40%
 40%  [18]
Would definitely get a Freelander TD4 Manual
22%
 22%  [10]
Would get a Disco 3 TDV6 even if new model out in 2008
29%
 29%  [13]
Keep my current i6 and get it repaired (if possible)
6%
 6%  [3]
Total Votes: 44

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Freelander 2 or Disco 3

Ok guys this is not an act of betrayal. Embarassed Most of you do know from the old days that I had a really great passion with my Freelander 2. Thumbs Up Actually I still do, but I had so many problems that in order not to get a nervous breakdown I'm seriously thinking of getting another Land Rover. This will be either a LR2 HSE Diesel Auto, or a Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE. I've heard that the latter is in for a face-lift in 2008 which is discouraging. I would get a new LR2, hoping that its early problems will have been fixed Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter , and I would get a Disco 3 as it's supposed not to have any problems. Whistle
Don't get me wrong, I still love the LR2, whenever I look at it, I can't get my eyes off it. But too many Censored problems with mine (suspension problem, trip reset, radio freeze, too fast rain wipers in auto, rattles, plastic bit dismantled from sunroof, knocking sound/feeling on steering wheel, bit of cloth in front windscreen, wrong dealer order situation -that was not a car problem actually but played a part in my psychology) and all this with just 12000km on clock and no off-roading! Banging Head
So do give me your opinion. Bow down And I think we do have some Disco3 owners in our forum (actually Martin's), what do you think of your Disco's?
Thanks everybody, your opinion matters!

Post #6107 4th Sep 2007 8:31 am
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

not sure a disco3 will fix the reliability problem for you. maybe move to a freelander2 of a later batch? mine has had absolutely no problems since mid-april. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #6108 4th Sep 2007 8:39 am
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Stick to the FL2 matey, you know you want to keep one Thumbs Up Thumbs Up even if it is the TD4 Auto

Post #6111 4th Sep 2007 9:01 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

If money were no object, I'd personally go for the D3. However, the reality is that to match specs you're looking at about an extra £10,000 for an equivalent D3, and you can take 20% off your fuel economy for the same transmissions.

I had an early D3 TDV6 and loved driving and owning it, my only reservation was its boxy shape which whilst I didn't dislike, still never totally grew on me. Of course, then came along the RRS which would really be my choice, but again if I had the money.

When you look at what stuff you can get on a FL2 for the price of a basic D3, then the FL2's the easy winner for me, my only possible reservation being the small bootspace. However, if you are comfortable forking out for a D3 HSE then go for it - and that way if you feel like you made the wrong decision I'll do you a swap. So please get a right hand drive one.

Incidentally, why not a RRS?

Last edited by NightFox on 4th Sep 2007 7:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6155 4th Sep 2007 7:15 pm
defkalion

Thanks for your replies everyone. Nightfox I was told that there is a Discovery 3 2008 new model comming out soon, so there is a significant price cut for the running model. Actually you get the HSE model for about 4000euro more (not that much of a difference if you go for this amount anyway). And actually you get more at this price than you get for the fully loaded FL2 (eg 4x4 info, hybrid TV etc). So if we could say that they are at about the same price, why not go for it. That's only if it's more reliable than the FL2.

Post #6162 4th Sep 2007 7:32 pm
NightFox

I'm intrigued!

In the UK:

FL2 TD4 HSE - £30.960
D3 TDV6 HSE - £44,535

That's over £13,000, or about €20,000 difference!

Am I missing something here?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #6163 4th Sep 2007 7:37 pm
defkalion

Sorry NightFox, maybe I should make myself clear (and practice my English a bit more Very Happy ). I just tried to compare a Disco HSE with no additional equipment with an FL2 with about the same equipment (as the Disco). For example the SAT NAV is standard for Disco, not so for FL2 HSE. Same thing for the Auto box. This adds up to the FL2 price making it about the same with Disco's. I'm referring to prices in Greece as you realise. The prices of the HSE's with no add-on's are 56000 for FL2 and 67500 for Disco, but that's not a fair comparison taking equipment into account.

Post #6164 4th Sep 2007 7:55 pm
NightFox

Ah, OK, I see. Plus I also forgot that your HSE (for either the FL2 or the D3) is probably different from the UK HSE. For example, with the FL2, Sat Nav comes as standard with the SE and the HSE in the UK.

All the same, it's interesting to see how closely priced the FL2 and the D3 are in Greece compared to the UK. Over here I suspect they significantly reduced the spec on the "lower" D3s in preparation to the FL2 launch, to avoid the situation where a FL2 HSE buyer could get a similarly speced D3 for more or less the same price.

Post #6165 4th Sep 2007 8:06 pm
defkalion

Thanks everybody for voting. Thumbs Up I'm impressed I must admit about the result. Although when the poll started it was biased towards TD4 manual now trade in for a Disco is quite close. This gets interesting! The sample of 9 people is not huge but I hope that more of you will vote. Let's see how much biased our Freel2.com forum members are in favour of FL2.

Post #6183 4th Sep 2007 10:59 pm
carlfraz

Hi defkalion,

I'm worried I am the only one voting for a TD4 auto, and so many traitors are suggesting the Disco 3 Shocked Have I had a second bite of the cherry and picked the wrong choice Question Maybe I should have got the Disco 3 instead Crying or Very sad Too late now

Post #6184 4th Sep 2007 11:03 pm
defkalion

Just came back from an Athens dealer. Yes it's closed at this time of day (01:00 am here) but it's quiet out there and I could peer at both my FL2 and a Disco. To be honest I like both of them. They are both great cars. Maybe, after all, I should check which is most eye catching, since I'm single for the time being! Rolling with laughter (the laugh is for the attitude not for being single Big Cry Censored ).
PS Fancy meeting you here Carl Rolling with laughter Laughing Wink
PS2 Come on everybody, vote for me! Laughing Milestone (sorry could not find a banner with my face on it)

Post #6186 4th Sep 2007 11:14 pm
carlfraz

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6199 5th Sep 2007 10:01 am
defkalion

People thanks so much for your response to my poll. It really means a lot to me! Thumbs Up
Carl do check the new results mate! Amazing! Eeehhr, and regarding your second previous post, it's never to late. You'll get a better price too for a new FL2. Mr. Green Maybe I'll buy yours and you get a Disco! Am I confused or what?! Rolling with laughter

Post #6202 5th Sep 2007 4:17 pm
graemehunter

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

i had a Nov' 04 Disco 3 tdv6s manual from new, replacing an 02 disco2
and ownership was unpredictable at first ( lots of sensor/ software issues).
also V thirsty & difficult to park ( even on low susp', few carparks are high enough)
and as the model years went on the spec came down, no xenons/ high end hifi on S now!
while stuck at the dealer having an air suspension sensor replaced i took the fl2 for a drive,
did a deal & picked up an se manual from dealer stock 2 weeks later,
really pleased so far, 12,000 miles, a few non starts, beeps & whistles.
nowhere near as much space as the disco, but i dont have kids & was always the "event" driver with 6 passengers!
but when the seats are down it's a 4x4 van for work, and otherwise it's a pleasant place to be,
so my vote ? diesel auto/ man with ALL the toys inc the "must have" woodcompany arm rest/ cubby box
(why landrover didn't do this in the first place is beyond me!)

G

Post #6214 5th Sep 2007 7:47 pm
carlfraz

Now there is a man that KNOWS!!! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #6223 5th Sep 2007 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>