Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > signal lenses on the side vents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

OK, Clear Side repeaters now fitted Thumbs Up But the Clear "amber" LEDs I bought, where a touch to long to be fittted Censored , so I have to put up with the Fried-egg look on trhe side (But I have illiminated that from teh Front/rear incicators now Mr. Green )

Added Pics in my gallary

DONT buy these to go in the side repeaters....they are a little bit too long Big Cry
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-...-1545.html '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #10226 17th Nov 2007 5:14 pm
charlie

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

How about these....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-BULBS-SIDE-RE...dZViewItem TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

Post #10234 17th Nov 2007 6:55 pm
mburton2

charlie wrote:
How about these....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHROME-BULBS-SIDE-RE...dZViewItem

They would indeed stop the fried-egg look, but they woudl still suffer the glow-up, glow-down of standard bulbs...I like the crisp ON-OFF look of LEDS...I'll not panic about it....but I'll find something....like http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u5016aw-amber-s...-1364.html should do the job.... '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #10235 17th Nov 2007 7:02 pm
FooMan

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Mburton2,

I saw your images of the LED bulb change over in the gallery - looks very nice. I have ordered clear side repeaters on Ebay from a UK based seller. I want to do LEDs for the indicator bulbs etc as you have done. The LED's I can get in Australia from local suppliers.

Question: When you changed over to LED bulbs did you get any failed bulb warning indicators come up as the LEDs are far lower power draw then standard incandesent bulbs? Question

That said I don't know if the FL2 has failed bulb warning indication other then for headlights & brake lights? Only had the car week and still going through the instructions in fine detail! Smile

Regards

Paul My First LR - FL2 HSE i6 Sumatra Black, Alpacca with Sunroof, Tints, HD Tow Pack

Post #10287 19th Nov 2007 8:23 am
mburton2

Fooman.

I have tempararily used some 25w shunt resistors...so the car "Thinks" its power a bulb. I am working on getting the the vehicle in "LED" mode, which the EuCD vehicle (FL2, New Mondeo & Volvo (C70 I think)) is all using) There is an LED-Mode available...but I'm currenly not sure if the Landrover supports it.....

I've tried replaceing the tail/brake lights with LEDs, like I did on my FL1, but the FL2 is pulsing the lights(Not visable on a std bulb) to check for bulb-outage...although I'm not sure why, as I have no bulb-monitors in my car!? Question

Watch this space..... '57 FL2 GS

Last edited by mburton2 on 1st Aug 2008 5:45 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #10385 20th Nov 2007 10:26 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

mburton2

I just bought some http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u5016aw-amber-s...-1364.html thet you recommended for the indicators. How do I practically get the shunt resistor in parallel with the leds and where did you get the resistors from please?

I alos bought the boot led! Shine on!

S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #10390 21st Nov 2007 12:07 am
mburton2

Scotster....

The Shunt resistor is a doddle to fit...they comes with scotch-locks....you'll need one resistor per bulb replaced (This does NOT include the side-repeaters, which can simply be replaced)

To do the Rear, remove the Light (2 cross-head screws, then pull the whole unit backwards)

The Earth is obvious, as there is a brown wire going to each bulb, which is then spliced into a bigger brown wire, sealed witha blob of hot-melt type glue/silicon. Scotch-lock on to the brown wire going to the Indicator bulb (Orange cap), close to were it splice's into the big cable.

Then Scotch-lock onto the only other wire going to Orange cap (Grey), this is the supply to the indicator.

I have left the shunt-resistor just hanging (Like I did for several years on my FL1, with no problems)

The Front is a little tricker...but not a lot.

Remove the head light (Mine are Xenon, not know if that makes any difference), by removing the two 10mm hex-head bolts, then lift the little black lever at the top-rear of the lamp. I then push from the bottom of the lanmp (Hand inside the bonnet, pushing towards myself) and the whole lamp will pop out. Undo the main electrical connector, and the lamp is then totatly detactched from the car.

Remove the thin round rubber cap, and this gets you access to the indicator/front sidelight bulb.

The Indicator has THREE grey wires going to it...if you prise (YOU DONT NEED TO!) the fold-down latch, you will see that the outer-two grey wires, join at the same electrical pin.....This is the EARTH. One of the grey wires will go to the Side-light. This is the shared earth.

