Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Muscles & Fitness (was in Qashqai)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I have enjoyed this thread, I admire BF for his dedication & abstinance, but remember life,s a journey to be enjoyed along the way not when you get to your destination. I have run, and cycled all my life, there is nothing better than having a few pints or more and sharing the craic after an event. In my younger days I had some of my best results on a Sunday after Saturday Nights that were a blur.

The knees are wearing out, I have had more crashes and subsequent injurys that I should realy give up cycling, but I am not stopping running cycling or drinking unless it kills me. (one of them may well do)

As it says on a lot of Land Rover "One Life Live It " its not a practice run you know. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #77323 30th Sep 2010 8:18 pm
blinged freelander

Thank you Gufna, it's appreciated. I think everything has been said, but just because someone doen't smoke or drink, people shouldn't assume they arn't enjoying life.

Smokers reek of stale smoke, get breathless, it can effect their lungs, heart etc. Drinkers, can also reek of stale alcohol, and bar the anti social element of over indulgence, are doing harm to their kidneys, liver, heart etc.

It will catch up with them even if they feel as fit as a fiddle now. I suppose personally it doesn't make any difference to me what people indulge in, apart from I can smell either in a Force 10 Gale at 100 yards, quite literally, but when it effects their health and longevity and believe me it does no matter whats said, and it's so easy to correct, then I get frustrated.

Post #77324 30th Sep 2010 8:45 pm
khan711

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

xtattsbox wrote:
khan711 wrote:
ad15 wrote:
so far,,,, 2 knee ops, 1 broken leg, 4 crushed vertebrae, 9 smashed teeth,

I'm fit as a fiddle and have noo regrets,, just memories of crazy days..

I right there with ya mate, 2 knee ops on my right and three on my left, all toes been broken , little one's dont bend anymore, hips are now have resurfacing done, nose broken fives times.

Me too, no regrets just crazy days. Did you do rugby ?

You got one then!! FL2 that is!!

Yes mate, well, it's on order, should be taking delivery 1st week of November or so they say.

Post #77344 30th Sep 2010 10:46 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

blinged freelander wrote:
Thank you Gufna, it's appreciated. I think everything has been said, but just because someone doen't smoke or drink, people shouldn't assume they arn't enjoying life.

Smokers reek of stale smoke, get breathless, it can effect their lungs, heart etc. Drinkers, can also reek of stale alcohol, and bar the anti social element of over indulgence, are doing harm to their kidneys, liver, heart etc.

It will catch up with them even if they feel as fit as a fiddle now. I suppose personally it doesn't make any difference to me what people indulge in, apart from I can smell either in a Force 10 Gale at 100 yards, quite literally, but when it effects their health and longevity and believe me it does no matter whats said, and it's so easy to correct, then I get frustrated.

Oh dear, what a pity, how sad, never mind

Post #77352 1st Oct 2010 12:35 am
athelstan

Drinkers, can also reek of stale alcohol, and bar the anti social element of over indulgence, are doing harm to their kidneys, liver, heart etc.

blinged freelander
Not withstanding the anti social aspect of your quotation, the reference to damage to key organs is misleading as harm only occurs through sustained alcohol abuse. It should be recognized when discussing this topic that it is understood that total alcohol "abstinence" shortens life expectancy and that "abstemious" behaviour increases life expectancy.

This is not an opinion, but the conclusion of consistent independent health research validated by peers not partizan pressure groups. To put it simply, moderate intakes of alcohol actually cleanse the body's bloodstream and vital organs such as the heart, kidneys and liver. The open question is: exactly what is "moderate" as this is very much influenced by body mass.

Post #77363 1st Oct 2010 8:54 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

athelstan wrote:
Drinkers, can also reek of stale alcohol, and bar the anti social element of over indulgence, are doing harm to their kidneys, liver, heart etc.

blinged freelander
Not withstanding the anti social aspect of your quotation, the reference to damage to key organs is misleading as harm only occurs through sustained alcohol abuse. It should be recognized when discussing this topic that it is understood that total alcohol "abstinence" shortens life expectancy and that "abstemious" behaviour increases life expectancy.

