40%
 40%  [18]
Would definitely get a Freelander TD4 Manual
22%
 22%  [10]
Would get a Disco 3 TDV6 even if new model out in 2008
29%
 29%  [13]
Keep my current i6 and get it repaired (if possible)
6%
 6%  [3]
Total Votes: 44

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Honestly that auto box is as Smoooooooooooooooth as a 'Worthers Original' (sorry Defkalion, thats a creamy sweet that you suck here in the UK!) The car definately is quieter than my origianl manual model - definately 100%, and gearchanging is wonderful, whether in std auto, sport or manual mode, and whether you are driving like Miss Daisy (avtur), or Lewis Hamilton, still smooth and quiet.

Post #6731 13th Sep 2007 11:37 pm
carlfraz

avtur, when we meet at Tong we need a serious chat my old friend. For the hell of it I drove like a hearse going upto Newcastle from Bedford and got I think it was 46.8 mpg from the computer....I needed therapy afterwards, 3/4 of my brain had shut down during the journey, and if you are getting 43mpg I can only guess how you are driving Whistle .

Very commendable effort though!! Do I hold the record at both ends though, for a TD4 engine?? Best and worst consumption!!

My 8.5mpg has left a dent in the floorpan though

Post #6733 13th Sep 2007 11:44 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Got to make a confession here; every Friday and Sunday night I do my 140 mile Bedfordshire/Shropshire drive, about 100 miles of which is motorways and the other 40 single-carriageway A roads. Whenever I've been in a "normal" car I've tended to drive the m-way sections at about 85mph when the traffic allows. This means spending most of the time not actually doing 85mph, but "high speed queuing" in the fast lane, cursing drivers who just sit in Lane 2 doing the "Lane 2 Conga" as I like to call it, when Lane 1 is clear, and cursing the drivers who won't let you out in front of them when you do try and observe lane etiquette. In all, the journey takes about 2hrs 20mins, and I'm knackered and fed up by the time I get to the end of it.

BUT, put me in a 4x4 and I'll drive it at 70mph. In a car this tends to feel unbearably slow and I always find my speed creeping up, but not in a LR. I can just sit in Lane 1, cruise control on for most of the time, and virtually have the lane to myself. Even when there is a slow mover, because everythings stacked up in Lane 3, it's normally a doddle to pull into Lane 2 to get past it. And when you get Lane 2 and Lane 3 surging between 20mph and 90mph, you just glide elegantly along in Lane 1 without a care in the world (keeping an eye open for the pratt in the BMW who decides to undertake everything at 90mph).

And the best bit is, I actually get to enjoy the drive, and arrive feeling like I could happily do another 100 miles. And how much longer does my journey take me? 10 minutes.

Or maybe I'm just getting on a bit.

Post #6748 14th Sep 2007 10:34 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Avtur,

If carlfraz's allegations of your driving style are true, then I wonder if I'm the only one appreciating the irony of your forum name?

Post #6749 14th Sep 2007 10:37 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

NightFox wrote:
BUT, put me in a 4x4 and I'll drive it at 70mph.

It's true - I've really noticed that I speed a lot less in my FL2, than in previous saloon cars. It just doesn't seem necessary - I'm also less keen to sit in lane 3 having to put up with the sinusoidal braking effect !

Or praps I'm getting on a bit too Whistle

Post #6752 14th Sep 2007 10:59 am
SkyDive

Greece 2007 Freelander 2 i6 S Auto Sumatra Black

Hello from a new memeber on the forums!Same thing here. It just doesn't feel necessary when knowing u have the power to do so. Anyways to answer to the poll, having both a tdv6 se and an fl2 s i6 in the family i would definatly go for the D3 . Air suspension and off-road capabilities just top the D3 on my list.
The choise is yours buddy!

Post #6764 14th Sep 2007 12:09 pm
mack

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

avtur wrote:
Because I am a really sad bastard (I'm saying that before anyone else!!) I can tell you that my car has averaged 37.04 mpg over 16,840 miles. That is calculated by miles driven against fuel put it, not the on board computer. I think that is pretty good, I'm well pleased with that......
Avtur to record this MPG did you really empty the tank before recording actual fuel put in and then run till empty. Because I am sure I read somewher that if you run out of fuel you need to have a re-set on on board computer?

