrs Fraz, during peak school holiday season and am to much of a 'poof' to go under canvas, I like my own shower, loo and bed, don't want to be joined by wind, rain and bugs!!!...and after a roasting holiday in Kos this year realised how much we loved Britain...even if the weather here can be crap!! So, I have the diesel FL2 auto and are considering one of the Swift 6 berth 25ft vans.....any advice/ comments/ recommendations?? budget upto say £15K for new only!!!, kids are 9yrs and 7yrs, so 6 berth gives that bit of extra space for us all......your input is welcome or if you just want to throw stones as you pass us next summer, just throw at the van not the car Laughing Laughing

Post #7019 18th Sep 2007 9:54 pm
mack

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Sorry....caravans!!!!!!???????

carlfraz wrote:
I'm fed up with paying over the odds for holidays with the two kids and Mrs Fraz, during peak school holiday season and am to much of a 'poof' to go under canvas, I like my own shower, loo and bed, don't want to be joined by wind, rain and bugs!!!...and after a roasting holiday in Kos this year realised how much we loved Britain...even if the weather here can be crap!! So, I have the diesel FL2 auto and are considering one of the Swift 6 berth 25ft vans.....any advice/ comments/ recommendations?? budget upto say £15K for new only!!!, kids are 9yrs and 7yrs, so 6 berth gives that bit of extra space for us all......your input is welcome or if you just want to throw stones as you pass us next summer, just throw at the van not the car Laughing Laughing
Carl for exactly the same reasons as you have decided to 'caravan' we did between 1996-2002. Until the kids grew out of it. We had loads of great holidays both in UK and across Europe. There is a great choice of caravans now days, and Bailey is one of the better UK Thumbs Up ones, having said that German Vans give you more for your money, only difference being the door is on the wrong side, Hobby is one of the better German vas, although Knaus is better value. Whichever van you go for an awning is a must. Yes they may be divorce kit in a bag, but the benefits of al fresco meals, and somewhere to store your bikes etc is worth it. Good luck in your search. One bit of advice, make sure your car insurance covers you for towing and you take additional insurance for the van against theft. Oh and if yo are intending to tow your caravan with bikes on the back, check the clearance, between van and bikes, and if neccessary remove the jockey wheel, especially when you want to reverse otherwise you could easily end up with a buckled bike wheel crushed by the jockey wheel!. Mack

HSE TD4 Sumatra Black

Post #7023 18th Sep 2007 10:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have a Striling Europa 540 2007, fixed rear bunk beds and side dinette that converts to another bunk and the front seats convert into the double bed.

I found the swift range, which (includes Striling caravans) to be designed for the younger generation, been bright modern and have a reasonable head room.

The wife and I looked for a longtime, 2nd hand and new in lots of different ranges, we liked the Striling as it has Chrome/stainless steel fixtures and lights, where lots of the others mixed chrome with brass coloured with gasty interior fabrics.

I have bought both of my Caravans from Catterick Carvans, and directly from the main sales person (whose family own and run the company) who is Mathew Kinsell, He has looked after me and my father previously very well, My second caravan (The Europa 540) was bought at the Beverley caravan show and I have a few things thrown in as part of the show deals. They will most likely at the NEC you should look them up as a dealer. Tell him I sent you (Nick Pinkney) and i am sure he'll do his best to luck after you in the best professional manor.

PS He's on the front of the latest Pratical Caravan magazine, have a look it will help you identify him Very Happy

Feel free to ask any other questions

Post #7024 18th Sep 2007 10:12 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I agree with Mack on the Awning.

I have just bought my second awning for my van as I had one of the smaller Bradcot Porch awnings and needed the extra room, with my little 21 month rascal ruling the roost whilst on holiday.

I have bought a 2004 Isabella awning with Fibre glass poles thats rrp is £1100+ in perfect condition for just £250 on ebay. And you can't buy better than a isabella awning.

They can be tricky to put up the first time or two then they are easy, and they double the space.

Post #7025 18th Sep 2007 10:19 pm
lardy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Rimini Red

We too have got a Stirling Europa 540 (although its badged stirling windward 540 - dealer spec) its our third caravan and finally we have found a brand we are happy with. One thing worth noting is that Swift Group make Sprite, Stirling, Abbey, Ace and Bessacar - basically you get the same caravan in each manufacturer just with a different interior!

For us the Swift had the better build quality of the british caravans however if I had more money I would be looking at Hymer, burstnor or Geist from our continental friends.