This is not an opinion, but the conclusion of consistent independent health research validated by peers not partizan pressure groups. To put it simply, moderate intakes of alcohol actually cleanse the body's bloodstream and vital organs such as the heart, kidneys and liver. The open question is: exactly what is "moderate" as this is very much influenced by body mass.

yes athelstan is 100% correct, that's why I enjoy a glass of wine/whisky when the mood takes me, and to say that this is bad for my health is just sheer nonsense.

there is no question that smoking has an adverse effect on your health, so I would not even debate that one.

exercise is good for your body and spirit, but to over exercise is bad for your health ( just like your FL2, you will wear out the parts quicker and require replacements without a warranty ) ............everything in moderation is the key.

but I'm sure we do not need anyone to preach to us how we should lead our life, we are grownups and we make our own choices and each individual is different, that's what makes us interesting !!

Iain

Post #77366 1st Oct 2010 9:54 am
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up

khan711 wrote:
xtattsbox wrote:
khan711 wrote:
ad15 wrote:
so far,,,, 2 knee ops, 1 broken leg, 4 crushed vertebrae, 9 smashed teeth,

I'm fit as a fiddle and have noo regrets,, just memories of crazy days..

I right there with ya mate, 2 knee ops on my right and three on my left, all toes been broken , little one's dont bend anymore, hips are now have resurfacing done, nose broken fives times.

Me too, no regrets just crazy days. Did you do rugby ?

You got one then!! FL2 that is!!

Yes mate, well, it's on order, should be taking delivery 1st week of November or so they say.

Thumbs Up (Sorry hijacked this thread a bit...) Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #77398 1st Oct 2010 4:28 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

One of my pursuits is fly fishing and I reckon BF also enjoys the sport. He has cast his fly with precision and watched many rise to the bait.

I too have found the thread amusing and even rose to take the bait earlier on. Embarassed MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #77401 1st Oct 2010 5:04 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yep BF's a fly fisherman for sure - certainly can't knock him for it though Thumbs Up just check out the fun he had with 'This forum's disappointing' Laughing
Maybe he needs to change his name to ''Minesweeper'' as he tends to drop the depth charge and sit back and wait for the BOOM Rolling with laughter

Post #77402 1st Oct 2010 5:27 pm
blinged freelander

Oh ye of little faith!

Athelstan, you are quite right. The key to this is what amount is moderate and as you say for everone it's different.

Others, yep, it's your choice, not trying to be patronising, just cant see that you can defend your stance. I not knocking you, just try to help really. Given a choice we'd all give up what wasn't doing us any good. your just in denial.

Other, others, you give me more credit than I am due, references to fly fishing.... I am just a simple harmless soul making a point on a thread I didn't really start. anyway, onto the God question anyone? If I can't save the body, I might as well save the soul.

Post #77428 1st Oct 2010 10:17 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Now there's a thought about saving a few souls.

Watch a prog on telly this evening, someone was asked what was troubling them (or was it what did they want saving?) body, mind or soul.
This lead to an interesting of discussion, SWMBO, said her soul. I disagreeed (because thats what I do) , and said my body is Censored my soul was damned 30 years ago, but look on the bright side my mind has hardly been used.

For once she agreed Confused

Any ideas what to get for a 30th aniversary - and no she doesn't know how to log on to Freel2 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #77430 1st Oct 2010 10:37 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

30th's pearl

So give her a video camera, when she asks why? Say

Im going to give you a pearl necklace and Id like it on film Whistle

Or just wisk her away to be pampered at a luxury spa Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #77432 1st Oct 2010 10:58 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Wouldn't a day offroading at Eastnor Castle be cheaper?

Especially if I can blag a ticket out of my local dealer, she always wanted to be passenger in a RRS. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #77433 1st Oct 2010 11:09 pm
proplus

Andy131 wrote:

Any ideas what to get for a 30th aniversary - and no she doesn't know how to log on to Freel2

Spa treatment day

Post #77434 1st Oct 2010 11:14 pm
blinged freelander

Dont waste the dosh, look up on the internet the top ten free things to do, like take her on a picnic.

Money is wasted on the fairer sex and in any case, you've had to keep her for the last 30 years. It's her that should be buying you a pressi. Treat them mean to keep them keen!

In anycase, back to the subject, look after your soul and your body and mind will follow, but only if you ditch the fags and booze. Isn't it Sting the pop singer recons Tantric Sex is the way to go. Thats abstence and abstence is the way to go.

Post #77440 2nd Oct 2010 12:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>