« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Annoying whine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Annoying whine

I know it's a long time since my last post, but I do still check in from time to time.

Took the FL2 to Guy Salmon Aylesford, for a quick check on a a developing whine from the back - Sounded like a worn bearing to me. However, because the rear tyres were a bit low, they insisted the noise was tyres and to come back if the noise persisted after replacing them.

So nearly £300 later and the whining is still there, in fact I believe it is getting worse and I am now suspecting the diff is to blame?

I am on 72,000 and with the 5th service so close I am tempted to wait as they are not "just round the corner" to me! Has anyone else experienced problems like this and do you think the extra 3k will hurt? FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #73926 13th Aug 2010 9:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

My car is in on Monday again so they can sort a whine

Test drive with tech thought bearing so went in to get on ramp and said it was some switch that turns 2wd to 4wd Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #73927 13th Aug 2010 9:41 pm
xtattsbox

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Npinks, did that ever get resolved? My car has a low "thrumming" noise from the rear drivers side. Noticeable at 70 but is definitely there before. Sounds very like a bearing or something has gone, but unlikely as the car has only done 35k. I had something very similar on my Smax, so kind of live with it, but if I can get it sorted, I think that I would like to!! Hi Darling, I'll be home in 10 mins. If I'm not back, please read this message again...

Post #75174 3rd Sep 2010 3:01 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

yes check the rear wheel bearings

Post #75220 4th Sep 2010 7:30 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The thread of my outcome is

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6358.html?highlight= Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #75222 4th Sep 2010 8:07 am
Dougden

Sorry to bump this up but just to encourage others to persist........

Took the FL2 back again last week for another inspection relating the rear whine noise as it was getting even worse and dealers have finally diagnosed.......................A knackered rear diff. Which was what I thought after being told to put new tyres on.
Credit to Guy Salmon (Maidstone) so far, who have quickly found a replacement from another dealer (as Land Rover claimed not to have one Rolling Eyes) and will fit next week.

75k service is also due so they want the car for 2 days - No courtesy car available as too short notice apparantly!

Lets hope this cures it. FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #76263 18th Sep 2010 3:40 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

LR have told me the rear diff are unavailable and have had to pick one off the production line

Glad your dealership could contact some other dealers to sort you quicker than mine has going on 2 weeks now Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #76267 18th Sep 2010 4:55 pm
Dougden

Now I am worried - Wonder where mine will be coming from - Ebay maybe? Laughing

Ah well, only 6 months before this one goes back to the leasing co. I have to say that it has been very, very good but I am still not sure whether to stay with LR. I am probablly about 70% there, but the Audi A5 S-Line is very tempting and around the same price. FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #76300 18th Sep 2010 10:51 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

But not made in the UK Big Cry

Post #76301 18th Sep 2010 10:58 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

......And do you really want those LED fairy lights Rolling Eyes

Post #76302 18th Sep 2010 11:17 pm
Dougden

LED Fairy lights???

You can almost guarentee "Ther-a-commin".....a near future FL2 revision will have them to complete the range - Disco and RR already there and you just know those designers will want a full set. Wink FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #76308 19th Sep 2010 9:29 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yep that's for sure - actually surprised they didn't arrive on this facelift Shocked

Post #76313 19th Sep 2010 10:22 am
Dougden

Just to finish this off.

Took my FL2 into Guy Salmon Maidstone Monday lunchtime, and it was ready Tuesday lunchtime.
New diff, 75k service complete, washed and hoovered. Oh and a nice little tin of sweets that sits in the cup holder space.

No fuss, just polite and efficient service. 10/10 Thumbs Up

Well pleased with them and now ready for a two week break touring the West Country with no annoying whine from the back (Unless Mrs Dougden decides to sit behind me) Laughing FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #76679 22nd Sep 2010 9:14 pm
stevew

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

I've recently had the Haldex, rear diff and a wheel bearing done on mine.

The noise started as a road speed related rumble which would increase in pitch with speed and seemed to disappear at motorway speed but it was just that the wind and tyre noise masked it for a while.

The dealership thought it was the diff but Landrover advised to replace the Haldex unit first ( which then wasn't in stock in the UK or nearly a month !!) . The Haldex didn't fix it and guess what .... there were no diffs in the UK either .... They eventually got one, changed the diff and there was stilll a problem so they finally changed a wheel bearing as well.

All of this was done under warranty so it caused some grief and phone calls to Landrover but didn't hit my pocket. Mine had done around 55K and from the other posts that I've seen that's typical.

Initially the dealership said they'd never had a similar problem before but as you can imagine from the the saga above I got to know the staff pretty well in the end and they said that whilst waiting for parts for mine they had another 2 with similar faults. My advice would always be to keep pestering while it's covered by warranty. I found that waving a pile of printouts from this forum helped so thank you to those others with diff problems that posted before me. 

Post #77502 2nd Oct 2010 4:37 pm
Dougden

It's returned!!

700 miles on from the newly fitted diff and here we go again - Different type of noise but definately drive related.

Wonder if it will have to get a lot worse before the dealer will admit that there is another problem this time.

Although the last fix was done quickly once it was admitted that the diff was in need of replacement, I am dreading the next few weeks........... Crying or Very sad FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #78070 10th Oct 2010 4:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>