Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Annoying whine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Danm it! Just got a faint rumbling from the right side of the car. Hear it best when accelerating.
Wheel bearing?
Also found out that the front window heat is phucked and the Webasto doesn't start! Starting to get sick of this car now.......Out of warranty. Censored FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #79487 29th Oct 2010 8:30 am
bill

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My 09 reg Freelander developed a serious whine last week and went in yesterday.

Turned out to be air in the power steering hydraulics and LR have now produced an uprated reservoir/filter. My main dealer have apparently done several but no recall planned by LR.

They upgraded the 'auto gear change' software at the same time and it seems to run a bit smoother now.

Bill

Post #79493 29th Oct 2010 10:13 am
Chambers

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I wonder if you guys that had your diffs/haldex units replaced can describe the noise you were experiencing... And also if the noise was more apparent under power or if it was there even while coasting.

I posted to a similar thread where guys had haldex issues, and it was suggested i get it diagnosed. Well I did and my friendly LR dealer here in Ireland suggested its tyre noise...hmmmm and I dont agree, I put on a different set of tyres, and same noise still there, (me not returning to the local LR dealer again, charged me 80 euro to tell me that!!!)

I experience a fairly faint "wheel bearing" noise from left rear, the noise is there under power/acceleration and coasting out of gear. Strangely enough, the noise seems to go away when travelling over very smooth tarmac, and comes up more amplified travelling over the older rougher type tarmac...strange I know, but its definitely there. Vehicle has covered only 45mls, but by the sounds of it, its not uncommon for diffs/haldex units to go at this mileage! Common sense tells me its a wheel bearing, but could be a diff bearing too (I've been told they can now change the bearings in the diff if they go, where they seemingly couldn't before)

Any input or suggestions of you guys that have had these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Post #85456 25th Dec 2010 11:25 am
alex_pescaru

If you put the same type of tyre or similar in pattern, yes, you get the same noise.

Still, wheel bearings can be tested in the following way:
If when cornering to the right (machine is leaning to the left) the sound is amplified, then one (or both) left wheel bearing(s) is(are) defective.
The opposite, if when cornering to the left (machine is leaning to the right) the sound is amplified, then one (or both) right wheel bearing(s) is(are) defective.
In other words, if the level of the sound is increasing when you try to put an increased stress on a certain side of the car/wheels, then one of that side wheel bearings has problems.

Post #85473 25th Dec 2010 5:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12