As for the LR stats, I take my hat off to any one who actulaly achieves the 41.5 mpg, because I am convinced that this is over inflated.

That has not dampened my enthusiasn for what continues to be a dream to drive. I endorse your comments Carl, the gearbox is so smooth and the cruis control is like an after burner when it is re-selected, yet still retaing the smothness.

Carl, that must have been you blocking the A1 you B Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation d.

Post #6775 14th Sep 2007 5:25 pm
carlfraz

Sorry Mack!!! Only did it for a challenge, bit like Clarkson doing London Edinburgh and London in the diesel Audi A8. My 8.5mpg was just a curiosity to see lowest acheivable and is not my general driving style....I could not afford the fuel and points!!!!! I second nightfox's staement, you do not feel the erge to tear about, when there is a need the car delivers...but 95% of the time you feel the enjoyment of the drive as the buzz, getting to your destination is a disappointment as you have to leave the car Big Cry

Post #6777 14th Sep 2007 5:58 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

mack wrote:
avtur wrote:
Because I am a really sad bastard (I'm saying that before anyone else!!) I can tell you that my car has averaged 37.04 mpg over 16,840 miles. That is calculated by miles driven against fuel put it, not the on board computer. I think that is pretty good, I'm well pleased with that......
Avtur to record this MPG did you really empty the tank before recording actual fuel put in and then run till empty. Because I am sure I read somewher that if you run out of fuel you need to have a re-set on on board computer?

No I didn't empty the tank I did it the other way, I work from full to full. When I picked my car up from the dealer it was supposed to have a 'full' tank of fuel, yeh right !!!. Now probably because I'm a cynical, distrusting, detail focused old fool ... (go on Carl give me your worst ....) the very first thing I did with the car was drive to a fuel station and fill it up. My records started from that fill up and are always calculated on filling to full to replicate that original state.

Post #6781 14th Sep 2007 6:24 pm
avtur

carlfraz wrote:
.............. and whether you are driving like Miss Daisy (avtur), or Lewis Hamilton, still smooth and quiet.

Well first I suppose I should be flattered to be mentioned in the same sentence as Lewis Hamilton Bow down Bow down

As for 'Miss Daisy' well the nearest I come to 'Miss Daisy' is that we have a dog called "Daisy May". There are a number of people who know me who absolutely would not know who you are talking about with a name like that. There are also some speed records that I hold, which I will not be posting in here Whistle Whistle

Post #6782 14th Sep 2007 6:47 pm
avtur

NightFox wrote:
Avtur,

If carlfraz's allegations of your driving style are true, then I wonder if I'm the only one appreciating the irony of your forum name?

That is a very good point, and I guess the answer is probably not. I use 2 names on web forums 'avtur' is one, which in the UK would only be recognised by someone with a 'forces' background (or someone even older than me!) the other name I use is JetA1, but most people think that means I own a VW Jetta, which of course is not true (and if you are in the USA then it would not be recognised) .....

Post #6784 14th Sep 2007 7:07 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Aviation Turbine Fuels Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #6793 14th Sep 2007 9:09 pm
carlfraz

Aha!! ukdave104!!! Is that an anorak I see hanging on your rear passenger handle???

Avtur, any record is something to be proud of, and we are proud to have you on our forum Sir!! Looking forward to meeting you and buying you a pint Thumbs Up

Last edited by carlfraz on 14th Sep 2007 10:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6797 14th Sep 2007 10:09 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A very tired urban rider ? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter or A very teriffying urban rider... Rolling with laughter Sheep Laughing
I think the LR experience day on the 30th will prove some things. And of course we are proud to have you here! This forum is not to judge character,... or driving style! Rolling with laughter OK sorry mate, you know I'm only kidding (and would definitely like to be be with you all on the 30th - maybe I'll catch a plane and meet you there).

Last edited by defkalion on 14th Sep 2007 10:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6799 14th Sep 2007 10:12 pm
carlfraz

Evening Def! glad to see you are around at a reasonable hour today Thumbs Up

Post #6801 14th Sep 2007 10:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>