So, you will need to scotch-lock one end of the shunt resistor to the MIDDLE grey wire (The +ve wire), and EITHER of the outer grey wires, although I would recommend the one that does NOT go to the side-light, as the other one will go directly to -ve(Ground).

Again, I have left the shunt loose in the unit, making sure it couldnt short-out on anything. Replace the rubber cap/boot, reconnect the main electrical connector, refit the lamp, tighten down the two 10mm he-heads, and start on the other side!.

Hope that helps.....

EDIT
I got the shunts from Robert at UltraLEDs: http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/loada-solution-...-1212.html '57 FL2 GS

Post #10428 21st Nov 2007 7:11 pm
scotster

Thanks for the instruction manual!!

I only bought the repeaters so far and not the indicators (as I said) - So I dont need the shunts yet... I guess?

I may go the extra mile to the indicators some time soon.

I assume that the boot light doesnt need a shunt?

Ta. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #10441 21st Nov 2007 10:09 pm
mburton2

No, the boot light needs no Shunt...its just a 1-4-1 replacement....

the indicators need a shunt to fool the system that the bulb is there...the LEDS alone draw so little power, it the car will think the bulb has blown, and Rapid-flash them (This is how you know a indicator bulb has blown on all cars)

Thumbs Up

IF you get round to ordering the indicator bulbs, THESE
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u58135a-15mm-ba...-1209.html
Are the babies you want....with OFF-SET PINS '57 FL2 GS

Post #10442 21st Nov 2007 10:11 pm
scotster

Just to confirm.

The indicator repeaters dont need a shunt right?

Cheers, Scott. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10444 21st Nov 2007 10:48 pm
FooMan

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Mburton & Et al,

Well I got LED tail / brake L's, and all indicators. Of course I had the same problems as you - rapid flashing indicators and blinking tails. Big Cry

The LED supplier has a LED designed indicator 'Flash Can' the ticking relay. The problem is I can hear the flasher unit up under the drivers side of the instrument panel but I don't how where to get at it. There are two replacement types available so I have to find the one fitted to the FL2 and get the model code.

Any ideas where its located and how do I get at it. Question

I'll look at the tail light problem later - one thing at a time Neutral

Paul My First LR - FL2 HSE i6 Sumatra Black, Alpacca with Sunroof, Tints, HD Tow Pack

Post #10552 24th Nov 2007 6:21 am
mburton2

scotster wrote:
Just to confirm.

The indicator repeaters dont need a shunt right?

Cheers, Scott.

SIDE Repeaters (Little pne on the side, A'la https://www.freel2.com/gallery/displayimag...&pos=3 do NOT need a shunt...) '57 FL2 GS

Post #10555 24th Nov 2007 8:10 am
mburton2

FooMan wrote:
Mburton & Et al,

Well I got LED tail / brake L's, and all indicators. Of course I had the same problems as you - rapid flashing indicators and blinking tails. Big Cry

The LED supplier has a LED designed indicator 'Flash Can' the ticking relay. The problem is I can hear the flasher unit up under the drivers side of the instrument panel but I don't how where to get at it. There are two replacement types available so I have to find the one fitted to the FL2 and get the model code.

Any ideas where its located and how do I get at it. Question

I'll look at the tail light problem later - one thing at a time Neutral

Paul

You mean you have a replacement relay?..... Laughing I also have a couple, I could also hear the clicking, but I also could NOT find it!.....but I have an additional clicking comming from the boot area, where the 3rd party trailer-pack was installed....so I coule hear that too....

IF you find the flasher realy, PLEASE TELL!.....I wil find out if there is a seperate one, or IF its built into one of the Electronic modules... '57 FL2 GS

Post #10556 24th Nov 2007 8:14 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If we are lucky it is a seperate relay, because on my Audi A3 the relay is combined with the hazard warning switch i.e. switch and relay as one unit.

I've got a couple of relays for LED's and a bucket full of LED bulbs at work so hope it is only a plug and play relay that's needed.

Thumbs Up

Post #10561 24th Nov 2007 9:07 am
scotster

Cheers mburton.

Side repeater LED's and boot light LED fitted and working. Ten minute job.

Cheers. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.

Post #10673 26th Nov 2007 8:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>