Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Looking to buy 2nd hand, any high mileage watch outs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gerryca

Looking to buy 2nd hand, any high mileage watch outs?

Hi all
We are looking to add a 2nd F2 to the stable, but this one will be 2nd hand and 80k+ mileage and mostly likely a 07 plate.

Beyond looking for:

Duff haldex unit (rare?)
Sticky manual box with reluctant changes into 6th (already had that)
Full service history
No tow bar and a clutch that doesn't judder

Anything else to worry about at high mileages, (we have owned discos and deafeners for 10 yrs so are not worried about minor foibles)
Thinking like shocks, fuel pumps, turbos, de-laminating pipes, leaks(!) etc.

Post #99816 25th Apr 2011 9:06 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Hi gerryca and welcome to the forum

Mines just clocked 60,000 miles and the only thing that has failed and that was recently was the rear wiper motor and according to the garage they have had a run of wiper motors failing on 3 – 4 yr old FL 2’s over the last few months, apart from that only things needing replacing are wear and tear items such as Pads, handbrake pads & discs and rear discs, Clutch is going strong although on a couple of occasions reversing up steep slopes I have had the smell slipping clutch
All in all I am pleased with performance and the MPG, much better than my previous Petrol X-Trail and probably the best car I have owned over the last 28 yrs.

Post #99831 25th Apr 2011 11:13 pm
pjstone

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi i done the same 07 HSE auto gave 17 k with 70k miles had it for just under 1yr its been great The drivers seat was showing slight wear i fixed this with gliptone leather care colour stain kit go for it ! p j stone

Post #99875 26th Apr 2011 12:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mine is just on 3 years old with 89k on it. At 75k it had the rear diff replaced, but other than a bit of a creaky seat with creases on the side bolster everything else has been very good. Ave MPG 35/36. Mix of London/motorway.

Mind you, I have been on 9 points ever since I have owned this one (All now gone Very Happy ) and I have driven it like an old Granny, so it has hardly been pushed to its limits!

Handbrake has been a constant pain - It has only just come back from the dealers after adjustment for the MOT and it is crap again already - 5 notches to get it to hold even on the smallest of inclines.
Think this is a common problem.

Good Luck. FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #99910 26th Apr 2011 2:49 pm
pjstone

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Come to think of it our hand brake is a pain needs 5 clicks to hold .In traffic i put it in park thought it was due to haveing the engine remaped & a higher tickover p j stone

Post #99930 26th Apr 2011 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

some early models had problems with steering racks / pumps / resevoirs (mine did) look out for notchy or heavy steering at low speed, also sometimes you can hear a whiring noise which is caused by a blocked filter in the resevoir.

I think it tends to be one of those where if it is OK its OK and as long as all the bits are replaced you should not have a proble but mine has just started plying up and it is a tad over 3yrs with 49k on the clock. Fortunatly I have the Landrover used warranty.

Other than that - I would say to look out for all the usual stuff, noisy turbo, noisy bearings / drive shafts, dodgy clutch (if manual), jerky changes and slip / flare if auto, even wear on tyres, a straight chasis and consistant panel gaps!

Good luck! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #99932 26th Apr 2011 4:52 pm
gerryca

Cheers all I went to enquire about one with 90K miles on the clock to find out it has one recorded service in the log at about 80K but no warranty work recorded at all either(!)

Why anyone would risk either having it done locally with no record, or more likely not at all is beyond me!

To be fair the garage was offering a cast iron 1 yr guarantee on everything but
Decided to stay well clear and hope to look at a few more over the weekend, with smaller miles and FSH's

Gerry

Post #99942 26th Apr 2011 6:34 pm
Ghosty

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Out of interest Gerry - what was the year, spec, asking price, condition, colour etc of the 90K miles one in the garage?

Post #100007 27th Apr 2011 8:19 am
gerryca

Hi ghosty
Don't want to give any hostages to fortune as I will almost certainly be back at same dealer for a similar age freelander but less miles in the next few weeks so I'll keep schtum and avoid giving any details that would identify dealer or car!

Post #100309 29th Apr 2011 8:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1