Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Blue smoke when starting from cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

No need to do any thing else than NORMAL starting even in the COLDEST weather Thumbs Up . By following the procedure suggested by Dave does not save any time and does not help start a dead Freely Shocked .

If you get a message when waiting for the engine to crank, then it is just informing what is happening under the start up Wink . The colder it gets the longer the delay time is. The last few days in minus 7, it takes about 3-5 seconds to start cranking on a cold start. If you get no message and it cranks normally its not cold enough for you to worry Thumbs Up .

If you get no warning and it dosent crank its dead Big Cry and then you can start worring what the f Censored k is wrong Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #82314 30th Nov 2010 12:42 pm
Sam

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

AndyC wrote:
No need to do any thing else than NORMAL starting even in the COLDEST weather Thumbs Up . By following the procedure suggested by Dave does not save any time and does not help start a dead Freely Shocked

Andy
Agreed does not save time nor start dead one BUT it does reduce the smoke cloud and 'catches' much more readily on 1st crank. I still wonder whether or not a hotter glowplug results from this and hence easier starting.

Post #82316 30th Nov 2010 12:59 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

To be honest, I would think that the if you turn the ignition on, then start it in 2 motions, (Dave's method) then teh glow plugs would probably be slightly hotter, I think when the car does it all in one go it slightly rushes the procedure. The only real benefit is that it would be ever so slightly easier on the starter motor and put a bit less drain on the battery doing it the way that Dave highlighted.

I must admit, I can never be that bothered to be honest. I would prefer a proper key though.

I have found that for almost every degree below 0, it takes about a second longer to crank when you start in the 'normal' way ie for -7 it takes about 7 seconds to start to turn over. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #82319 30th Nov 2010 1:22 pm
AndyC

Big Dave wrote:
To be honest, I would think that the if you turn the ignition on, then start it in 2 motions, (Dave's method) then teh glow plugs would probably be slightly hotter, I think when the car does it all in one go it slightly rushes the procedure. The only real benefit is that it would be ever so slightly easier on the starter motor and put a bit less drain on the battery doing it the way that Dave highlighted.

I must admit, I can never be that bothered to be honest. I would prefer a proper key though.

I have found that for almost every degree below 0, it takes about a second longer to crank when you start in the 'normal' way ie for -7 it takes about 7 seconds to start to turn over.

I will time it again, next time I cold-start Freely. Last time I tested it took as mentioned a little less than the number of minus degrees. It is -9 today and forecast -12 later in the week, so a new test and report is imminent Thumbs Up

Will also look for any blue smoke, that I cant remember seeing earlier Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #82321 30th Nov 2010 1:41 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I agree with dave , makes a difference At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #82323 30th Nov 2010 1:44 pm
AndyC

chicken george wrote:
I agree with dave , makes a difference

Instead of just agreeing (to disagree Laughing ), you could explain what difference you think it makes, then we can all give it a try. Thumbs Up

I have tried of course, as this has been discussed previously, but it didn’t make any difference to starting in cold weather (as earlier mentioned) Wink 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #82337 30th Nov 2010 2:47 pm
ajuniper

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Yesterday my Passat said -6 and had a ~5 second glow plug interval. I repeated the glow plug interval 3 times and then it eventually (reluctantly) fired.

The FL2 didn't do anything out of the ordinary with messages or delayed cranking and cranked straight away, and didn't start. Every so often when it tried to cough into life, the computer would drop the starter and the engine would stop because it hadn't caught properly. The battery went flat before the thing started.

I think that cycling the power a few times first helps to get the glow plugs really hot before cranking.

Post #82350 30th Nov 2010 5:33 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

chicken george wrote:
Laughing Are you sure Mrs Dave wont read that post Dave Laughing

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=xyl

Well, being a Ham then I'm using the correct terminology Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #82365 30th Nov 2010 7:31 pm
Dave

AndyC wrote:
chicken george wrote:
I agree with dave , makes a difference

Instead of just agreeing (to disagree Laughing ), you could explain what difference you think it makes, then we can all give it a try. Thumbs Up

I have tried of course, as this has been discussed previously, but it didn’t make any difference to starting in cold weather (as earlier mentioned) Wink

AndyC, you're just being grumpy as usual Laughing

Treat it as if you had the "old fashioned" ignition key, turn the ignition on, wait for the glowplug coil light to go out and then start the car. Never had any problems starting that way and the engine sounds better. Also doing it that way has stopped the trip reset problem that we and others used to get Thumbs Up ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #82369 30th Nov 2010 7:37 pm
AndyC

Dave wrote:
AndyC, you're just being grumpy as usual Laughing

Treat it as if you had the "old fashioned" ignition key, turn the ignition on, wait for the glowplug coil light to go out and then start the car. Never had any problems starting that way and the engine sounds better. Also doing it that way has stopped the trip reset problem that we and others used to get Thumbs Up

Dave, you're are wrong again Laughing

However, I never had an "old fashiond" key starting motor that used a glowplug start, so I wouldnt have had anything to compare it with the Freely.

The start method your harping on about just does not make a blind bit of difference when cold-starting, sounds more like an old wives tale or something you read about in a fairy tale. As for the trip reset problem - never heard or had that one either. If you have to go through some sort of weird start procedure to save having trip reset problems, you must have some sort of error on your Freely - best get it checked Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #82399 30th Nov 2010 10:22 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

The trip resets when the battery goes flat.

Post #82405 30th Nov 2010 10:47 pm
AndyC

Past master wrote:
The trip resets when the battery goes flat.

Logical - but never had a Freely flat battery Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #82426 1st Dec 2010 8:16 am
Dave

AndyC,

Who's harping here Question
All I've done is state the method that I use to start my car and nothing more.

If all you can do is try a pour scorn on anything that anyone types on here then you must be one sad individual.

As someone has already stated on here a few posts back, doing it by the same method as me has reduced the blue smoke on startup so it must be doing something.

I could sit here a type for hours but I can't be bothered to waste my time on a village idiot like you! ______________________
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #82448 1st Dec 2010 1:48 pm
AndyC

Dave wrote:
AndyC,

Who's harping here Question
All I've done is state the method that I use to start my car and nothing more.

If all you can do is try a pour scorn on anything that anyone types on here then you must be one sad individual.

As someone has already stated on here a few posts back, doing it by the same method as me has reduced the blue smoke on startup so it must be doing something.

I could sit here a type for hours but I can't be bothered to waste my time on a village idiot like you!

Rolling with laughter Mr. Green 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #82449 1st Dec 2010 1:51 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Moving swiftly on... Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #82518 1st Dec 2010 8:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>