Post #7026 18th Sep 2007 10:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have been told the Resale value are lower on the germany vans, including Geist that make them english spec, (ie door on the right side)

Post #7029 18th Sep 2007 10:25 pm
mack

carlfraz wrote:
What have you unleashed, they are all coming out of the closet, need another forum soon Shocked Shocked Mack

HSE TD4 Sumatra Black

Post #7031 18th Sep 2007 10:28 pm
mack

mack wrote:
carlfraz wrote:
What have you unleashed, they are all coming out of the closet, need another forum soon Shocked Shocked
Meant caravaners not Cowboys, Indians and Sailors Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Mack

HSE TD4 Sumatra Black

Post #7032 18th Sep 2007 10:30 pm
lardy

Yeap tis true, depends how long you want to keep it and wether you can put up with the door on the wrong side, but the build quality is a world apart from the UK manufacturers. With the UK caravans you will need to keep a toolbox onboard as things will definately break when you are in the middle of a field and nowhere near your dealer!!!!

Post #7033 18th Sep 2007 10:31 pm
mack

lardy wrote:
Yeap tis true, depends how long you want to keep it and wether you can put up with the door on the wrong side, but the build quality is a world apart from the UK manufacturers. With the UK caravans you will need to keep a toolbox onboard as things will definately break when you are in the middle of a field and nowhere near your dealer!!!!
I agre, and in any case the resale value must be reflected in the price you paid in the first place, but if yourealy want to save money buy it in Germany not UK. Massive savings to be made. Mack

HSE TD4 Sumatra Black

Post #7035 18th Sep 2007 10:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

If your going to be looking at a larger caravan, I would look at a electronic mover as well, You be looking at the best part of £1000+ for one, but it is so much easier.

If you go for a twin axle van "Reich" do a great mover for them.

Post #7042 18th Sep 2007 10:48 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bloody hell you lot are quick....I thought caravaners were slow Rolling with laughter Cheers for the quick advice, car insurance etc and the bikes is something i would have overlooked npinks. Regarding Matthew, my local van dealer said he got into big trouble over his photo on the front of the Mag cause that ain't his wife he's with Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter its one of the girls from the magazine editorial team. Mrs Matthew went mad apparantly Laughing Laughing

We are lookin at the Sterling 600, or the equvalent Abbey, Sprite, Jubilee, which has the shower-room at the back. As you say all the same except for the fabric trim (except the Sprite which is the entry level, and still being considered as £2000 cheaper, but by the time you add in a spare wheel, stabilizer, and stereo the difference is only £1,250!!) Funnily, all the brochures arrived today from Swift, so bedtime reading for tonight - sorry Misses Fraz your on your own Laughing Laughing

We are pretty respectful people (despite my forum postings!!) so don't look to abuse the van too much, so reliability is not too worrying they come with three years plus 6 on the bodies. If treated with care and used, say what, for eight to ten trips a year including a summer holiday, how many years should it last??? The dealer had some that were 7yrs plus that looked OK if your budget couldn't stretch to newer?? And they commanded a good price too!!

Post #7043 18th Sep 2007 10:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Second hand van sold at the dealers can be quite costly, I found all these were, dark and dingy inside, and opted for a brand new Stirling Europa 525 2006, changed it a year later for the Europa 540 as it has the fix bunk at the back which is great with the age of my child. Only lost approx £1000 on the old van plus extra for the purchase of the brand new 540 which wasn't much.

Warrenty is good on the Swift Group vans. 3 years I beleive.

As for vans lasting a long time my next door neighbour has a 1960's Cheltenham caravan which he pull along with his 1960's Triumph

Post #7047 18th Sep 2007 10:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

carlfraz wrote:
Bloody hell you lot are quick....I thought caravaners were slow Rolling with laughter

BTW in front of every caravaner is a old timer driving very slow or a tractor, and they don't allow you to overtake them.

I only found that out though once i had bought one Laughing

Post #7049 18th Sep 2007 11:02 pm
lardy

carlfraz wrote:

We are pretty respectful people (despite my forum postings!!) so don't look to abuse the van too much, so reliability is not too worrying they come with three years plus 6 on the bodies. If treated with care and used, say what, for eight to ten trips a year including a summer holiday, how many years should it last??? The dealer had some that were 7yrs plus that looked OK if your budget couldn't stretch to newer?? And they commanded a good price too!!

You only have to sneeze and something will break in the caravan, its just what they are like, nothing major but keep a small set of tools at hand for fixing door hinges, taps etc. I have already got through two truma gas regulators, they are replaced on warranty but that doesnt help you when you are away from your dealer so you end up buying the part locally and getting a replacement later.

Make sure when you buy that you check the build quality the load bearing areas eg beds, We had a brand new Avondale and the beds collapsed and we spoke to others with the same problems. The reason we went down the swift route was that the build of these items looked alot stronger. But we still find areas that are poor - particulary where they screw the door hinges in, the wood is soft that the screws dont bite properly and will work loose.

That said we love our caravan and just accept that it is fragile.

Post #7050 18th Sep 2007 11:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>